how long is too long for not cleaning my pc out ?

WolfLoverPro

whenever i feel like it i dont clean it i just get the dust off the side filter but uh ive never used air for anything i just clean the side filter and not the inside

i mean how long can  a pc last if i dont clean it and just clean the side filter when i want? cuz i can see dust ontop of the graphics card a bit but yo know im lazy and yeah just wonder how long it will last

It will last a long time until theres so much that fans will get clogged and thermals will cause shutdowns, but then thats still fixable with a cleaning.

Hardware damage seems unlikely provided if the dust isn't conductive.

2 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

whenever i feel like it i dont clean it i just get the dust off the side filter but uh ive never used air for anything i just clean the side filter and not the inside

i mean how long can  a pc last if i dont clean it and just clean the side filter when i want? cuz i can see dust ontop of the graphics card a bit but yo know im lazy and yeah just wonder how long it will last

If you clear the filters regularly then, it should be fine to do a bigger cleaning once a year.

I personally wipe the dust off of everything at least monthly but, that's unnecessary.

Make sure to use something anti static when you are cleaning the insides. Wouldn't want to fry anything in there.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

1 minute ago, ModuleLFS said:

It will last a long time until theres so much that fans will get clogged and thermals will cause shutdowns, but then thats still fixable with a cleaning.

Hardware damage seems unlikely provided if the dust isn't conductive.

so i wont need to clean my pc until it starts shutting down should i bother cleanign filters still

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

If you clear the filters regularly then, it should be fine to do a bigger cleaning once a year.

I personally wipe the dust off of everything at least monthly but, that's unnecessary.

Make sure to use something anti static when you are cleaning the insides. Wouldn't want to fry anything in there.

i never do big cleans tho thats what i mean LOL

Just now, WolfLoverPro said:

so i wont need to clean my pc until it starts shutting down should i bother cleanign filters still

Get a can of compressed air and spray stuff (do it outside!). Won't take more than a few minutes :P 

I just use my air compressor, around all 3-4 months when I have time and it's nice outside, also sometimes I take all the fans out and clean them one by one but that's just a personal habit I feel like

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

I do a big clean about every two months. I have two dogs that shed and I don't have a closed too for my PC yet. So I will it down almost daily and disassemble and legitimately clean everything every few months.

The cleaning internals should come down to how Dusty is your house and the living situations. Pet and smoking households should be cleaned more often.

I had to do it within 6 months of the last time I did it. GPU was overheating like crazy for some reason, I could actually "smell" it. (the smell of warm air). And also feel it (throttling in games)
Turns out, GPU was clean, but it was starving for air apparently, because front and side intake were clogged up, even though the filter itself wasn't... Because I was also basically just wiping it off without dusting it off with air.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Depends on how dusty your home is.

I dont think ive ever cleaned my computers because there just isn't any dust. Its been at least 2 years since I cleaned my little Athlon 5350 box and its still spotless in there despite being in a cooler master elite 110 and running 24/7

If you see noticable dust buildup, clean it. Could be a yearly thing, could turn into a weekly thing.

8 minutes ago, campy said:

Depends on how dusty your home is.

I dont think ive ever cleaned my computers because there just isn't any dust. Its been at least 2 years since I cleaned my little Athlon 5350 box and its still spotless in there despite being in a cooler master elite 110 and running 24/7

If you see noticable dust buildup, clean it. Could be a yearly thing, could turn into a weekly thing.

Yeesh I envy you so much. I hate the amount of dust I get in my room.

My big cleans usually consist of removing every part and cleaning them individually until they look like the day I bought them from the store. 

Sure it takes half the day, but if you have a clear case you'll understand why I do it :P

For others, usually a spray of compressed air is more than enough every one to three months, depending on variables of course. Do you smoke? Are you on carpet? Is your room messy? Do you have pets that shed? Is your pc on the floor or is it elevated?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

If your air filters have big circles of dust where the fans sit.............yeah, it's about time to blow the dust out.  Like they say, a light dusting every month or so should be proper.

Midnight Rig - CPU: i7-7700K / Cooler: Corsair h100i V2 / Motherboard: AsRock Z270 Taichi / RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 / SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W