Disappointed by heaphones... Should I continue?

ShadySocks
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
6 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

Thank you for the responses. I actually found out that there is an audiophile meetup less than 30 minutes from me: CanJam SoCal which is happening about a month from now. I'm plannning to attend, then decide whether or not I should buy more high-end gear. Have any of you attended a meet before? Any advice/unwritten rules?

I went to CanJam NYC. A few snobs here and there, but everyone else was excited to help out and lend headphones/devices. Every exhibitor was really friendly and should pass along plenty of knowledge. It was a total blast. There's not much for sale there, so it's not a high pressure type thing. It's truly just exhibiting what's out there.

Here is the audio gear I have so far in the order in which I have acquired them:

Logitech Z506 ($60)

Sony ZX MDR-ZX310AP ($20)

VersionTech G2000 ($25)

Audio‑Technica ATH‑ANC9 ($120)

Superlux HD681 EVO ($40)
FiiO K1 DAC+AMP ($40)

Sennheiser HD 579 ($100)

Brainwavz Delta ($30)

Brainwavz M100 ($25 Massdrop Blue Box)

I have also heard the Beats Lineup, M50X, Apple Earpods, Samsung Level Over-Ear, Bose QuietComfort Lineup, Sony Extra Bass lineup, and Dolby Atmos Cinemas.

Basically, the 681 EVOs outshines everything on this list, except the HD579s by a small margin with the Delta and M100(Equalized) coming close. Even after 7 months of use, the HD579s still only sound slightly better because they are less fatiguing. I have about $200 to spend on headphones, and the HD6XX/HD4XX look like great options. However, will I be disappointed by them too?

I most of my library is comprised of 24bit/96KHz FLAC Vinyl Rips

Right now, I mainly listen to classic rock, but I also listen to anything but mumble rap/opera.

I don't like a lot of bass, but when I want it, the Z506 and M100 satisfy :P.

Well, you got yourself a whole bunch of shit. The 6XX will blow them all. 

@Max_Settings just made a showdown of under $200 headphones including the 6XX and K7XX, iirc even the 4XX or at least 400something.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

6 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

@Max_Settings just made a showdown of under $200 headphones including the 6XX and K7XX, iirc even the 4XX or at least 400something.

I mean it is very subjective to be honest. I have tried a bunch of "bad" headphones. I tend to like bose so i have picked up the bose ae2, the ae2w the qc 25 and qc 35 plus the air pods. I was then convinced to pick up a pair of sennhieser ie80 becuase they were supposed to be really good. After burning them in i could hear next to no difference. I then picked up the senhieser hd650 and the magni and modi for schitt for the best possible situtation and even picked up a bunch of albums in flacs. After a month of testing the difference between them and my bose qc35 for really really small and not worth the extra $700 and the hassle of a wire. I suggest if you are happy with what you have stick to it

39 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

Basically, the 681 EVOs outshines everything on this list, except the HD579s by a small margin with the Delta and M100(Equalized) coming close. Even after 7 months of use, the HD579s still only sound slightly better because they are less fatiguing. I have about $200 to spend on headphones, and the HD6XX/HD4XX look like great options. However, will I be disappointed by them too?

I most of my library is comprised of 24bit/96KHz FLAC Vinyl Rips

Right now, I mainly listen to classic rock, but I also listen to anything but mumble rap/opera.

I don't like a lot of bass, but when I want it, the Z506 and M100 satisfy :P.

Most people are fooled into paying way more than they should be for what the actually get with audio equipment of all sorts. A lot of the time they're paying for a brand, not any real advantage over other headphones. People are often sheep like and will just buy what they see others have and couldn't tell the difference between middle of the road audio performance and really good sound if you paid them.  Then again most people aren't educated to understand or appreciate good audio, so that's a big factor as well. Your post reminds me of the Philips SHP9500s in particular, about the same price as the ones you mentioned that you prefer, loved by audiophiles and blows many headphones that cost two or three times what they do just clean out of the water.

4 minutes ago, ghostofprice1 said:

I mean it is very subjective to be honest. I have tried a bunch of "bad" headphones. I tend to like bose so i have picked up the bose ae2, the ae2w the qc 25 and qc 35 plus the air pods. I was then convinced to pick up a pair of sennhieser ie80 becuase they were supposed to be really good. After burning them in i could hear next to no difference. I then picked up the senhieser hd650 and the magni and modi for schitt for the best possible situtation and even picked up a bunch of albums in flacs. After a month of testing the difference between them and my bose qc35 for really really small and not worth the extra $700 and the hassle of a wire. I suggest if you are happy with what you have stick to it

14 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

4 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Most people are fooled into paying way more than they should be for what the actually get with audio equipment of all sorts. A lot of the time they're paying for a brand, not any real advantage over other headphones. People are often sheep like and will just buy what they see others have and couldn't tell the difference between middle of the road audio performance and really good sound if you paid them.  Then again most people aren't educated to understand or appreciate good audio, so that's a big factor as well. Your post reminds me of the Philips SHP9500s in particular, about the same price as the ones you mentioned that you prefer, loved by audiophiles and blows many headphones that cost two or three times what they do just clean out of the water.

Thank you for the responses. I actually found out that there is an audiophile meetup less than 30 minutes from me: CanJam SoCal which is happening about a month from now. I'm plannning to attend, then decide whether or not I should buy more high-end gear. Have any of you attended a meet before? Any advice/unwritten rules?

2 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

Most who describe themselves as audiophiles don't know shit from shinola when it comes to real audio quality, so you're as much an expert as some of them most likely. If you like the feel of the group, then great. If they make you feel uncomfortable, or you find them pretentious, then walk away and it's their loss. One good test is to mention that you like Koss over ear headphones for everyday, on the go listening - the cheapish thirty dollar ones like the KPH30i's. Someone who does know their stuff will either agree or understand. Someone who doesn't but is just being pretentious will look down their nose at you. You can pretty much guage any self proclaimed audiophile's actual level of understanding with this test, seriously, give it a go. Above all, just remember it's about enjoying and appreciating music. If you're not enjoying yourself, there's something wrong.

6 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

I went to CanJam NYC. A few snobs here and there, but everyone else was excited to help out and lend headphones/devices. Every exhibitor was really friendly and should pass along plenty of knowledge. It was a total blast. There's not much for sale there, so it's not a high pressure type thing. It's truly just exhibiting what's out there.

29 minutes ago, ghostofprice1 said:

must suck being deaf, I hope you recover.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

25 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Your post reminds me of the Philips SHP9500s in particular, about the same price as the ones you mentioned that you prefer, loved by audiophiles and blows many headphones that cost two or three times what they do just clean out of the water.

I just got mine the other day.  they sound amazing for their price.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

2 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

They should be far better known than they are. They really do sound so good, especially when hooked up to anything even half decent.

8 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

6 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

They should be far better known than they are. They really do sound so good, especially when hooked up to anything even half decent.

0C9A3729.thumb.jpg.5941d6afd914bffacc8fec2ac802365e.jpg

How to trigger an audio snob w/ a headphone/amp pairing, lol.

8 hours ago, FloRolf said:

I didn’t make it yet. Haven’t gotten the 4XX yet.

I'm not sure what exactly you're after, but if it's a flat response curve, great sound, and isolation, then the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x are my go to choice. Good luck! 

7 hours ago, Ripper7620 said:

I'm not sure what exactly you're after, but if it's a flat response curve, great sound, and isolation, then the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x are my go to choice. Good luck! 

The M50Xs are one of the least flat headphones there are and sound like garbage.

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

The M50Xs are one of the least flat headphones there are and sound like garbage.

^ This, if one wants to get technical. People are paying for a name, a brand. Same thing with Bose by and large, though Bose are much worse in general. Of course though we also need to recognize that it's not technical for many, it's deeply subjective.  Good headphones will still be good headphones but some find that  something like the AT's mentioned here are good for them and their particular listening and that's valid, for them.

I think though that often it comes down too to what is being listened to, not only what format, but what music. Dub step, shitty emo and the latest manufactured, trending band, complete with autotune and heavily processed in the studio for example, are completely different to say really good Motown, Ska, multi layered Tropical House, operatic Heavy Metal, or Goth music from a band such as the 69 Eyes. For a good, completely non technical test of headphone capablity (in my opinion), find a good recording of Allegri's Miserere (the 80's one by the Tallis Scholars is just about perfect), give your phones a bit of a boost and, if you're not at least tempted to cry listening to that, get better headphones.

16 hours ago, Legendarypoet said:

0C9A3729.thumb.jpg.5941d6afd914bffacc8fec2ac802365e.jpg

How to trigger an audio snob w/ a headphone/amp pairing, lol.

Now that is kind of beautiful in a way :) and yes, that will trigger them alright lol.