Buying a computer/parts during the crypto boom

With the current crypto mining popularized economy, parts are becoming overpriced. Buying a whole new PC seems to be about patience more then anything. My question is, how long will these parts be over priced and for how long should i wait?

Just now, PaPaNurgle said:

With the current crypto mining popularized economy, parts are becoming overpriced. Buying a whole new PC seems to be about patience more then anything. My question is, how long will these parts be over priced and for how long should i wait?

Might go into the next year for all we know... No reason to think it will stop soon, so I would just buy something now and keep saving for better things. Wait as long as you want to, but personally, I think it is better to get a low but upgradable build, and just work your way up. Just get into gaming for now, don't worry about getting the BEST POSSIBLE PARTS EVER

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

I don't think you can really say how long, but maybe when a new generation e.g. of GPUs hit the market maybe a bunch of used old ones show up

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

Just now, jtmoseley said:

Might go into the next year for all we know... No reason to think it will stop soon, so I would just buy something now and keep saving for better things. Wait as long as you want to, but personally, I think it is better to get a low but upgradable build, and just work your way up. Just get into gaming for now, don't worry about getting the BEST POSSIBLE PARTS EVER

sadly my "upgrade-able" pc is currently in a if ya upgrade this part you must upgrade this part unless you want bottlenecking

sadly my "upgrade-able" pc is currently in a if ya upgrade this part you must upgrade this part unless you want bottlenecking

How so? Are you running a DDR3 system? Motherboard issues? Explain

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

17 minutes ago, PaPaNurgle said:

NVIADA is predicting the prices will continue to increase into Q3 2018 and level off. Not that they will go down at all after Q3.

ORANGE SCREEN WINDOWS 10 VALUE OVER TIME - PC VS MAC

Spoiler

i5 7600k @ 5.0 GHz xD

Corsair H60 with Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

MSI Z270-A Pro Motherboard

EVGA 1050 Ti SC

16 GB Corsair DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

500 GB Sandisk 950 PRO - Windows 10, Elementary OS, Zorin OS

500 GB Sandisk 850 PRO

1 TB WD Blue

Corsair CX750

1 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Red Led

Rosewell Tyrfing Case

Spoiler

EliteBook 8570w
i7 3720QM @ 2.6 GHz
Quadro K1000M
24 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
250 GB SanDisk 850 EVO - Elementary OS, Windows 10, Debian

Spoiler

i5 3470 @ 3.2 GHz
EVGA 750 Ti SC
8 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
240 GB SanDisk - Windows 10, Linux Mint

Just now, TurbulentWinds said:

NVIADA is predicting the prices will continue to increase into Q3 2018 and level off. Not that they will go down at all after Q3.

shiiiiiiiiiit.

8 minutes ago, PaPaNurgle said:

aWuXEDE.pngvery much what you said.

Motherboards and CPUs aren't bad, It's the RAM and GPUs.  keep an eye out for deals like this -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZYPEHK/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=linus21-20

and jump on them when you see them.  There are lots of example of a deal coming up and being sold out by the time it makes this forum.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Motherboards and CPUs aren't bad, It's the RAM and GPUs.  keep an eye out for deals like this -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZYPEHK/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=linus21-20

and jump on them when you see them.  There are lots of example of a deal coming up and being sold out by the time it makes this forum.

is there a bad side of using my DDR3 ram with a DDR4 Mobo?

1 minute ago, PaPaNurgle said:

is there a bad side of using my DDR3 ram with a DDR4 Mobo?

Well, other than it won't work no xD.  You can't use DDR3 on Ryzen AM4 or Intel after Z170 (i think).

you have a better chance of guessing the future using a magic 8 ball than getting a solid answer from anyone.

all it would take is a country like china, or russia, or the US to outlaw the possession of cryptocurrency and the GPU market would be FLOODED with dirt cheap GPUs.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

if anyone can confirm that, i'd appreciate it.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Well, other than it won't work no xD.  You can't use DDR3 on Ryzen AM4 or Intel after Z170 (i think).

if anyone can confirm that, i'd appreciate it.

100% confirm. There are no DDR3 ryzen boards. DDR3 and DDR4 use incompatible ram slot styles. They physically cannot interchange.

There are certain skylake/kabylake boards that use DDR3, but coffee lake put the kibosh on DDR3.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

100% confirm. There are no DDR3 ryzen boards. DDR3 and DDR4 use incompatible ram slot styles. They physically cannot interchange.

so i'd have to buy new ram sticks too :( darn...

1 minute ago, PaPaNurgle said:

yep. added a little info about z170 boards using DDR3 since skylake and kabylake i7's both support DDR3, but coffee lake (z370) is DDR4 only.

System specs:

8 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

dont i need to upgrade my mobo to upgrade my CPU atm, and if i do that i'd need to replace my ram sticks as well right?

this is why i think i should probably just take my SSD's and just buy a new pc overall, what do you think i should do guys?

Edited by PaPaNurgle

If you don't mind switching teams, the cheapest way to do this (i think) would be to buy a refirb prebuilt from Newegg or AMazon with a I5 that uses DDR3.  Transfer all the stuff (PSU, drives, etc.) from your old PC, buy a 1050TI or 1060 and boom, decent gaming rig, way better than Vishera could ever be.

2 minutes ago, PaPaNurgle said:

dont i need to upgrade my mobo to upgrade my CPU atm, and if i do that i'd need to replace my ram sticks as well right?

this is why i think i should probably just take my SSD's and just buy a new pc overall, what do you think i should do guys?

What is your budget and what are your uses/goals for a new machine?

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

If you don't mind switching teams, the cheapest way to do this (i think) would be to buy a refirb prebuilt from Newegg or AMazon with a I5 that uses DDR3.  Transfer all the stuff (PSU, drives, etc.) from your old PC, buy a 1050TI or 1060 and boom, decent gaming rig, way better than Vishera could ever be.

i have no right with my current cash balance to choose a team lmfao. so you'd recommend buying a refurb that has a DDR4 mobo that is compatible with DDR3 swapping it all over and just upgrading my GPU ?

Just now, Doomed83 said:

What is your budget and what are your uses/goals for a new machine?

my budget would be anywhere between 800-1200$ and i do everything, i stream/play games constantly/ do work/make videos etc

my budget would be anywhere between 800-1200$ and i do everything, i stream/play games constantly/ do work/make videos etc

What games do you play?

what frame rates do you want?

what applications do you use?

2 minutes ago, Doomed83 said:

What games do you play?

what frame rates do you want?

what applications do you use?

i play early access titles more or less recently, i do the occasional shooter but obsess over MMORPGS... as well as your occasional one offer like witcher 3 or w/e

i've grown accustom to 20-40fps but i know that's atrocious to some...

i also use OBS/Adobe premiere

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883159937&cm_re=dell_refirbished-_-83-159-937-_-Product

I7 and 8 GB of DDR3 with windows installed already and a PCI slot for a GPU.  It's not pretty, but it's cheap and capable.  

There are probably better ones out there.  This took me a couple minutes to find.

how do i know if a PC is compatible with DDR3 and DDR4 as well as compatible with newer CPU's in the more current linup like ryze or w/e else.