Microsoft wants to force Windows 10 Mail users to open links in Edge

Nowak
15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I agree. I know it was in the plans, to have Edge engine tied with Windows (because of its integration with UWP apps), and have the front-end GUI separated. So that they can focus on web browser features. But sadly that has never happened, and they are not a single word. I don't think MS managed to pull that off.  Maybe a lack of managerial push, or they enclosed themselves in a such a way that they are stuck. I really don't know. Regardless, it is very sad.

This is why I generally don't have much confidence in things Microsoft "are coming later". They have canceled so many things that were "coming to Windows 10" already.

Remember the Android bridge?

16 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

This is why I generally don't have much confidence in things Microsoft "are coming later". They have canceled so many things that were "coming to Windows 10" already.

Remember the Android bridge?

Then there was also the Android subsystem that was included in a couple of the Windows Mobile builds.

Edit: Here I am mentioning the same thing thinking they were separate :S

Just now, tjcater said:

Then there was also the Android subsystem that was included in a couple of the Windows Mobile builds.

I think that was part of the Android bridge.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

I think that was part of the Android bridge.

For some reason I was thinking of the two as separate projects. (In my mind I was thinking the Subsystem was for normal apks and the bridge for converting the code base.)

Ill stick with using the web mail with Comcast and Gmail. No need to a mail app on my PC. Plus If I wanted a mail app, Id use Thunderbird. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

28 minutes ago, Methos said:

TOOT TOOT!!!!

All aboard. Next stop 100% closed off and locked down OS

Highly doubt MS would be that stupid. Because that would mean there would not be much reason to stick with Windows to begin with. 

18 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Highly doubt MS would be that stupid. Because that would mean there would not be much reason to stick with Windows to begin with. 

With the current Microsoft I'd believe it. It seems like they keep pushing garbage to test public backlash and fanboy loyalty. Maybe it's to get the livestock desensitized to a bleak future.

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Looking back how many stupid things they done since this bad farce started with the making of windows 10.... Well its not far fetched i would say.

Rumors has it that they are incentivizing OEMs to ship computers with S-mode enabled by default.

That means you will only be able to run programs from the Microsoft Store by default, and there is a risk that they might change for unlocking it (like they currently do with Windows 10S computers) although I don't think that has been confirmed. If anything, I think they said they would not do it, but that might change in the future).

Moving towards UWP exclusive programs is clearly their long time goal, and that is an extremely locked down platform.

It only makes sense MS would want to push their own software. I don't use Windows Mail so I don't really care. What bothers me more is how annoying it has become to change standard apps. Like not even Office can set itself to be the standard apps for its supported file types, you gotta do it all manually as far as I know.

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Rumors has it that they are incentivizing OEMs to ship computers with S-mode enabled by default.

That means you will only be able to run programs from the Microsoft Store by default, and there is a risk that they might change for unlocking it (like they currently do with Windows 10S computers) although I don't think that has been confirmed. If anything, I think they said they would not do it, but that might change in the future).

Moving towards UWP exclusive programs is clearly their long time goal, and that is an extremely locked down platform.

Which is why MacOS and Linux exists. Microsoft can act like they have no competitors, but eventually it will catch up with them. Also EU regulations could be broken by this, the EU requires they allow other Web Browsers a shit be installed, whos to say that there will be UWP versions of Chrome and Firefox, etc. Sounds like they are opening themselves for another EU bend over and take it session. 

If Microsoft ever pulled this shit, Id move to Linux and not look back. That just means an extra $100 in my pocket for not having to purchase a Windows License. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Which is why MacOS and Linux exists. Microsoft can act like they have no competitors, but eventually it will catch up with them. Also EU regulations could be broken by this, the EU requires they allow other Web Browsers a shit be installed, whos to say that there will be UWP versions of Chrome and Firefox, etc. Sounds like they are opening themselves for another EU bend over and take it session. 

If Microsoft ever pulled this shit, Id move to Linux and not look back. That just means an extra $100 in my pocket for not having to purchase a Windows License. 

Don't forget, they also got in trouble with the US for trying to monopolize computers by locking users into Internet Explorer and their ecosystem in 1998.

I don't know what is going inside Microsoft, and even if I was working there, I would probably be blocked to talk about anything with full on NDA without approval.

But to me, it looks like poor managerial decision at the mid-high level, where the Edge team need to get some goal of usage, and as it is not going much anywhere, instead of pushing the Edge team to make the ultimate browser, they force the software on people.

I hope Microsoft backs0out of this, and I am sure within Microsoft, people aren't happy by this, and as compromise of sorts agreed to see based on feedback from the affected Insiders. They probably hope that they get sufficient back-lash as additional lever to undo this stupid decision.

Just now, Daring said:

Don't forget, they also got in trouble with the US for trying to monopolize computers by locking users into Internet Explorer and their ecosystem in 1998.

But that is because they had 90+% usage

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't know what is going inside Microsoft,

Whats going on is they put that idiot as CEO. I rather have Ballmer back. 

Does anyone actually use that? I use Google Inbox (inbox.google.com, miles better than Gmail)

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

40 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I don't think this decision is from the CEO.

Say what you will about the new CEO of Microsoft, the company was a flat line since Ballmer was a CEO, and now the company is skyrocketing.

Ballmer is what destroyed the image of Microsoft, and has brought this culture that made made talented people at Microsoft leave (they are now coming back, slowly, based on a news article I recall reading). Ballmer was running Microsoft like if we were the 90's.... today.

I remind you:

• Zune slowness of execution and brown color was because of Ballmer
  • You want to buy a Zune MP3 player.. Apple have their own dedicated display in all retailers, all well illuminated, with working devices. Zune -> with the other reject MP3 players collected dust and the light turned off, in the corner of the store, and the devices have no power. Ballmer not understanding anything.
  • Courrier concept canceled -> Ballmer decision (he didn't understand the concept of a tablet)
  • Microsoft not understanding the point of premium hardware in phones, making people pick other devices -> Ballmer
  • Microsoft not understanding that you need to market your consumer oriented device, and not "they will come" (see Windows Phone) -> Ballmer
  • Microsoft not understanding that you need fast releases of Windows mobile OS in this highly competitive environment, and not make people wait 3 YEARS before people can get an update (which by that time, the phone is obsolete) -> Ballmer
  • Microsoft not understanding that you need to bring incentive to carriers to have they sale your phone -> Ballmer. Due to no incentives, Carrier where pushing Android phones from manufactures that now, today, are massive: LG, Samsung, etc. That is how it works.
  • XBox... Ballmer was completely against the idea since day 1. Only allowed it as a pet project from Bill Gates.
  • Everything you hate with the poor managerial decision of Microsoft is the wonderful culture that Ballmer has embedded for YEARS inside Microsoft. Changing that is very difficult, might require employee replacement, and rooting out these people can be very difficult.
  • XBox One mess story. Yup Ballmer. The XBox team is fighting to fix Ballmer mistakes.

And I can go and on and on...

To be clear, I am not saying that the current CEO is perfect either. Ballmer is not better.

28 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I think Microsoft PERFECTLY knows that they are dying. Why do you think:

• Now Microsoft is all nice with Linux and even now has embedded Linux in Windows without virtualization, included OpenSSH client and server in Windows, allows all Linux distro to join. Now you have: Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, SUSE Enterprise, Debian GNU/Linux, Kali Linux (yes! NO joke), and now Fedora is in the works.
  • Microsoft is all open and encourage open source projects.
  • Focuses on Android (mostly) and iOS, with many Microsoft services no longer "Windows only" including Office. This has been very successful for Microsoft
  • Re-focuses on developers of all kinds even if you have an iOS developers, Microsoft wants to make Windows the platform of choice (a goal that they are pushing, hence Linux integration and all that).
  • Focuses on schools and low cost market by trying to bring low cost and/or secure systems for school with limited to no IT, and/or restricted in budget. (Windows 10 S, and Windows 10 for ARM for the long term)
  • Focuses on cloud as a way to survive. So far they are doing an excellent job, being right behind Amazon (which are the biggest), and they are very close.
  • Tries to fix the mess by the XBox One initial release. Recall the super locked down, digital only box. Recall the massive push of TV first and gaming second in an area where people are cutting cable more and more (shows you how disconnected Microsoft was), and the ugly VCR box design. Now, they get the Surface team to design the XBox, and the company tries to fix all the wrong the decisions from the past, and still pays the price today.

24 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't think this decision is from the CEO.

Say what you will about the new CEO of Microsoft, the company was a flat line since Ballmer was a CEO, and now the company is skyrocketing.

Ballmer is what destroyed the image of Microsoft, and has brought this culture that made made talented people at Microsoft leave (they are now coming back, slowly, based on a news article I recall reading). Ballmer was running Microsoft like if we were the 90's.... today.

So, TL;DR phones and xbox,while Windows was still pretty good until he was gone? Microsoft still struggles with phones when Android & Apple has always had all the market share.

While Balmer was CEO the management of Windows OS was a lot better until Nadella and windows 10,needs to start with getting rid of him and getting someone that isn't trying to turn MS into Apple with a closed locked down OS.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I think Microsoft PERFECTLY knows that they are dying. Why do you think:

• Now Microsoft is all nice with Linux and even now has embedded Linux in Windows without virtualization, included OpenSSH client and server in Windows, allows all Linux distro to join. Now you have: Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, SUSE Enterprise, Debian GNU/Linux, Kali Linux (yes! NO joke), and now Fedora is in the works.
  • Microsoft is all open and encourage open source projects.
  • Focuses on Android (mostly) and iOS, with many Microsoft services no longer "Windows only" including Office. This has been very successful for Microsoft
  • Re-focuses on developers of all kinds even if you have an iOS developers, Microsoft wants to make Windows the platform of choice (a goal that they are pushing, hence Linux integration and all that).
  • Focuses on schools and low cost market by trying to bring low cost and/or secure systems for school with limited to no IT, and/or restricted in budget. (Windows 10 S, and Windows 10 for ARM for the long term)
  • Focuses on cloud as a way to survive. So far they are doing an excellent job, being right behind Amazon (which are the biggest), and they are very close.
  • Tries to fix the mess by the XBox One initial release. Recall the super locked down, digital only box. Recall the massive push of TV first and gaming second in an area where people are cutting cable more and more (shows you how disconnected Microsoft was), and the ugly VCR box design. Now, they get the Surface team to design the XBox, and the company tries to fix all the wrong the decisions from the past, and still pays the price today.

But they are still making shit decisions. Windows 10 as it stands is a turd, but a tolerable Turd. If they lock it down, it will be an unusable turd. They need to stick with what made Windows great. It was highly customization and has a large software library. If they take that away then there is really no reason to use Windows. As far as Windows 10S is concerned, they dont have pricing right on that. I can buy a Chromebook for $129 all day long, Last Windows 10S device I saw was fucking expensive. Plus Windows runs like shit on lower end hardware at least from my experience. 

Microsoft supported Windows 10 mobile far too long. Id agree there, they should have moved to a more friendly approach of just sticking apps on all devices. They also should have supported Android sooner, as they really could have done something there. As far as Linux goes, Microsoft has been stealing ideas from Linux for years. Thats why they started adding more power on the command line in Windows Server and why the UAC exist. Solely because of Linux. 

Why would I use the included mail app in Windows 10 when I don't use 99% of the other ones?

Just stop Windows. Just make the fucking OS and focus on that. That's all anyone wants of you. No one wants your Apple-Lite(Like?) eco-system.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

23 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

While Balmer was CEO the management of Windows OS was a lot better until Nadella and windows 10,needs to start with getting rid of him and getting someone that isn't trying to turn MS into Apple with a closed locked down OS.

Why not, instead of blaming Satya Nadella, you blame the head of the Windows team, Joe Belfiore? You know, the guy who drove Microsoft's mobile platform ambitions into the ground after 3 false starts? Yeah, real great record right there.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

Why not, instead of blaming Satya Nadella, you blame the head of the Windows team, Joe Belfiore? You know, the guy who drove Microsoft's mobile platform ambitions into the ground after 3 false starts? Yeah, real great record right there.

Because the CEO sets the tone of the Company. The CEO makes a big difference. Look at John Legere over at T Mobile. Took that company from 0 to acutally being able to compete with the evil death star and big red. Or as he calls them Dumb and Dumber. 

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't think you can put the blame for all the things you listed on Ballmer alone either.

As for Microsoft skyrocketing, that depends on what metric you use. Their stock has skyrocketed, but I think the quality of their products has dropped like a rock.