UPDATE: Gunmetal R6 and Coffe Lake

I first decided I wanted to try my hand at PC building back in August 2017. I stumbled upon this website and a few tech tubers and started getting to know the new Z370 chipset. I ordered everything and when it all arrived put it together and did an external test boot. Everything worked! I was really happy nothing went wrong, I've read some stories about the X Hero board and was nervous. I first updated the bios then OC'd the ram and finally installed Windows 10. After everything was up and running I safely stored the components in the closet while I waited for my case.

Hardest part was deciding on the case. I had finally landed on the Define R6 in gunmetal and ordered it in January.  On March 7th, the release date, I received an email from NewEgg stating they would not be fulfilling my pre-order. I decided it was time to move on, my PC had been sitting in the closet for over a month now waiting for a case and I was excited to get things rolling.

I went to a local MicroCenter and found the Meshify C. A nice case to build in and quite compact. I spent a little time overclocking the CPU, I believe I have a stable OC at 5.0GHz. I ran Prime95 for 3hours and saw max core temps at 73'C. I've also run CinebenchR15 and 3DMark. If anyone has any other suggestions or tips for OC stability I'd love to hear them.

Without further ado here is the finished product. Enjoy!

System Info

Motherboard: ASUS - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)

Processor: Intel - Core i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz

CPU Cooler: Fractal Design - Celsius S36 

Memory GSkill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Graphics ASUS - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card

Hard Drive: Crucial - MX500 2TB 2.5" SSD

Storage Drive: Western Digital - Gold 4TB HDD

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 

Monitor: ASUS - PG279Q ROG Swift

parts overview.jpg

CPU Installed.jpg

Case Shot 1.jpg

RAM.jpg

VRM.jpg

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Nice clean looking build. Really like the blue behind the dark smoked window.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

I noticed an issue with your setup you specifically tried to hide ;)

If you had noted Kyle from BItWit's video you would have known about it ahead of time. At which point I would have suggested to go with the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG

Other than not having a third fan in your RAD, nice build!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I noticed an issue with your setup you specifically tried to hide ;)

Wasn't necessarily trying to hide it.  It was a last minute case decision, there aren't many options when trying to buy local.  I was very disappointed when I tried to install the GPU and found out it wasn't going to fit.  Again my original plan was the Define R6 but Fractal can't seem to get their affairs in order...

When it finally releases I'll be moving things over to that case.

Good eye ;)

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

Wasn't necessarily trying to hide it.  It was a last minute case decision, there aren't many options when trying to buy local.  I was very disappointed when I tried to install the GPU and found out it wasn't going to fit.  Again my original plan was the Define R6 but Fractal can't seem to get their affairs in order...

When it finally releases I'll be moving things over to that case.

Good eye ;)

The R6 is a stellar case. Highly considering it for my next build. Not to knock the Meshify, it' a good stand in for now; it's just long GPU's and front mounted rads dont mix too well. And if anything it's a good thing you just so happened to get the S36 and not the S24, because then it would be like having a slim 120mm rad right now! Definitely updated us when the R6 steps in!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_0903.thumb.JPG.135e8bf1bfe3c0da101b298c09ef3568.JPG

UPDATE!

I finally got my R6 in gunmetal, this case is great.  Enjoy a few new photos with the case.

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG5abe3e44aa698_FireStrike-3DMarkcomparisonOC.JPG.b9a942555222e5c516ff86d82bf30bd0.JPG

• 7 months later...

Just a quick update.  The setup has changed a bit.

Went vertical for the GPU and grabbed a second monitor.

1126646631_PhilipsHue.thumb.jpg.6b04b01759ac51457b901ac60eabc990.jpg