I'm torn which Cherry MX switch to get

danielsuarez369

I'm planning on getting the Corsair K70 RGB, but I'm not 100% sure which cherry mx switch to get. I occasionally type a lot due to school, but it will be a keyboard mostly used for gaming. I often play Overwatch, Rainbow Six siege, The witcher 3 and other games. I read the sticky post but it doesn't include Cherry MX speed, which is supposedly better for gamers.

I personally have the Roccat Ryos TKL Pro with the blue switches because I love the clicking. I also typed on the red switches, in my opinion they feel softer. To be hones I don't think it matters to much if you the speeds or not, as that's just a very small difference. Maybe you should get a switch tester kit (https://www.amazon.com/WASD-6-Key-Cherry-Switch-Tester/dp/B00AZQKCD4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520614597&sr=8-2&keywords=cherry+mx+switch+tester) if you really feel like you need the MX speeds then you need to search for another keyboard

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

The K70 Rapidfire has the MX Speed switches (from what I researched in that short time)

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

my personal favorite for gaming are the reds. the clears don;t feel right to me, and i now have a board with gateron blues (Cherry clones) and they are amazing for typing since the click and bump are very pronounced, but pretty terrible for gaming.

10 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

but pretty terrible for gaming.

I find my cherry blues perfectly fine for gaming. They are however a little too light for me meaning I actually find my Outemu blacks to be a little better overall (but I do miss the bump hence zealios or clears will probably be my next switch :P). 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

My favorite for both gaming and work are the Cherry MX Browns.  They're pretty soft but have enough of a tactile bump so you know when you actually actuated the keys.  If I was only gaming I'd have MX Speeds, but they are terrible for typing IMO.

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I find my cherry blues perfectly fine for gaming. They are however a little too light for me meaning I actually find my Outemu blacks to be a little better overall (but I do miss the bump hence zealios or clears will probably be my next switch :P). 

You must have fingers of steel haha

2 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

You must have fingers of steel haha

I guess having played the piano for something like 12 years means my fingers are used to hitting harder? I also do rock climbing which does strengthen your fingers a little so that probably doesn't help either? 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

39 minutes ago, danielsuarez369 said:

Corsair K70 RGB

If you are getting the k70 then I would recommend getting brown switches, they are a good middle ground and pretty much everyone can agree that they are pretty great. Some people have other preferences but if you don't know what your preference is then browns is a good safe choice to go with

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

1 hour ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

My favorite for both gaming and work are the Cherry MX Browns.  They're pretty soft but have enough of a tactile bump so you know when you actually actuated the keys.  If I was only gaming I'd have MX Speeds, but they are terrible for typing IMO.

Okay thank you! Wasn't expecting you to be here haha! Thanks everybody I guess i'm getting the MX browns! 

Think I should pay just $20 more and get the K95? At this point might as well get the macro keys 

5 minutes ago, danielsuarez369 said:

Okay thank you! Wasn't expecting you to be here haha! Thanks everybody I guess i'm getting the MX browns! 

I have the Razer equivalent to Blues and used to have Real cheery switches. Must admit I wish I'd gone for browns as I love the feel of the blues but the noise can get a little annoying after a while 

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

9 hours ago, danielsuarez369 said:

I'm planning on getting the Corsair K70 RGB, but I'm not 100% sure which cherry mx switch to get. I occasionally type a lot due to school, but it will be a keyboard mostly used for gaming. I often play Overwatch, Rainbow Six siege, The witcher 3 and other games. I read the sticky post but it doesn't include Cherry MX speed, which is supposedly better for gamers.

Ill suggest brown ... there are like in the middle between red and blue imo ... good for typing and gaming ... its a very personnal choice however

Server 1 PC                                                   Server 2 PC                                               GEAR

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700                                                   CPU: Athlon 200GE                                               Keyboard: Logitech G Pro Keyboard

Motherboard: Aorus AX-X370-K7                            Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H              Mouse: Logitech G900

CPU Cooler: Wraith Spire RGB                                CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler                                    Mousepad : Corsair MM300

Ram: Kingston 32GB 2666MHz                                Ram: Patriot Signature Line 8GB 2666MHz          Monitor: Acer XZ350CU Black 35" 21:9 144 Hz  

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti                              HDD: 1X WD Red 2TB                                           Headphones : Audio technica ATH-AD700X                          

HDD: 5X Seagate Barracuda 7.2k RPM 1TB            SSD: 1X128GB Samsung Evo                              Speakers: Logitech Z506 5.1

SSD: 2X512GB Samsung Evo                                  PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 500 W1

PSU: HGC 850W Antec 80+ Bronze                         Case: Rosewill 2U Server Chassis

Case: Rosewill 4U Server Chassis           

Reds or Silents if you like that linear feel. Browns if you need tactile confirmation of actuation.

Speeds will actuate if you breathe on them.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:53 AM, danielsuarez369 said:

which ones are you torn between? When I first got into mechanical switches I tried a few at best buy and thought that browns would be a good place to start. I still like browns better than membrane keyboards, but have switched to blues and probably won't go back. 

It's true that for strictly FPS gaming, something like reds is better because they actuate with less force but I really like the click and tactile bump on the blues, and since I use my desktop quite a lot for typing it was a no-brainer... plus I don't really play FPS games, certainly not competitively.

Worst case scenario you can always get 2 keyboards. I ended up buying 4 so far, first one was WASD tkl with browns, then a Coolermaster TKL with blues, then Corsair K70 LUX RGB with blues, and I just imported an ASUS ROG Claymore with blues to get my setup all ASUS Aura-sync compatible.

At work I have a Cherry branded keyboard with MX browns as a compromise between comfort and not annoying the crap out of my coworkers with the loud click of blues. However, our team secretary loved my blue switch keyboard so much she got the blue switch version of the Cherry kb I use there so I should have just got that one as well...

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

Blues are very loud and not for everyone. I have a K70 with Browns, and I like it but the tactile bump people go on about feels less like a bump to me and more like a "scratchy area," almost like there is sand in the switches. I'm not 100% sure I wouldn't have preferred Reds. I use it to type and game; I think either would be fine for both though, I'm not convinced you need one for one application and one for the other.

Short version: if you can get to a shop with them on display side-by-side so you can try them back to back, do it. I couldn't at the time as none around displayed them. They all do now though.

*Sigh*

9 hours ago, Sir_Loin_Ofsteak said:

Short version: if you can get to a shop with them on display side-by-side so you can try them back to back, do it. I couldn't at the time as none around displayed them. They all do now though.

I live in the middle of nowhere so I don't have that option unfortunately... gonna go with the MX Browns as a safe bet

Browns are good. I like mine. I might have gone Reds had I been able to try them back to back actually, but whichever you pick you'll be getting a great switch.

I like cherry mx browns, they perform similarly to cherry mx blues however they are a bit more quiet and I like them for typing and gaming. For gaming, I think you should get cherry mx speed switches.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Cherry MX speed all the way - they are great for gaming and also good for typing but u just have to get used to the shorter actuation - Once u get used to the speed switches there's no turning back .

Also another thing most people don't mention about the speed switches is the fact that because of the shorter stems there is almost ZERO key wobble compared to all other switches I've typed on -

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

Blue switches are amazing to type on, but... they can also be very loud and problematic, especially if you live with a girlfriend or boyfriend. Sometimes I will stay up late and my girlfriend will complain that I am making too much clicking noises. Other times she stays up late and I can't sleep because of the constant clicking.

I have K70 OG Red-Backlit with Blue, K70 RGB (1st Gen) with Blue, plus an E-Element with Japanese Blue switches.

I've also have an Ajazz keyboard with black switches and have tried out friends Red, Brown, and Razer Orange switches...

Red switches are very linear and easy to press. No tactile feedback or bump. Also do not click, like Blues.

Black switches are a bit harder than Reds and don't click like Blues. Both Blacks and Reds are linear switches without any tactile bump for when the keys register.

Browns are similar to blacks, but have a tactile bump or feel when you press down on them. They also don't click.

Razer Orange switches are like browns but easier to press. They have a tactile feel.

Blues have a tactile feel, like browns, but also have the extra click sound and tactile feedback when bottomed out(like a resonance on the keycap when it clicks).

Both Blacks and Browns are great for typing essays. If you don't have heavy hands, Reds are also good, but if you tend to rest your hands on the keycaps, then reds are kind of bad for typing. You will find yourself pressing keys on accident (personally not a problem for me as I hover my fingers over keycaps rather than rest). 

Experience: I am also a student! I type up tons of lab reports every semester and blues have been my personal favorite, second only to blacks and browns. 

Check Out My 2 PC Builds! - Fall 2015

Check Out My Twin PC Builds! - Fall 2016 (Revival)

Should also be noted though that if you're used to membrane keyboards, all mechanical keyboards will feel loud by comparison. 

Nothing beats membrane for quietness...

It really all comes down to preference, I have a keyb with mx clears that I find just as easy to game with as mx reds. That being said I would try going to a store and testing out different keyboards if you can, I only found my favourite switches by testing them out. Just remember that there is no "best" switch for any task, its all subjective.

Honestly, none of them will make a giant difference on games.  It depends on your personal preferences.

I have blue switches.  They feel satisfying to type on and the noise doesn't bother me (despite me being irritated by noises easily)

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage