CDMA carrier but all phones are GSM

Go to solution Solved by NinJake,

I had a CDMA only carrier in 2016, last year I switched over to T-Mobile, not only was I able to get the GSM one plus 3T, but my plan is cheaper for unlimited data AND they gave me a deal for switching off my other carrier, AND ported my number over.

Why don't you just switch to a GSM carrier then?

1 hour ago, Himommies said:

Unless your current carrier is giving you serious loyalty bonuses then you might want to switch.CDMA by itself is a pain in the ass

I would still call the customer service beforehand though as they probaly will give you a discount if you;ve been with them for 5 plus years

Yeah true it is a true pain in the fucking ass.. unlocking phones is a nightmare.. Sprint wanted me to pay $200 to unlock my iPhone 6! I wanted to unlock it last month but no way I'm paying that bullcrap.. and since there's very little third party unlocking options(unlike GSM networks) i'm pretty much stuck with it.. 

I had a CDMA only carrier in 2016, last year I switched over to T-Mobile, not only was I able to get the GSM one plus 3T, but my plan is cheaper for unlimited data AND they gave me a deal for switching off my other carrier, AND ported my number over.

Why don't you just switch to a GSM carrier then?

1 minute ago, danielsuarez369 said:

Yeah true it is a true pain in the fucking ass.. unlocking phones is a nightmare.. Sprint wanted me to pay $200 to unlock my iPhone 6! I wanted to unlock it last month but no way I'm paying that bullcrap.. and since there's very little third party unlocking options(unlike GSM networks) i'm pretty much stuck with it.. 

Move to Canada lol

Carriers here are obligated to unlock for free

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, JDE said:

Move to Canada lol

Carriers here are obligated to unlock for free

Lol, the FCC here made a contract with Verizon where they were forced to unlock all phones when bought.. Verizon is planning to undermine this and since Ajit Pai is a Verizon puppet of course they're not gonna give a shit.. the FCC is just a big corporate puppet

Well, thanks for the help. Wish I didn't have to switch carriers to be able to buy any phone I want but now I kind of know enough about this problem to make an educated decision. Forum post successful.

1 hour ago, robotsalad said:

Well, thanks for the help. Wish I didn't have to switch carriers to be able to buy any phone I want but now I kind of know enough about this problem to make an educated decision. Forum post successful.

Just not supporting these scumbags is good enough. Verizon is destroying the internet to be able to make a quick buck. 

15 hours ago, danielsuarez369 said:

Why not join a superior network like AT&T? What state are you in? Unless ur in the middle of Montana or Wyoming ur probs better off with AT&T 

Just FYI, I'm in middle of Montana and AT&T has great service here.

@robotsalad check https://gsmarena.com for the devices you want. It will show all the various models of said device, usually corresponding to regions. Inside those details, you can find what bands that device supports, along with all the other tech specs. 

1 hour ago, Kc7vwc said:

Just FYI, I'm in middle of Montana and AT&T has great service here.

@robotsalad check https://gsmarena.com for the devices you want. It will show all the various models of said device, usually corresponding to regions. Inside those details, you can find what bands that device supports, along with all the other tech specs. 

Oops, I was looking at native coverage maps where I saw a big noticeable gab on all carriers, so I just assumed apologies. Now that I look at it better it looks like AT&T has the best coverage in montana actually 

2 minutes ago, danielsuarez369 said:

Oops, I was looking at native coverage maps where I saw a big noticeable gab on all carriers, so I just assumed apologies. Now that I look at it better it looks like AT&T has the best coverage in montana actually 

Np, Changed a lot in last couple years. T-Mobile was barely even here 2 years ago & now they're closing on at&t's coverage, from what i hear. 

Though it is fun sometimes to keep up the myth that Montana is still living 50years behind everyone else. ;)