can this small scratch be cause of death of my gpu?

humblecu

so i started watercooling my gpu (linustechtips. com/main/topic/905617-did-my-first-gpu-liquid-cooling-diy-style-now-questions/?tab=comments#comment-11137577) everything was fine until i started not being satisfied with my 65 degree temp so i decided to cut the zip ties holding the pump on the die, reapply the thermal paste and make the zip ties tighter so that pump sits tighter on the gpu die, i managed to put this scratch on the card and it stopped working after that, monitor doesn't display anything and backplate where die is doesn't get hot at all. mobo doesn't beep and basically nothing happens.

monitor and mobo are fine, i did try the card in another slot and still nothing. do you think it died that easily? 

IMAG0452.jpg

I don't think a small scrach like that would stop even the voltage regulators from running...

@TheRandomness

Its hard to tell if the traces have been cut through though. Can you wipe the area with a tiny dab of WD-40? It might help clear up the area and show the traces better.

6 minutes ago, humblecu said:

so i started watercooling my gpu (linustechtips. com/main/topic/905617-did-my-first-gpu-liquid-cooling-diy-style-now-questions/?tab=comments#comment-11137577) everything was fine until i started not being satisfied with my 65 degree temp so i decided to cut the zip ties holding the pump on the die, reapply the thermal paste and make the zip ties tighter so that pump sits tighter on the gpu die, i managed to put this scratch on the card and it stopped working after that, monitor doesn't display anything and backplate where die is doesn't get hot at all. mobo doesn't beep and basically nothing happens.

monitor and mobo are fine, i did try the card in another slot and still nothing. do you think it died that easily? 

IMAG0452.jpg

a closer image would help more , from a quick look , there seems to be traces there so yes that could(did) kill your gpu from the sounds

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Damn, yep. You killed it. If you know an electronics wizard you might be able to fix it. 

increasing mounting pressure wont increase performance once it's sufficiently tight, mind you.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

i did cut through tracers, it's very clear under sun light. damn dude i loved this card. well it is what it is, thanks for the replies.

IMAG0454.jpg

On 3/16/2018 at 10:31 AM, Jurrunio said:

increasing mounting pressure wont increase performance once it's sufficiently tight, mind you.

i know, the pump would easily slide, i was trying to make it sit a little bit more tight.

On 3/16/2018 at 8:26 AM, humblecu said:

i did cut through tracers, it's very clear under sun light. damn dude i loved this card. well it is what it is, thanks for the replies.

-snip-

Scrape off the solder mask and solder the traces back together. Alternatively, draw a line with liquid metal thermal paste, the smallest amount you can.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

59 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Scrape off the solder mask and solder the traces back together. Alternatively, draw a line with liquid metal thermal paste, the smallest amount you can.

Do not used liquid metal for this type of stuff.  Solder is easy to fix this with.

LM thermal paste creates an amalgam with most metals and will destroy solder if it comes in contact with it.

8 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Do not used liquid metal for this type of stuff.  Solder is easy to fix this with.

LM thermal paste creates an amalgam with most metals and will destroy solder if it comes in contact with it.

However, there's no solder anywhere near the scratch at the scale of this little issue. Soldering individual traces might be quite hard, and he shouldn't use a wire since the length of the trace needs to be preserved in order for the memory system to work properly.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

However, there's no solder anywhere near the scratch at the scale of this little issue. Soldering individual traces might be quite hard, and he shouldn't use a wire since the length of the trace needs to be preserved in order for the memory system to work properly.

And if it ends up under the GPU from getting knocked around during installation.  Wonder how that would end up.

Soldering small traces is very easy, it will bead itself onto the individual traces if you use flux.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

And if it ends up under the GPU from getting knocked around during installation.  Wonder how that would end up.

Soldering small traces is very easy, it will bead itself onto the individual traces if you use flux.

He wouldn't have to use much liquid metal at all, and due to its cohesion it should stay in place even if he shakes it about. It forms a conductive oxide if left out long enough, which (if he uses a very small amount and then pulls away all of the liquid) should stay.

Of course soldering is going to be more reliable in the long run, but it's easier to apply and potentially cheaper since you'd need a small tip and soldering iron and solder. Though both require the solder mask to be scratched off.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

He wouldn't have to use much liquid metal at all, and due to its cohesion it should stay in place even if he shakes it about. It forms a conductive oxide if left out long enough, which (if he uses a very small amount and then pulls away all of the liquid) should stay.

Of course soldering is going to be more reliable in the long run, but it's easier to apply and potentially cheaper since you'd need a small tip and soldering iron and solder. Though both require the solder mask to be scratched off.

You dont need a small tip.  You could do it with a huge wedge tip.

You just have to use a lot of flux.

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

You dont need a small tip.  You could do it with a huge wedge tip.

You just have to use a lot of flux.

A small tip would be more precise, though. And considering the traces are less than half a millimeter apart, I think it'd be a better idea to use a smaller tip.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

A small tip would be more precise, though. And considering the traces are less than half a millimeter apart, I think it'd be a better idea to use a smaller tip.

Because you dont know how to solder.

The easiest method involves no tip at all.

Pretty easy fix considering the prices on GPUs now.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

ahhhh you fucked up

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

• 2 weeks later...

too late to try anything, i disassembled my PC a while ago and sold everything even my 1080ti so i don't have access to a PC right now, i'm going to be super busy finishing college then doing my mandatory army service after that, even if i wanted to do anything for this card that scratch is too tiny to solder for me, what are the chances of messing it up further?