Fan review: Noctua, Corsair, Gentle Typhoon

bracka

Hello,

I want to share the data I gathered after fan testing I did this year. I mainly started to project to get a better understanding of what fans are in the market, because a lot of the reviews were contradicting each other. So I wanted to form an opinion of my own. This is the very first video I have ever created, plus some of the equipment I used was borrowed - so don't expect very high production quality. Anyway I enjoyed making this video and I was happy to realize creating videos is a lot of hard work.

Hopefully you find this video useful. Regards

Fans tested on Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus heatsink:

Stock fan

Noctua NF-P12

Noctua NF-F12

Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 

Corsair SP120 High Performance Edition

Gentle Tyhpoon AP15

Update:
I recently got my hands on PWM edition of Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition and I must report it has noticeably more ticking motor noise then the version I tested. It was present on 5,7 and 12 volts. I currently don't have my tests setup available, so can't do any measurements. So the recommendation I made in the video is not applicable to  Corsair SP120 PWM Quiet Edition .

post-7258-0-89043000-1392148882_thumb.jp

I had similar observation regarding stock fan of Corsair 750d case. It was rather loud at its 1000RPM and "ticky" as well.

post-7258-0-65490000-1392148887_thumb.jp

Show love because it's a terrible thing to hate

R.I.P Gentle Typhoons. 

They're coming out with a newer and better version. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

They're coming out with a newer and better version. 

Oh I didn't hear about that. :D

Quote me to get a reply!

Hello,

I want to share the data I gathered after fan testing I did this year. I mainly started to project to get a better understanding of what fans are in the market, because a lot of the reviews were contradicting each other. So I wanted to form an opinion of my own. This is the very first video I have ever created, plus some of the equipment I used was borrowed - so don't expect very high production quality. Anyway I enjoyed making this video and I was happy to realize creating videos is a lot of hard work.

Hopefully you find this video useful. Regards

Fans tested on Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus heatsink:

Stock fan

Noctua NF-P12

Noctua NF-F12

Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition 

Corsair SP120 High Performance Edition

Gentle Tyhpoon AP15

Good job for your first video!

Well done!

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Finally, someone with numbers. This now disproves everyone who says the SP120 are just as good as NF-F12s.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Finally, someone with numbers. This now disproves everyone who says the SP120 are just as good as NF-F12s.

That is what you got out of this examination?

Fortunately the video presents a much more nuanced analysis that permits one to identify which fan will be best in a particular set of circumstances.

@bracka, very nice.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

That is what you got out of this examination?

Fortunately the video presents a much more nuanced analysis that permits one to identify which fan will be best in a particular set of circumstances.

@bracka, very nice.

Thanks!

This was the intent to present the numbers so people can make an educated decisions on their own. I would loved to have decent sound measurement tools, because I currently feel there is just a little bit too much variability in the noise data. All three fans mentioned in the conclusion are great ones. With my preference going to those with really good noise characteristic at around 1000rpm. 

Few things I found out from making this video, which didn't make it in the video itself:

• Noctua Focus Flow apparently works and has noticeable effect on heatsink cooling. Thus it might be a solid tool for directing extra air at needed spaces like graphics cards and SLI/CF sandwitches
  • At full speed Noctua NF-F12 is way louder then I originally expected (should have known better - it's a 1500rpm fan). Reducing the voltage for the fans just a bit provides significant reduction in noise.
  • Each fan has it's own resistance and each fan speed reducer has it's own resistance. So combining those you can achieve different total resistance resulting in desired fan speed - for example I run Corsair SP120 Quiet edition with Noctua fan speed reducer so it runs at ~ 950rpm at the back of my case. Just be careful not to put on too much of a load on the resistor.
  • Gentle Typhoon has quite unique tone at higher speed. I liked it, but slight motor noise ruined it - maybe just got a bad sample.

Not exactly what I had in mind...

If you really wanted in-depth numbers in a controlled environment across a number of performance fans, you should really check out Martin's Liquid Lab (http://martinsliquidlab.org). Martin does regular fan round ups (previous top contenders versus more recent entries, with detailed graphs and archives). MLL is mainly focused on water cooling hardware, so if you want to go beyond fans and look at performance between different radiators (FPI, witdth, etc) then it's a treasure trove of information (I've used it numerous times).

Personally, I have AP15s and wouldn't consider getting either of the SP120 or NF-F12. But for those who are curious, MLL has touched upon this issue (though not directly, you can implicitly look at performance between roundups) http://www.overclock.net/t/1376811/corsair-sp120-quiet-edition-vs-noctua-nf-f12

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

If you really wanted in-depth numbers in a controlled environment across a number of performance fans, you should really check out Martin's Liquid Lab (http://martinsliquidlab.org). Martin does regular fan round ups (previous top contenders versus more recent entries, with detailed graphs and archives). MLL is mainly focused on water cooling hardware, so if you want to go beyond fans and look at performance between different radiators (FPI, witdth, etc) then it's a treasure trove of information (I've used it numerous times).

Personally, I have AP15s and wouldn't consider getting either of the SP120 or NF-F12. But for those who are curious, MLL has touched upon this issue (though not directly, you can implicitly look at performance between roundups) http://www.overclock.net/t/1376811/corsair-sp120-quiet-edition-vs-noctua-nf-f12

That's an interesting site. I'll check it out.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

@chaozbandit
yes, martin's liquid lab has excellent content. I have been following him for quite some time.

But i think it's important to separate use cases for fans. I believe radiator and heatsink present quite a different obstacle for the air so there results can vary depending on the fan. So I think it's worth testing on the actual use case.

@chaozbandit

yes, martin's liquid lab has excellent content. I have been following him for quite some time.

But i think it's important to separate use cases for fans. I believe radiator and heatsink present quite a different obstacle for the air so there results can vary depending on the fan. So I think it's worth testing on the actual use case.

Yes but you have to give credit where credit is due. MLL goes above and beyond in his testing; yes, he may not be using them in completely enclosed environments but at least drawing performance figures when the fan is in a worst case scenario (against a radiator or heatsink, or similarly mesh side panels and case structure) is better than the out-of-the-box fan numbers manufacturers provide (which are all derived in a completely open environment). Its not a perfect test methodology but its better than nothing, and for someone so small to run tests this complex, its not like he has much time to spare. I recall manufacturers doing fan roundups of their own with those huge laboratory setups but of course not everyone has those kinds of resources.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Yes but you have to give credit where credit is due. MLL goes above and beyond in his testing; yes, he may not be using them in completely enclosed environments but at least drawing performance figures when the fan is in a worst case scenario (against a radiator or heatsink, or similarly mesh side panels and case structure) is better than the out-of-the-box fan numbers manufacturers provide (which are all derived in a completely open environment). Its not a perfect test methodology but its better than nothing, and for someone so small to run tests this complex, its not like he has much time to spare. I recall manufacturers doing fan roundups of their own with those huge laboratory setups but of course not everyone has those kinds of resources.

You misunderstood me.

His work is superb, didn't want to put him down in any way. Not sure if there is much more to improve in his content.

Just wanted to say that it would be nice to have the same data set for a common heatsink - that kinda inspired me to try making the video. Ofc, I realized I couldn't get nowhere near the quality... but I gave my best try with the finances and time I had.

Constructive criticism is always welcome

How did you come to this conclusion based on this video? Remember that these fans are best suited for different application- rads with low FPI and same thickness as rads with high FPI can make do with low RPM fans. Since these fans are mostly used on rads, don't just go by performance on a single heatsink.

Does anyone has suggestion for a fan that would perform extraordinary well on a heatsink/case ventilation duty? Preferably with PWM capability. Might test a few more this spring

@bracka when testing your sp120 QE, did you hear any ticking noises? I've read tons of reviews on them and a bunch of people said at very low RPM they have a ticking noise

I'm trying to figure out what fans I'm gonna buy for my build, and I need as silent as I possibly can get it, with the best performance.  I already have nf-f12's but after seeing your review, the QE have both looks+ better performance at lower RPM, so I'm thinking about those.

I'll have them on 2 480mm radiators 60mm thick, so I won't really have to worry about fan speed, since I have so much radiator space to get rid of the heat.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

@bracka when testing your sp120 QE, did you hear any ticking noises? I've read tons of reviews on them and a bunch of people said at very low RPM they have a ticking noise

I'm trying to figure out what fans I'm gonna buy for my build, and I need as silent as I possibly can get it, with the best performance.  I already have nf-f12's but after seeing your review, the QE have both looks+ better performance at lower RPM, so I'm thinking about those.

I'll have them on 2 480mm radiators 60mm thick, so I won't really have to worry about fan speed, since I have so much radiator space to get rid of the heat.

I would say they don't have noticeable ticking noise and the performance difference at low RPM comparing to Noctua is negligible. As you already have Noctuas it might be worth buying one Corsair fan so you can figure out which one you actually prefer, before doing the final order. At sub 900rpm speeds I would prefer notcua, but the difference is super small  for real world application and it shouldn't serve as the mayor deciding factor from my point of view.

You might want to check out this article as well

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

Not watercooling expert, but wouldn't 60mm thick rad create more impedance for the air flow and very slow RPM fans would be sub optimal?

I would say they don't have noticeable ticking noise and the performance difference at low RPM comparing to Noctua is negligible. As you already have Noctuas it might be worth buying one Corsair fan so you can figure out which one you actually prefer, before doing the final order. At sub 900rpm speeds I would prefer notcua, but the difference is super small  for real world application and it shouldn't serve as the mayor deciding factor from my point of view.

You might want to check out this article as well

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

Not watercooling expert, but wouldn't 60mm thick rad create more impedance for the air flow and very slow RPM fans would be sub optimal?

Well the problem is, even at 40% speed on the nf-f12's I can still hear them (~600rpm)  Although they are very quiet, the only way they become truly silent (to me atleast) is to put the low noise adapter on, and then use my fan controller to give them 40% power

So I'm trying to look for more fan options because of that, and what I meant by the rad thing was, I'll already have so much radiator space to begin with, I shouldn't have to worry as much about running the fans at "optimal" speeds, since it's so over-kill to begin with, but yeah I agree, the thicker the rad the more static pressure+rpm you need,

I'll try what you said, and get 1 sp120, then I think I'm gonna order either a 1450 RPM gentle typhoon, or a 1150, and then test those as-well and figure out what I want,

Thanks for the help :D

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

@Lays

At ~600rpm you must be putting them right next to your ear when noticing the noise. Right? If so - I don't think there is a real world scenario where that would happen. Some distance and pc case should make it indistinguishable from the environment. Or maybe you have way quieter environment and really good hearing ;)

Another problem is that at very low RPMs fans tend to loose a lot of their power very quickly. So with your think rads it might be worth running at around 1k RPM (or it won't matter as you have lot's of surface area). Going to follow your investigation on your build log, really interested in the results.

For me the loudest part is HDD, so it's not really worth going for inaudible build while it's still in there. 

Anyway good luck in the finding the right fan for you - I have made my choice and hope you do to. 

@Lays

At ~600rpm you must be putting them right next to your ear when noticing the noise. Right? If so - I don't think there is a real world scenario where that would happen. Some distance and pc case should make it indistinguishable from the environment. Or maybe you have way quieter environment and really good hearing ;)

Another problem is that at very low RPMs fans tend to loose a lot of their power very quickly. So with your think rads it might be worth running at around 1k RPM (or it won't matter as you have lot's of surface area). Going to follow your investigation on your build log, really interested in the results.

For me the loudest part is HDD, so it's not really worth going for inaudible build while it's still in there. 

Anyway good luck in the finding the right fan for you - I have made my choice and hope you do to. 

If my room is dead quiet at night and I'm in bed, the things I hear are both gpu fans but I think I'll have to finish watercooling before I can really tell if it's the nf-f12's or just the gpu fans, I'm a silence freak when it comes to my PC lol. I'm not 100% sure how accurate this is but I have a DB reader for my ipod touch, I'm sure it's not very accurate, but it says ~50 DB while ~2 feet from my comp.  I think the loudest thing right now is the GPU fans, then the HDD then the nf-f12's at 600rpm, although yeah you're right, unless I'm like a foot directly next to the nf-f12's I cant really hear it, I mostly just hear the gpu's. Which will soon be fixed with the watercooling lol xD

Ty for all your help again :P

• 1 month later...

Added a small update from my experience with PWM version of Corsair 120SP Quiet Edition fan. Quite disappointed tbh - I really like the idea of PWM control. Especially for air cooled systems.

Added a small update from my experience with PWM version of Corsair 120SP Quiet Edition fan. Quite disappointed tbh - I really like the idea of PWM control. Especially for air cooled systems.

I recently made a video about 1450rpm gentle typhoons vs noctuas, check it out if you like:

I recently made a video about 1450rpm gentle typhoons vs noctuas, check it out if you like:

Hi Lays, 

really happy you shared the video. I was looking at your build thread and I was quite skeptical regarding some of your comments. This brings some additional info. Thanks

First off I wanted to say your video nicely demonstrates different sound characteristics of each fan (yeti ftw). GTs definitely have deeper tone. I do have a few comments though.

1.  In your video sound difference between 40% and 100% for the GTs isn't "not much of a difference" in my opinion. To me it seems like change from inaudible to laud'ish.

2. Does your fan controller report RPM of each fan? Could you provide RPM numbers for each fan at 40%

3. One user posted on my channel that the GT I tested might have had a faulty bearing. It's a possibility I now consider.. but don't think it skewed the results significantly. Probably only the low RPM ones by a bit.

Hi Lays, 

really happy you shared the video. I was looking at your build thread and I was quite skeptical regarding some of your comments. This brings some additional info. Thanks

First off I wanted to say your video nicely demonstrates different sound characteristics of each fan (yeti ftw). GTs definitely have deeper tone. I do have a few comments though.

1.  In your video sound difference between 40% and 100% for the GTs isn't "not much of a difference" in my opinion. To me it seems like change from inaudible to laud'ish.

2. Does your fan controller report RPM of each fan? Could you provide RPM numbers for each fan at 40%

3. One user posted on my channel that the GT I tested might have had a faulty bearing. It's a possibility I now consider.. but don't think it skewed the results significantly. Probably only the low RPM ones by a bit.

It doesn't have a readout, but according to the box it'll take them "as low as 40%"  so I'd assume they're around ~580 rpm? give or take a couple RPM.

I know I didn't have any professional equipment to make a completely professional-type video, but it is quite a difference in noise levels comparing the two.  And the 40% to 100% on the GT's is noticeable but not nearly as bad as the nf-f12's from 40 to 100, I love the in-audibleness of my gt's and 90% of the time they're ran at 40%, I only put em at 100% if mining/ benchmarking.