What can we expect next year?

Avcn42

I think it's time to retire my GTX590 because of the VRAM. Thought about maybe buying a 290/x when an aftermarket cooler comes out but, we're in the end of 2013 and next year refresh will bring Maxwell "to the table". In terms of improvements from the Kepler architecture, what can we expect? We saw (well, I did) a giant improvement from 500 to 600 series, even with the GK110 only being release 1 year later and that it should have been the 680 and bla bla bla. I mean, a 660 ti compares to a 580, and the X60s are mid end while the X80s are high end. So, is that Nvidia GPU roadmap reliable? Can we trust the 880 to be a beast? Should I wait? I just want to point that with the new consoles out, PC is already, and will even more, have a good upgrade in terms of graphics, and maybe performance because of x86. So....yeaaahh.... I am excited to buy another card, but I need a second or more opinion. I can wait because the 590 is holding up great. What about you guys? Will you wait, do you think it will be worth it? Will the future price drops on current cards be a bigger deal? 

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

My plans are these:

1) Buy 1 of the newly annonced 4K monitors from Dell.

2) SLI 2 880S from ASUS.

3) Buy a Extreme edition Haswell-E or maybe Brodwell.

4) Get DDR4.

Use it if you want ;)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

My plans are these:

2) SLI 2 880S from ASUS.

4) Get DDR4.

Use it if you want ;)

Duuuuuuuuuude, can you spare some of that ridiculous wad of cash spilling from your pockets? o-o

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I hope that the 860 will be trading blows with the 780, similiar to the 580 against 660. I also want to see lower power requirements, like 1 8-pin for the 860, and 3GB 384bit standard for 860Ti and lower, 4GB 512bit for the 870 and up. I wonder how much of this will really happen, because 600 series was such a jump only because AMD had the upperhand that time, their new 7970 was crushing the 580 in everything. NVIDIA rules the market now and has the most powerful single GPU on the planet, so they don't really "have to" make their cards so much better. Tough I hope to pick a 880 in the summer, if it brings the boost I want it to and isn't overpriced. But what about R300 series?

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

But what about R300 series?

They will probably be out sometime in the fall next year, but I don't think they will be R300 series ones ;) AMD got some messed up naming schemes going on  :rolleyes:

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Duuuuuuuuuude, can you spare some of that ridiculous wad of cash spilling from your pockets? o-o

Not really my money...  :unsure: My dad just simply likes me getting too know computers, electronics and such better as he works within the business and therefore he buys kinda cool stuff to us :)

Tor

I hope that the 860 will be trading blows with the 780, similiar to the 580 against 660. I also want to see lower power requirements, like 1 8-pin for the 860, and 3GB 384bit standard for 860Ti and lower, 4GB 512bit for the 870 and up. I wonder how much of this will really happen, because 600 series was such a jump only because AMD had the upperhand that time, their new 7970 was crushing the 580 in everything. NVIDIA rules the market now and has the most powerful single GPU on the planet, so they don't really "have to" make their cards so much better. Tough I hope to pick a 880 in the summer, if it brings the boost I want it to and isn't overpriced. But what about R300 series?

Exactly. More VRAM is to be expected after the Titan launched (my guess). And as you said, they could be more power efficient as well, that would be really nice, as everytime a new architecture comes out it promises, in most cases, better performance with lower consumption. For that, my friends, we should hope a good work from them to bring this to the market. Also curious to see AMD role.

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

Not really my money...  :unsure: My dad just simply likes me getting too know computers, electronics and such better as he works within the business and therefore he buys kinda cool stuff to us :)

You're totally a spoiled rich kid I hope you realise that xD

I could kill for that kind of a setup....I mean not like, a PERSON, but at least a small mammal.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

You're totally a spoiled rich kid I hope you realise that xD

I could kill for that kind of a setup....I mean not like, a PERSON, but at least a small mammal.

I guess you have already read this. If not just PM me :)

As for the OP: I have already answered the question, but I did venture off topic yes. I'll refrain from that in the future.

Tor

I know ;):( I do at least do whatever I can too share (bringing cake, drinks and candy for class the day before holidays, buying christmas gifts for all the students in the class, not ever wanting anything for things/food I buy for others etc.) so I do at least not bully or threat the less fortunate poor :) If that helps a little at least...  :unsure:

Please, stay on topic, otherwise: http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/50-off-topic/

Please, stay on topic, otherwise: http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/50-off-topic/

Fixed and I'll post stuff like that in the off topic section instead then :)

Tor

My plans are these:

2) SLI 2 880S from ASUS.

4) Get DDR4.

Use it if you want ;)

How strange.. sounds like the exact same plan that I have lol :D .

Slam all that hardware in my 900d with my 2 custom loops and OC it to death haha ;) .

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

As long as I keep my 1080p monitor, I have no reason to upgrade, or crossfire my 290 for sometime. However, I've been looking into the Korean 1600p monitors so who knows. :unsure:

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue