Razer Manticor

Skylark

What a stupid purchase. I bought this because of several good reviews and the metal base however after opening it up I am thoroughly disappointed.

Firstly, Its marketed as Razers "Elite" line of products, however its literally just a thin (1/8) sheet of aluminum with a bit of rubber on the bottom.

Secondly, the carrying case.  What a ridiculous product to accompany a mouse pad.  I think the case cost more to produce then the mouse pad itself.

Thirdly, the black surface is extremely prone to fingerprints.  I have had this on my desk for 20 minutes and it is already littered with fingerprints.

Fourly, the noise.  I was just using my desk previously and that was fairly loud when the mouse glides.  The Manticor is even louder.

And the price.  This thing retails for 50CAD and I can't understand why.  What an utter disappointment.

Pics:

post-46874-0-62145000-1387508714_thumb.j

post-46874-0-21322300-1387508799_thumb.j

post-46874-0-53385000-1387508802_thumb.j

post-46874-0-02999300-1387508810_thumb.j

post-46874-0-66202300-1387508817_thumb.j

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

THAT RAZER LOGO IS UPSIDE DOWN AND MY OCD IS KILLING ME

but really, does the mousepad feel any better?

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

Well for the finger prints, it is a sheet of aluminum. This means that they are magnets to oil. Also you can always return it. Lastly, I would say that Razer is a "gaming" brand. it is targeted to the new people, not people who are on this forums.

Quote me to get a reply!

Well for the finger prints, it is a sheet of aluminum. This means that they are magnets to oil. Also you can always return it. Lastly, I would say that Razer is a "gaming" brand. it is targeted to the new people, not people who are on this forums.

hey hey.... The DA2013 is by far the best mouse in existence atm :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

THAT RAZER LOGO IS UPSIDE DOWN AND MY OCD IS KILLING ME

but really, does the mousepad feel any better?

Not a huge difference IMO.  The desk it was sitting on was pretty flat and the optical mouse Im using with it is pretty versatile on a variety of surfaces.

Ya I cant really fault Razer for that, however I was expecting a cloth/ textured surface with a metal base, not an entirety metal mousepad.  Ill be returning it for a steel series pad on the weekend.

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

Well, that is opinion. I love the G602s.

Quote me to get a reply!

I have that mouse and actually like it.

Not a huge difference IMO.  The desk it was sitting on was pretty flat and the optical mouse Im using with it is pretty versatile on a variety of surfaces.

Ya I cant really fault Razer for that, however I was expecting a cloth/ textured surface with a metal base, not an entirety metal mousepad.  Ill be returning it for a steel series pad on the weekend.

SteelSeries QcK is a good one.

Quote me to get a reply!

You should've put more research into it before you bought it.

Agreed.  It was an impulse buy, went in for a monitor for the wife.

I use the Razer Goliathus, it's a nice mouse-pad and perfect for my needs. 

704fb083-27c4-4017-8edc-3cfae4d87225.jpg

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I use the Razer Goliathus, it's a nice mouse-pad and perfect for my needs. 

704fb083-27c4-4017-8edc-3cfae4d87225.jpg

I have the same one, I like the newer versions that are completely the Razer logo.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

I like the mouse pad personally but I do prefer slick and/or hard pads.

I really appreciate the case and think they should actually advertise it. Its great for storage and portability.

Why worry about fingerprints and how are you getting so many on it? If my hand is on the mousepad its on the mouse. I would just pick up a microfiber cloth and give it a wipe every now and then.

Yes its loud because its a very hard very smooth pad so there is more surface area of the mouse feet touching the pad. Also the fact that its hard makes it louder even though its very smooth.

Its retails for that much because its anodized aluminum (possibly coated) not cloth or molded plastic.

Agreed. It was an impulse buy, went in for a monitor for the wife.

O thought id ask how old are your mouse feet. Hard pads do better the newer your feet are, they also wear out your mouse feet quicker.

DO NOT BUY RAZER FOR GOD SAKE!!

They have the best look for peripheral imo, but after a month or two you can clearly see some degradation from their products.

DO NOT BUY RAZER FOR GOD SAKE!!

They have the best look for peripheral imo, but after a month or two you can clearly see some degradation from their products.

That all depends on what razer products your talking about. Many are quite good but there are plenty that are not, thats why there are reviewers and forums like this. Over the last year or so their quality has definitely improved on the products I use at least.

That all depends on what razer products your talking about. Many are quite good but there are plenty that are not, thats why there are reviewers and forums like this. Over the last year or so their quality has definitely improved on the products I use at least.

Not really for me. Believe me I'm using all razer and only my blackwiddow that still working properly, Cherry MX  to be more precise.

aluminum mouse pads are an acquired taste. I had an old Steelseries SX that I used for a few years. At the beginning I hated it (the sound especially) but the way it tracked was too good to let go, so I stuck with it. Nowadays the only hard pads I'll use are aluminum. At home I used a QCK+ but at work I'm using an InWin purple anodized aluminum pad and I really like both of them.

Can't stand plastic hard pads for the most part though, and they'll never give you the durability of a sheet of anodized aluminum.

Not really for me. Believe me I'm using all razer and only my blackwiddow that still working properly, Cherry MX  to be more precise.

I currently have the Deathadder 2013, Naga 2014, Ouroboros v2, 2x Orbweavers, Manticor, Invicta, Sabertooth, and a Onza TE.

First and foremost DO NOT buy the Onza TE no matter how great the deal is it will just fall apart I have been though I think 5. It is better than the standard X360 controller but is super fragile, even when treating it kindly. I have had the last one apart after my warranty was up to fix what I could. I managed to get it working again but what I saw under the shell was a horror story. If you do want a nicer X360 controller get the Sabertooth it fixes every issue with the Onza as well as taking everything up a notch, most importantly quality. I have now had the Sabertooth longer than any of the Onza TE's and the only issue I had was a kinked cable which Razer promptly replaced since it removable. That reminds me I use it a bunch more on my PC because of that, I just wish I could buy a second so that I could leave them on the devices I use it on like I do micro b cables on chargers.

The only other issues that I have had so far have been driver issues with the ouroborus which I havnt looked into yet since its more of a quirk than anything.

aluminum mouse pads are an acquired taste. I had an old Steelseries SX that I used for a few years. At the beginning I hated it (the sound especially) but the way it tracked was too good to let go, so I stuck with it. Nowadays the only hard pads I'll use are aluminum. At home I used a QCK+ but at work I'm using an InWin purple anodized aluminum pad and I really like both of them.

Can't stand plastic hard pads for the most part though, and they'll never give you the durability of a sheet of anodized aluminum.

I agree with you. I also has the SX for many many years with a Ikari Laser. But a little over a year ago I had to start looking for a replacement for it because the SX does have a coating other than anodizing on it and mine finally lost it in the central usage area. I found these mouse pads, which I still like and use to this day. I used both the NGen and NGen04 switching between them for probably about a 6-8 months. I liked how slick and smooth they were but the NGen really lacked the hard feeling and I didnt like that the NGenO4 was basically on the surface of the desk for some reason. Maybe im just used to having a slightly raised mouse pad? I found Razer's offering one day and have stuck with them since. The reason I switched to Razer pads is SteelSeries discontinued all of their good hard pads and Razers lineup is quite close to what SteelSeries had with the SX, SP, and S&S. Right now im using the Invicta mainly, which you might want to give a try @LinusTech since its "unique". The only problem with it is that you can only get it direct from Razer's store from what I see. its my guess that this has to do something with the milled aluminum base and the price.

Well that's what you get when Razer catch you with their advertising and marketing. And I dunno why someone would go for a 50$ mousepad in the 1st place. But Razer isnt bad in everything. Their "Deathadder" mice, "Goliathus" mousepads, "Blackwidow" keyboards are all great

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Well that's what you get when Razer catch you with their advertising and marketing. And I dunno why someone would go for a 50$ mousepad in the 1st place. But Razer isnt bad in everything. Their "Deathadder" mice, "Goliathus" mousepads, "Blackwidow" keyboards are all great

Youd pay that much because it a great aluminum pad?

Youd pay that much because it a great aluminum pad?

From what the OP said, it doesnt seem so great... Also you dont NEED an aluminium pad. There are manyu other materials which track very smoothly with little friction if thats what you want.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

From what the OP said, it doesnt seem so great... Also you dont NEED an aluminium pad. There are manyu other materials which track very smoothly with little friction if thats what you want.

You have to like a hard smooth pad to enjoy a aluminum pad, linus said it pretty well when talking about his SteelSeries SX.

But what if an aluminum pad is what you want or has the properties you want in a mousepad? Aluminum pads are actually very very smooth possibly the smoothest mouse pad you can get, this however makes them not very slick since you touching a lot of the surface area of the pad with the mouse feet.

Plastic, especially textured plastic is far slicker and is probably the slickest youll get for a hard pad. The C4 Ngen pads a mentioned are slicker as their literally made of PTFE the same as mouse feet but their not really a hard pad.