Is a mouse with forward/back button worth the extra price?

avg123

Do you think it is necessary for a mouse to have  forward/back button? How often do you use it?

Are the 2 extra buttons worth it?

Edit: I edited the title.

I have six buttons on my mouse, but I only use 2 for back and forward. I seldomly use the other buttons in games if I map them.

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

I have six buttons on my mouse, but I only use 2 for back and forward. I seldomly use the other buttons in games if I map them.

how often do you use forward and back?

i use the foreward/back buttons on my mouse constantly. it is faster then clicking refresh so often i pretty much just always use the back button.

in games i usually map things like grenades to the buttons.

Just now, tjcater said:

I have 0-4 side buttons, two dpi switches (total of 5 or 6 maybe? dpi's) a scroll wheel lock, and the scroll wheel button left to right and down and the standard buttons. I usually have the left side buttons on and the right ones off, i only use the left button for talking in-game, never for web browsing.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

If you just want the option of going forwards and backwards and nothing else then the turtle beach grip 300 should do, in my opinion

2 minutes ago, avg123 said:

how often do you use forward and back?

Very often.

2 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

I have 0-4 side buttons, two dpi switches (total of 5 or 6 maybe? dpi's) a scroll wheel lock, and the scroll wheel button left to right and down and the standard buttons. I usually have the left side buttons on and the right ones off, i only use the left button for talking in-game, never for web browsing.

I omitted the DPI switches and battery mode in my count :P How much control over your scroll do you need :o

Just now, tjcater said:

Very often.

I omitted the DPI switches and battery mode in my count :P How much control over your scroll do you need :o

Why...

Lolbutwhy.. All the control

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I have forward/back buttons on my mouse too. I legit wouldn't wanna use a mouse without those buttons. I use them all the time in browsers or Windows Explorer. I have the ability to remap the key in games and such. For teamspeak/discord I use my forward button as a push to talk button so I can keep my left hand on the keyboard and the right hand on the mouse. 

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

I must control everything. My mice have to have at least 5-6 remappable buttons.

I love the forward/back button. Even have them on my office mouse.

As others have stated, a very common use would be to hold down one of them for voice chat in games. I also made use of them while playing Diablo and mapped 2 extra skills there.

i have 12 side buttons and i use all of them (and have multiple profiles for them), so in my opinion, very much so

CPU: i7-8700K

Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z370-A

Memory: 32GB TridentZ RGB

GPU: Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming
Storage: 256GB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Black, 1TB Seagate somethingorother

6 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

I must control everything. My mice have to have at least 5-6 remappable buttons.

My friend, Ryan, tried to convince me to get a $34 mouse on Amazon with 12 remappable side buttons, as compared to my Logitech G900 that I got for $92.71 on ebay, refurbished. The $34 one was wired and had a mediocre sensor compared to the G900. Because pro gamers need cheap mice.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

My friend, Ryan, tried to convince me to get a $34 mouse on Amazon with 12 remappable side buttons, as compared to my Logitech G900 that I got for $92.71 on ebay, refurbished. The $34 one was wired and had a mediocre sensor compared to the G900. Because pro gamers need cheap mice.

number-mouse.jpg

This is my current mouse.

Just now, Legendarypoet said:

number-mouse.jpg

This is my current mouse.

B89E69A3-D98A-4959-A0B3-2B514B434E55.gif

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

I am a fan of extra buttons on a mouse because in games or software, these buttons can be bound for ingame functions. in web browsing i do use the backward button a lot and occasionally use the forward

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Never thought I'd need forward/back button until I used a mouse with them. After less than a week, using any mouse without them was horrible.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

3 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

B89E69A3-D98A-4959-A0B3-2B514B434E55.gif

0C9A0104-Edit.thumb.jpg.07af23075c8273a9a66f6df5a59c0f5e.jpg

Ok fine, it's the MX Master 2.

I actually can't live without at least the forward/back buttons and a scroll wheel. I had an IT department give me a two button mouse one time and the next day brought my own in to use at work just because I couldn't stand the one they gave me...

Okay, I have a G502, and probably the game I play the most by far is Skyrim. Now, the game won't actually let me reassign some of the buttons on the mouse to different things. I have Wait, Invintory and Favorites all reassigned. Two of the buttons I don't use as often default to Sneak and (strangely) Sneak+AutoMove(makes me go into a sneaking stance and I start walking. Very convenient when I'm doing something like eating or getting something to drink with the other hand while still being mobile.)

For the day to day, I do use forward and back, though admittedly I use back a lot more then forward.

27 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

0C9A0104-Edit.thumb.jpg.07af23075c8273a9a66f6df5a59c0f5e.jpg

Ok fine, it's the MX Master 2.

That thing has one amazingly smooth thumb scroll

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

I have a CM Storm Devastator mouse, and I like it. The only extra buttons are forward/backward, but are very useful.

I mapped building hotkeys in Fortnite to the thumb buttons which has saved my life many times since, and when web browsing or doing things with files, I use those buttons constantly.

-Moved to Peripherals-

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Recently bought an MX Master 2 for work to replace the crappy HP cheapo one that came with the work comp. It's so much better (especially as I have a G602 at home).

4 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

That thing has one amazingly smooth thumb scroll

1 minute ago, IntMD said:

Recently bought an MX Master 2 for work to replace the crappy HP cheapo one that came with the work comp. It's so much better (especially as I have a G602 at home).

I have the original champagne/gold or whatever master, still an outstanding mouse. First decent regular use mouse I ever bought (used cheaper still wireless 3 button logitech for years before it)

3 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

I have the original champagne/gold or whatever master, still an outstanding mouse. First decent regular use mouse I ever bought (used cheaper still wireless 3 button logitech for years before it)

^^^ Yeet. I've got the OG Gold and black MX Master as well, excellent mouse. Awesome for working especially, I do a lot of excel spreadsheets so I use the buttons for copy, paste, cut, etc. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch