Should I get the he4xx?

LethoX
Go to solution Solved by Max_Settings,

For bassy music? No the HE4XX don’t have a lot of bass. I have a set coming by the end of the month so I’ll let you know about gaming. I’m writing a sub $200 Massdrop headphone showdown. HD6XX vs. K7XX vs. T-X0 vs. HE4XX

Hey people! I've been thinking about buying the massdrop hifiman he4xx. Only thing holding me back is I don't know if it would be an upgrade compared to my current headphones.
At the moment I use my Philips x2 and philips shp9500 the most.
I'm a FPS gamer, so I need a big soundstage and good detail. But I also listen to "bassy music" quite a lot. Would the he4xx be an upgrade to the philips x2/shp9500.

For bassy music? No the HE4XX don’t have a lot of bass. I have a set coming by the end of the month so I’ll let you know about gaming. I’m writing a sub $200 Massdrop headphone showdown. HD6XX vs. K7XX vs. T-X0 vs. HE4XX

5 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I'm betting the HD6XX wins.

Has Massdrop done any good closed back headphones?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I listened to 650 (same as 6xx) and 4xx. 650 is better. That's why I own them and not the 4xx

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Fostex TH-X00 (technically they are semi-open), EMU Teak (semi open), and EMU Purpleheart.

Edited by Max_Settings
Forgot the EMU Teak are not a Massdrop exclusive

3 minutes ago, spwath said:

I listened to 650 (same as 6xx) and 4xx. 650 is better. That's why I own them and not the 4xx

Well I own every $100-$200 Massdrop headphone besides the new HD58X which no one has yet.

5 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Fostex TH-X00 (technically they are semi-open), EMU Teak (semi open), and EMU Purpleheart.

How much was the EMU Teak? Those look nice. I have a feeling the Purpleheart's would be too small for me.

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Well I own every sub $100-$200 Massdrop headphone besides the new HD58X which no one has yet.

Haha, do you have a separate room with walls covered in headphones, drawers with headphones carefully displayed in them, and a display case in the center of the room to show off your favorites?

5 minutes ago, spwath said:

Yeah, that's what I've heard. Neither interest me though.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

How much was the EMU Teak? Those look nice. I have a feeling the Purpleheart's would be too small for me.

I forgot those aren't a Massdrop exclusive if you know a guy who knows a guy like I do, then you can get them any time you want. They were $500.

Haha, do you have a separate room with walls covered in headphones, drawers with headphones carefully displayed in them, and a display case in the center of the room to show off your favorites?

I just have these hooks hanging under my desk, A headphone room is what I'm going to get when I win the lottery xD

Yeah, that's what I've heard. Neither interest me though.

You should seriously consider the HD650 or HD6XX, they are amazing.

Bassy music might've been the wrong term. I want something with some bass there, unlike the ad700x.

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

I forgot those aren't a Massdrop exclusive if you know a guy who knows a guy like I do, then you can get them any time you want. They were $500.

I just have these hooks hanging under my desk, A headphone room is what I'm going to get when I win the lottery xD

You should seriously consider the HD650 or HD6XX, they are amazing.

Are they not usually available any other way?

Haha, with a lottery budget the room should have a jack by each headphone, sources built into the wall, and a huge comfy chair in the middle of the room. Then you can just plug in the headphones you want, plug it in, relax. Maybe throw in an LED star ceiling like a Rolls Royce.

I'm not a fan of open headphones, or ones that use fabric ear cups :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

you already have a fidelio x2, which are basically on the same footing with all the headphones you've listed. You literally need to step up and spend at least $700 to get a real noticeable upgrade in general sound clarity

Oh wow, I think it will be a while before I ever spend that much. Would an amp/dac do anything to the x2? Currently running them off of my motherboard (asus z170 pro gaming)

Thanks for the answers everybody.

2 hours ago, xtroria said:

you already have a fidelio x2, which are basically on the same footing with all the headphones you've listed. You literally need to step up and spend at least $700 to get a real noticeable upgrade in general sound clarity

I disagree, you don’t need to spend that much for a difference. The X2s aren’t spectacular headphones overall, they are fun.

12 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

I disagree, you don’t need to spend that much for a difference. The X2s aren’t spectacular headphones overall, they are fun.

Which headphones would you recommend for pure FPS footstep sound whoring? Because I feel like my X2's lack in that department.

2 hours ago, LethoX said:

Which headphones would you recommend for pure FPS footstep sound whoring? Because I feel like my X2's lack in that department.

Fostex T50RP hands down. They are the greatest gaming headphones ever. Words can  not describe how insane they are for footsteps. I made this status update a few weeks ago about them.

I've gotten accused of wall hacks in every single BF1 game I've played over the last few days. It's these T50RP headphones. These are legal wall hacks. Their imaging is so amazing you can hear footsteps with pinpoint accuracy. I camped a building and got 20 kills with a revolver by out maneuvering everyone just based upon hearing them and moving accordingly. They were so mad and called all kinds of hacks. Or when I'm sniping and I hear someone coming up behind me I ready myself with my revolver and I destroy them in 2 shots without taking any damage because I can hear exactly where they are and get first shot. They always call walls on that because they are used to people using crap 7.1 virtual surround and not being able to hear them sneaking up on them.

I've told @Legendarypoet and @Masr to get a set, and they both agree they are just stupidly insanely good for gaming. But there are a few issues. First of all they need Shure 1540 pads, because the stock ones are unusable. Then they are right about the hardest headphones ever to drive. You need a Magi 3 minimum to drive them, and even that isn't enough to get then to full potential, but it's close. But these headphones are meant to be modded, down the road I would consider a mod, either the Mayflower V1, or Argon mod. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LN6I1WS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC1540-Replacement-Alcantara-Headphones/dp/B00HXAV0UY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520703866&sr=8-3&keywords=shure+1540&dpID=51F88xaEGAL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-3

Then there are the cheap things I would reccomend getting now if you can afford them, but they aren't essential like the pads. I would get a Vmoda cable, because I don't like the stock cables, and I would get a Mr. Speakers leather comfort strap because that greatly improves the comfort further.

https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Extended-Audio-Cable-Dark/dp/B00MYTR7NS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520703973&sr=8-2&keywords=vmoda+cable&dpID=41RywNTIqIL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.mrspeakers.com/shop/accessories/mrspeakers-leather-comfort-strap.html

Really appreciate the help you're giving me @Max_Settings. Would the shure 1840 pads work? Because I already have a pair of those on my philips shp9500.

About the AMP, I probably should own one by now anyway since I have 4 different headphones. But my problem is that I use a V-moda boompro mic, that I don't want to change out and all the amps I can buy here in Denmark doesn't have a MIC output. It would be nice for me to have that mic output, because I'm struggling with my mic being too quiet. But since it's impossible to find, I probably have to buy a "normal?" AMP. Which one would you recommend?

These are my headphones if you that's important for your choice of AMP. Philips SHP9500, Philips X2, AKG k702, Beyerdynamic dt770 (80 ohm) and Fostex T50RP in the near future. Thanks again for all the help!

Just now, LethoX said:

Really appreciate the help you're giving me @Max_Settings. Would the shure 1840 pads work? Because I already have a pair of those on my philips shp9500.

About the AMP, I probably should own one by now anyway since I have 4 different headphones. But my problem is that I use a V-moda boompro mic, that I don't want to change out and all the amps I can buy here in Denmark doesn't have a MIC output. It would be nice for me to have that mic output, because I'm struggling with my mic being too quiet. But since it's impossible to find, I probably have to buy a "normal?" AMP. Which one would you recommend?

These are my headphones if you that's important for your choice of AMP. Philips SHP9500, Philips X2, AKG k702, Beyerdynamic dt770 (80 ohm) and Fostex T50RP in the near future. Thanks again for all the help!

1840 pads work. What do you mean by “normal Amp”?

One without a mic output. English is obviously not my main language, hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to say. If not then just tell me and I'll try to fix it.

Look at the Mayflower ARC. It has decent power and can do a mic pass through for the boom pro. Also you might look at the T20RP it has the same driver but it is technically considered open and has better bass response and they work better with the 1840 pads.

I've looked at the Mayflower ARC so many times.. I just wish I could buy it, but it will end up being 350 USD instead of ~250. Because of VAT and what not. But I've seen people say the T20RP aren't as clear and detailed as the T50RP. Would you agree with that?

Maybe a bit. The T20 has more low end which sometimes can overpower detail. The T50 has more treble, but still a considerable amount of bass.

20 minutes ago, LethoX said:

@Max_Settings Alright, I'll go with the T50 then. But what AMP should I get to run them perfectly?

Emotiva A100 BasX is the cheapest option. It’s a speaker Amp with a headphone out. You have to take the lid off and it comes with a jumper you have to put in and it allows you to put the entire power of the speak Amp into the headphone out. There’s instructions on how to do it in the user manual. 

5 minutes ago, LethoX said:

Awesome, thanks for all the help. 

No problem.