How Do You Think Target Was Hacked?

Chosenminecraft

OK there's lot of theories on how target was hacked, and this is a pretty big scam to to affect 40 million people. How do you think it was done?

I think it was an inside job and it was done using a custom firmware on the pinpads. I am a cashier at Target and this definitely wasn't a swap in the pinpads themselves, or any part of them. The ones at my store were the same and you could tell cause of the screen scratches and some wear ans tear was the same before and after Black Friday. Plus the scale would just too massive. There`s 26 Checkout Lanes + 2 at electronics in my store and theres more in the food court and guest services.

Sources: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/18/secret-service-target-data-breach/4119337/

http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/18/news/companies/target-credit-card/

Current Rig:
Intel core i7-4790k, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0, Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1, Corsair H100i, Kingston Hyperx Fury 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, WD Red 3TB (RAID 1), Corsair RM750, NZXT HUE, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe.

They hijacked the internets tubes and twisted them to their evils ways

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Please explain before going to theories

...Wtf happened with target

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Please explain before going to theories

...Wtf happened with target

40 million cc got ripped.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Well since Target is from Minnesota they were probably like 

CEO #1 - "Ooh lookie here, there are some people trying to get into our network ya know?"

CEO #2 - "It's cold out there let them in!"

CEO #1 - "You betcha!" 

BOOM 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

40 million cc got ripped.

dafugle how?! xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

dafugle how?! xD

Target won't say. I think they might not even have fixed the leak yet. 

I7-4770k - ASUS Maximus VI Formula - 16GB ADATA 2133MHz - EVGA 780 SC - 512GB Intel SSD - 2TB WD Black - Thermaltake DPS 750W

honestly they probably found a breach through the system somewhere, because if you think about it there is a lot of places the information goes through. it might not even be on target's end but with the link between them and the banks.

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

The part I'm really confused about is how could they have gotten so much cc information? Does Target send all their credit card processing through a central location then send the requests for authorization to from there instead of sending them directly from each store? It really seems like that information shouldn't ever be sent from store to store or store to corporate or wherever it was gathered.

Who knows though, they may just send all the cards to a third party who then directs them to the right people to authorize the transactions and they may have been breached. In which case it may be bigger than target cause I doubt target would be their only customer.

They were specifically targeted.

hue hue hue

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Anyone care to link to an article or something?

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

I really cannot stand criminals.  Why is it that I can follow the rules that we agree on as a society but others cannot.  What's worse, is that their actions affect my life.  I shop at target and now I am going to have to watch my credit and debit cards.  It is amazing how horrible human beings are.  Happy Holidays, huh?

This is easy to solve NSA!

NSA was spending too much time on Xbox One so the crooks got away with it.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

For Australians reading this thread. Target US and Target Australia are not the same. Westfarmers (coles group) have a license to use the name and logo in Australia. Other than that the two stores are unrelated.

Target: sup dude

Haxor: yes lad

Target: Want to hax me since you are a haxor

Haxor: no its k

Target: are you sure I just disabled windows firewall

LEET HAXORs: HUEHUE ALL UR CC ARE BELONG TO US

Haxor: GG target

Target: :( leet haxors y u do dis

LEET HAXORs: HEHEHE EviL

Target: leet haxors pls :'(

EDIT: I don't even know.

Edited by evilHamsterzZz

I just can't believe the US STILL hasn't adopted pin/chip .. that seems like such an amazing flaw in security right there. Someone could pinch a CC, swipe the details off of it using a $6 mag strip reader, load it onto a blank card, and yeah .. wut.

#!

Because those are also easy to hack into

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

I don't know how but surely it's interns' fault.

Signatures are stupid.

It dumbfounds me a little that it happened in the first place but its been fixed already I think. I think they waited till its been fixed till they said anything about it to avoid mass panic and to keep sales up.

Current Rig:
Intel core i7-4790k, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0, Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1, Corsair H100i, Kingston Hyperx Fury 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, WD Red 3TB (RAID 1), Corsair RM750, NZXT HUE, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe.

Employee planted malware probably.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat