Rough day on the graphics card hunt.

MaxFubar

Got a notification from nVidia this morning, 1080 ti in stock!!!!  Clicked the link literally 2 minutes after it hit my inbox, OOS.  Had a refurb 1080, non-ti, in my cart a Newegg for $579, went to check out, OOS.  I hate this crap, I don't want to wish ill on anyone, but I hope this Crypto-currency thing falls flat on it's face soon.  I'm tired of it, and I know we operate in a supply-and-demand economy, but this is ridiculous.  /rant

I've got an EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4GB and it works pretty well at 1080p for most titles, but I've worked hard the past 3-4 years as a single dad to get my finances in order and get to where I can spend some money on upgrading my rig.  Anybody have any ideas on where to get a 1080 or 1080 ti at a reasonable price?

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 3600(Stock Clock)

Cooler: EVGA CLC 280 

Motherboard: ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus WiFi

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC3

RAM: 32GB(2x16GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600

SSD: WD Blue 3D NAND M.2 250 GB

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB  

Case:  Fractal Design Meshify C

PSU:  Seasonic Focus 650W 80+ Gold

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!!!" --Elwood Blues

2 minutes ago, MaxFubar said:

Got a notification from nVidia this morning, 1080 ti in stock!!!!  Clicked the link literally 2 minutes after it hit my inbox, OOS.  Had a refurb 1080, non-ti, in my cart a Newegg for $579, went to check out, OOS.  I hate this crap, I don't want to wish ill on anyone, but I hope this Crypto-currency thing falls flat on it's face soon.  I'm tired of it, and I know we operate in a supply-and-demand economy, but this is ridiculous.  /rant

I've got an EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4GB and it works pretty well at 1080p for most titles, but I've worked hard the past 3-4 years as a single dad to get my finances in order and get to where I can spend some money on upgrading my rig.  Anybody have any ideas on where to get a 1080 or 1080 ti at a reasonable price?

i feel your pain 

2 minutes ago, MaxFubar said:

Troll Craigslist, Letgo and OfferUp. Once in a great while, someone will post something that they clearly don't understand the value of, or they'll just want to get rid of it. If you're quick to the draw, you can get a good GPU at a decent price.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

are people even using 1080/1080ti for mining? I thought they had stopped making them cause of upcoming 2xxx series

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

are people even using 1080/1080ti for mining? I thought they had stopped making them cause of upcoming 2xxx series

Yes, and the upcoming 11XX/20XX(whatever they are calling it) is still just a rumor.

3 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

Yes, and the upcoming 11XX/20XX(whatever they are calling it) is still just a rumor.

Well they are coming there's no doubt, its the release date that's rumoured

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Miners are only part of the problem, the other (main) problem is the memory shortage, which affects the vendor's ability to manufacturer new GPUs to keep up with the demand.

I'd like to get a couple RX 580s or a Vega 56 right now, but don't think that'll happen anytime soon. =P

36 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Troll Craigslist, Letgo and OfferUp. Once in a great while, someone will post something that they clearly don't understand the value of, or they'll just want to get rid of it. If you're quick to the draw, you can get a good GPU at a decent price.

Wish I had this option.  I live in the tail-end of nowhere in the Texas Panhandle.  Amarillo is the closest "big" city and hardware second-hand is pretty bleak.  Pretty much an eBay/Amazon/Newegg proposition for hardware for me.  

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 3600(Stock Clock)

Cooler: EVGA CLC 280 

Motherboard: ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus WiFi

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC3

RAM: 32GB(2x16GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600

SSD: WD Blue 3D NAND M.2 250 GB

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB  

Case:  Fractal Design Meshify C

PSU:  Seasonic Focus 650W 80+ Gold

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!!!" --Elwood Blues

9 minutes ago, MaxFubar said:

Wish I had this option.  I live in the tail-end of nowhere in the Texas Panhandle.  Amarillo is the closest "big" city and hardware second-hand is pretty bleak.  Pretty much an eBay/Amazon/Newegg proposition for hardware for me.  

Eek, Dalhart. Thought that said Dallas. Wow, you are in the middle of nowhere. I actually know the area, nothing out there but ice storms in the winter, tornadoes in the spring and red wasps the size of a tangerine that don't know you, but they will find you, and they will sting you.

I kind of want to say Lubbock, but that's south of Amarillo, isn't it? Even Pueblo is about 3 hours from there.

For websites, Mercari is an option. It's like a cross between Amazon and eBay, only sketchier. You might get lucky and find someone on Letgo or Offerup that's willing to ship. I also highly recommend r/hardwareswap. That sub might actually be the best place for you to get good prices on good parts.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

How much are you willing to pay for the 1080 or 1080 ti? I can look around on Amazon like how I found mine not long ago to see if I have anymore luck finding the 1080 at $600 or less than $800. Did you want me to link them in PMs or just update this post with the links?

1 hour ago, zAaron said:

How much are you willing to pay for the 1080 or 1080 ti? I can look around on Amazon like how I found mine not long ago to see if I have anymore luck finding the 1080 at $600 or less than $800. Did you want me to link them in PMs or just update this post with the links?

First post on the forums is this lol, even with the best/nicest of intentions this will always look like a scam 

Ryzen Ram Guide

Too slow. Should have got it a few months ago. Also hope this crypto thing goes back to how it was before common folk ruined it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

5 hours ago, stealth80 said:

First post on the forums is this lol, even with the best/nicest of intentions this will always look like a scam 

That's fair, I'm genuinely just on the lookout for solid sales since it's tax return season and no one should have to pay twice the MSRP for these cards, let alone a used one. I really did luck out getting a card from Amazon, I can put in a request for more because I work there but nothing's guaranteed especially with people actually buying them at the inflated prices from third-party sellers.

Update: the best I could find that’s still up is the GTX 1070 Ti founder’s edition from Nvidia’s site for $449, the 1080 I found on Amazon already sold out. Best of luck and hopefully tomorrow brings better luck.

Edited by zAaron
Search update