Dutch tapping law to be reconsiderd

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-netherlands-referendum/dutch-say-no-in-referendum-on-spy-agency-tapping-powers-idUSKBN1GX0QU

A while ago a new law was introduced in the netherlands which allowed for a lot more freedom for the security agency. They could now tap about everything they wanted. After a lot of protests a referendum was called for which was held yesterday. With almost all votes counted it seems there is a very slight inclination to "no" but the results are almost 50/50.

Personally I was one of the "yes" voters while I believe a new law was needed because the last law originated from the 1980's and internet wasn't a consideration then. But the law was a bit to open on part, still personally I believe it was better then having nothing. But I can also see the reasons why people would vote "no". But it seems the results we are getting now are the best for both parties as the dutch government is considering reevaluating the law and making changes too it. This isn't 100% sure yet but it's going to be interesting to see what this will result in. And hopefully the Dutch can once again set a good example on how to balance security and privacy.

Any other dutch people here who want to weigh in on the discussion or other people who want to voice their opinions?

i personally voted "no", but pretty much for the same reasons as you

i do think that a well throught-out law would be the best option here, but if the choice was between that law or nothing, then my vote goes to nothing hands down. there where just too many holes in it. i get that if they can just tap everything, they can also easier filter out the bad stuff, but that also means they can just always tap everything! no reasons needed, just tap away. 

imo that isn't the solution to this. i sure hope they go and reform the law to better fit what the people want.

best bijzonder om over nederlandse wetten te praten tegen nederlandse mensen in het engels trouwens. :P

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

i personally voted "no", but pretty much for the same reasons as you

i do think that a well throught-out law would be the best option here, but if the choice was between that law or nothing, then my vote goes to nothing hands down. there where just too many holes in it. i get that if they can just tap everything, they can also easier filter out the bad stuff, but that also means they can just always tap everything! no reasons needed, just tap away. 

imo that isn't the solution to this. i sure hope they go and reform the law to better fit what the people want.

best bijzonder om over nederlandse wetten te praten tegen nederlandse mensen in het engels trouwens. :P

Yeah I also wanted reforms, but personally I prefered to have something (even this) instead of nothing :). but I think most people who voted wanted it to be changed. To bad there was no option for that.

16 minutes ago, Genericplane said:

i first read this as  "duck taping law to be reconsiderd"

This is a danger to Canada's main pastime. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Agency: There's a guy who's going to make weapon deal for AK 47 and M4, and he even ask for custom paint job for it, let's swat him.

20mnts later

FREEEEZE, You are under arrest for buying illegal weapons and suspicious terrorist activity.

The guy: " I'm playing CS:GO "

it's never god to give someone or something unlimited and unchecked power

“It’s not that our country is unsafe, it’s that this law will make it safer,” OMG O.o

At least they ask permission. The NSA and CIA just do what they want. The law be damned. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Why do they even want this? In the last 10 years there was exacly 1 "attack" in the netherlands and there were 0 victims. WTF is this law going to change about that? 

About the attack, a few hitler fans threw molotov cocktails in a mosque and nobody got hurt. (dutch source) https://nos.nl/artikel/2139914-vier-jaar-voor-brandstichting-met-terreuroogmerk-moskee-enschede.html

Yeah we really need laws like this to protect us from a handful of neo-nazi's... /s

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I voted no too. Yes the current law might be from 1980 or something, but the new suggested law has a few holes on it. I voted no in the hope they reconsider the new law and change it. Change it and make it better and then we'll see.

Arjan Lubach ftw :P 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

I voted against as well. The current wording of the law is too flawed, not enough privacy guarentees in there. Come back and fix the law, then I can vote yes on not having a terribly outdated law.

Welp