Thinking of doing a cable mod on the cheap for my son's pc and ...

ImNotDeViLzzz

Thinking of doing a cable mod on the cheap for my son's pc and thought black electric tape would be a safe and simple solution.  Yes?  He has a windowed case and I want to get rid of the PSU and fan wires that are all over sporting their yellow, red and whatever color scheme. It looks ghastly and while I don't usually care about that I thought it would be nice to finally get something done with that.

Then I think your son would hate you for the rest of his life...

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Then I think your son would hate you for the rest of his life...

Uh no he would not hate me.  Trust me.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'd just buy some custom sleeving kits and sleeve the cables.

The cost of that versus electric tape is a huge difference so I just want to know if using electric tape is ok.  Yes or no?

Just now, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

Uh no he would not hate me.  Trust me.

If you are going to do something do it properly (i.e. buy proper sleeved cables). 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The cost of that versus electric tape is a huge difference so I just want to know if using electric tape is ok.  Yes or no?

Electric tape will work, but I highly doubt your son would like it. If either of you want it to look good at all, don't use electric tape.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

Thinking of doing a cable mod on the cheap for my son's pc and thought black electric tape would be a safe and simple solution.  Yes?  He has a windowed case and I want to get rid of the PSU and fan wires that are all over sporting their yellow, red and whatever color scheme. It looks ghastly and while I don't usually care about that I thought it would be nice to finally get something done with that.

I would not suggest to us electrical tape your going to end up with a sticky mess overtime as the tape adhesive degrades. You would be much better off with sleeving the cables or using split loom sleeving to wrap the wires. 

https://www.amazon.com/Split-Braided-Cable-Sleeving-Techflex/dp/B01MTMZGBG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1521404547&sr=8-6 

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Electric tape will work, but I highly doubt your son would like it. If either of you want it to look good at all, don't use electric tape.

Again my son would like it.  Glad to hear it would work.  Also I know it will look fine as I know for this I will have the patience to do this right.

Again my son would like it.  Glad to hear it would work.  Also I know it will look fine as I know for this I will have the patience to do this right.

Are you completely sure your son would like it?

Electric tape isn't really good for increasing aesthetics, you might as well use different colored duct tape.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, W-L said:

I would not suggest to us electrical tape your going to end up with a sticky mess overtime as the tape adhesive degrades. You would be much better off with sleeving the cables or using split loom sleeving to wrap the wires. 

https://www.amazon.com/Split-Braided-Cable-Sleeving-Techflex/dp/B01MTMZGBG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1521404547&sr=8-6 

That mention of a sticky mess is one thing I really didn't think much about. Damn!

Sleeving is cheap...

Or just buy fan extensions premade

I'll just say this: electrical tape will become a sticky mess

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

you might as well use different colored duct tape.

He'll be wanting to use PVA glue as thermal paste next :) 

زندگی از چراغ

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Are you completely sure your son would like it?

Electric tape isn't really good for increasing aesthetics, you might as well use different colored duct tape.

Yeah I am sure it would look fine.  As for using other tape if I used anything else it would be a blue the same color as the 200 mm fan. The case is an Antec 1100 D.

1 minute ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

Yeah I am sure it would look fine.  As for using other tape if I used anything else it would be a blue the same color as the 200 mm fan. The case is an Antec 1100 D.

Just forget the tape idea...please 

زندگی از چراغ

9 minutes ago, JDE said:

Sleeving is cheap...

Or just buy fan extensions premade

I'll just say this: electrical tape will become a sticky mess

I need sleeving that covers the entire mess of cables running from the PSU and I am not seeing it on the site I am looking at.  I am not interested in taking apart the connectors and then sleeving the individual wires.  The PSU he has is not modular so that makes things more difficult going beyond the tape solution.

This is the cheap place I found so far ...

https://www.moddiy.com/categories/Cable-Sleeving/

Also just looking at this site more closely clearly I can't do this. I need something that wraps around the wires like tubing it or whatever.

(Btw I am in Canada so cheap is not something common here.)

I need sleeving that covers the entire mess of cables running from the PSU and I am not seeing it on the site I am looking at.  I am not interesting in take apart the connectors and then sleeving the individual wires.  The PSU he has is not modular so that makes things more difficult going beyond the tape solution.

I live in BC lol

Amazon and Newegg are good places to find premade sleeving if you are that type of person

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, JDE said:

I live in BC lol

Amazon and Newegg are good places to find premade sleeving if you are that type of person

Amazon on a quick search had horrendous prices.  As for Newegg they make me miss NCIX for pc stuff. LOL!  If there is something cheap that will work link it but again when a person starts talking electrical tape for a mod you know how cheap they are talking.  It is too bad I can't do the work needed to rewire the connections but it is what it is.

10 hours ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

Amazon on a quick search had horrendous prices.  As for Newegg they make me miss NCIX for pc stuff. LOL!  If there is something cheap that will work link it but again when a person starts talking electrical tape for a mod you know how cheap they are talking.  It is too bad I can't do the work needed to rewire the connections but it is what it is.

@ImNotDeViLzzz check out VL Canada - we have our basic extension kits there at $29.99 CAD. :)
https://www.vlcanada.com/products/cablemod-basic-modflex™-cable-extension-kit-dual-6-2-pin-series

17 hours ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

Electrical tape will do the job but it will typically age badly. 

If you ever need to remove it then it will typically leave residue on the cables. This is not noticeable in the first weeks but gets worse over time.

If you stretch it too much when applying it then it can cause all sorts of problems later on as it will try to shrink back. This can expose parts of the loom, cause kinks, etc...

Taping the loom will usually make it stiffer.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

21 hours ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

I need sleeving that covers the entire mess of cables running from the PSU and I am not seeing it on the site I am looking at.  I am not interested in taking apart the connectors and then sleeving the individual wires.  The PSU he has is not modular so that makes things more difficult going beyond the tape solution.

Also just looking at this site more closely clearly I can't do this. I need something that wraps around the wires like tubing it or whatever.

I suggest doing Bulk Sleeving which is Similar to what EVGA does with there stock cables. Just use Adhesive heatsrink at the ends which will glue it down to the sleeving and wires.

EVGA-SuperNOVA-8-PIN-TO-dual-8-6-pin-_57

Tech-Flex Sleeving can expand allot and fit over the connector, you can buy it from Amazon and such places.

Link: https://www.techflex.com/land_genpurp.asp

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

Thanks for all the help people. You gave me some great options that I will look to use in the future.  The electrical tape idea will be set aside.

I’ve done it to hide short wires in a blacked out case. It looks janky if you can see it. But for short runs to camouflage some fan wires or something with works ok.