Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 minutes ago, techswede said:

But there are no autocross events around here at all..

Same here. :(

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

13 minutes ago, techswede said:

Oh well @Strando123

Enjoy your dart^^ I'm still three years away from getting one myself. 

How will it work with registration and stuff since the dart is older than the volvo you had to sell because of insurance or somesuch? 

The Dart is registrered on my dad (i pay insurance and all but its cheaper that way)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I know the feeling :( 

1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Same here. :(

I have been considering starting an autocross thing around here myself at some point.

But that'll have to wait until my personal economy is more stable. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, techswede said:

I have been considering starting an autocross thing around here myself at some point.

I'd go to one of those events xD

"Mom, I'm going to do some races in Sweden, brb"

6 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I'd send you a text but don't have your or anyone elses phone number. 

Hope a tag will do :P 

actually a text might be better. here's my number: lol u think im that crazy?

I'll pm it :P You've earned it haha

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, Strando123 said:

I would go too!

3400km? Pfffftttt

Piece of cake.

3 minutes ago, techswede said:

I grew up thinking I would never be able to do anything motorsport related at all in my lifetime until I was old enough to move away and had enough money. It was truly depressing.

so when I heard about AutoX around here I was super excited and wanted to do it immediately. But I didn't because I was somewhat socially awkward and I didn't know how my parents were gonna react. For my 18th birthday I had an excuse though so I went do it, never regretted it. Sure it's hot and miserable here, but it's so fun. It's just worth it.

Now it's probably not as good as a real track, but it's good enough and much easier on the wallet. :) 

If you are ever able to start one, do it! It may be slow at first but im sure it'll become popular if you can keep it cost effective for everyone. :D

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

440 > Hemi

When my dad street raced many moons ago, 340 and 440s presented the most resistance to his victory.  He didn't have issues with Hemi's.  

He ran a '71 SC/360 Hornet that had a couple different engines, in the end he liked the 360 better than the 401.

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I grew up thinking I would never be able to do anything motorsport related at all in my lifetime until I was old enough to move away and had enough money. It was truly depressing.

so when I heard about AutoX around here I was super excited and wanted to do it immediately. But I didn't because I was somewhat socially awkward and I didn't know how my parents were gonna react. For my 18th birthday I had an excuse though so I went do it, never regretted it. Sure it's hot and miserable here, but it's so fun. It's just worth it.

Now it's probably not as good as a real track, but it's good enough and much easier on the wallet. :) 

If you are ever able to start one, do it! It may be slow at first but im sure it'll become popular if you can keep it cost effective for everyone. :D

I'd have to charge for entry just to pay for cones. In an ideal world i'd keep it free though.

The biggest pain is finding a place to do it in though. Getting permits for car meets is a pain in the arse. Getting a permit for a racing event.. Almost impossible.

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

They flop back into shape...

sometimes

The rental bill on 120ish cones is pretty big right off the bat..

16 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

I would go too!

1208phr-13-z-goodguys-del-mar-street-mac

*Hint hint. Nudge nudge* 

21 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@vinyldash303 this sunday matt is planning on running his truck at AutoX, "just because". He has some all terrains on it right now. 

Will be interesting to see how he does against the S10 that is always there (btw me and matt are pretty equal in terms of driving skill, so also a chance to see just how much slower a modern pickup is to a sports car in raw times)

@warmmilk On a side note the base "sport" miata from 2002 had 15" x 6" wheels. Im gonna so argue that when I go over there and hope they let me into the stock class. I have the same car with wheels offered on another trim level :P

what truck does he have again?

on the wheel thing, from my experience talking to some people that are really into autox, they take trim levels very seriously too.  I wish you all the luck in this, but if they didn't let you run in stock before I don't think they'll let you now either

17 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

whats stopping you from doing an autox?  @techswede's excuse is that there aren't any events where he lives (does europe have autox at all or is it an american thing?)

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

in this car (and most of the other cars I've done it in), I enjoy the actual driving portion of autox just as much as track driving.  the only part I don't like is how little seat time you get, especially when you compare it to the total time you spend at the event.  I'd be willing to pay double or even triple to not have to work and run my car in both heats.

I hated autox in the RSX though, torquesteer just ruined it for me.

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

5 minutes ago, techswede said:

I'd have to charge for entry just to pay for cones. In an ideal world i'd keep it free though.

The biggest pain is finding a place to do it in though. Getting permits for car meets is a pain in the arse. Getting a permit for a racing event.. Almost impossible.

The cones here are rubber. They are pretty invincible. Probably survive several years of events (once a month for 9 months out of the year)

There is an entry fee here of $25US for SCCA members and $40 for non-members. (used to be 20/25 but they raised them this year, hope that doesn't trend :(

You buy that, and you get an entire day of fun from mid-day to 4PM. Depending on how many people sign up for an event depends on how many runs we do. It all works great. 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, warmmilk said:

(does europe have autox at all or is it an american thing?)

European autocross:

Peeters%20pour%20bandeau%20Autocross%20s

Still looks hella fun.

whats stopping you from doing an autox?  @techswede's excuse is that there aren't any events where he lives (does europe have autox at all or is it an american thing?)

Autocross is a thing over here too. Its just that nobody arranges events in my neck of the woods.. 

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

The cones here are rubber. They are pretty invincible. Probably survive several years of events (once a month for 9 months out of the year)

Still a pretty hefty initial investment  

what truck does he have again?

on the wheel thing, from my experience talking to some people that are really into autox, they take trim levels very seriously too.  I wish you all the luck in this, but if they didn't let you run in stock before I don't think they'll let you now either

in this car (and most of the other cars I've done it in), I enjoy the actual driving portion of autox just as much as track driving.  the only part I don't like is how little seat time you get, especially when you compare it to the total time you spend at the event.  I'd be willing to pay double or even triple to not have to work and run my car in both heats.

I hated autox in the RSX though, torquesteer just ruined it for me.

hey I had a corolla with a steering wheel from a different trim level *shrug*
we'll see I guess.

He has a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd (5.3 non-E85). Tells me he's been driving it like a maniac all week to get used to how it handles on it's not-so-big limits lol. I told him he better have some fast hands for something as tight as an autoX lol

Yeah I agree, the seat time and having to work the course stinks, I kind of like when there is a lot of people though because then there's a chance that you don't have to work, happened to me once and I got to go ride along with Neil the camera guy and teach him a bit of what I knew and with that he was able to improve his times. I wish I could do that all the time, makes me feel useful unlike standing around waiting for cones to fall over and then almost pass out sprinting to get them before the next car comes lol

Spoiler

1 minute ago, techswede said:

Autocross is a thing over here too. Its just that nobody arranges events in my neck of the woods.. 

Still a pretty hefty initial investment  

building a course with them is confusing and hard too. I went help the group once for the event we had in Lafayette. Chaos. "Does this cone go here??" "Noooo it goes over there"

"here?"

"2 inches to the left"

"here?" 

"no that can't be right..."

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

building a course with them is confusing and hard too. I went help the group once for the event we had in Lafayette. Chaos. "Does this cone go here??" "Noooo it goes over there"

"here?"

"2 inches to the left"

"here?" 

I've gone through a course to get myself licensed to set up roadworks.. I know how irritating it can be xD

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

"here?"

"2 inches to the left"

"here?" 

Mark out where you want the cones to be placed with a spray can or something. Then you will always know where to put the cones.

Just now, GlassBomb said:

Mark out where you want the cones to be placed with a spray can or something. Then you will always know where to put the cones.

Planning the course and setting it up is still difficult.

Almost need one of these

nedo_mini_01_norm.jpg

A measuring wheel. 

Just now, techswede said:

Planning the course and setting it up is still difficult.

Almost need one of these

~snip~

A measuring wheel. 

Yeah, but if it's marked out with some kind of paint, then you'll only have to measure it once and throw out cones for all the other times.

3 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

they draw the course out on paper though on a diagram of the parking lot and set up the course the day before the event. once the cones are laid out they chalk around them. (these places that lend the parking lot dont want permanent paint marks lol, so they use special chalk stuff, it's quite neat tbh)

it's not easy whatsoever lol

Spoiler

Just now, GlassBomb said:

Yeah, but if it's marked out with some kind of paint, then you'll only have to measure it once and throw out cones for all the other times.

Defacing a parking lot or industrial lot with a bunch of x'es would be no bueno

Just now, techswede said:

Defacing a parking lot or industrial lot with a bunch of x'es would be no bueno

Could always ask for permission (don't you have to either way?). Throw a small amount of money at them.

I honestly think that painting their lots with rubber is far worse than dots/X's that are an inch big.