Buying a computer/parts during the crypto boom

Just now, PaPaNurgle said:

how do i know if a PC is compatible with DDR3 and DDR4 as well as compatible with newer CPU's in the more current linup like ryze or w/e else.

By what motherboard it has.  Like knightslugger said, DDR3 and DDR4 are not backwards compatible.  It's one or the other.

As far as CPU goes, again it's the motherboard and what socket and chipset it has.  https://ark.intel.com/ has all the info on the intel stuff although something like https://pcpartpicker.com/ might be easier to use as it will tell you if there is an incompatibility for anything, not just CPU and MOBO.  It is geared towards newer hardware though.

13 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

By what motherboard it has.  Like knightslugger said, DDR3 and DDR4 are not backwards compatible.  It's one or the other.

As far as CPU goes, again it's the motherboard and what socket and chipset it has.  https://ark.intel.com/ has all the info on the intel stuff although something like https://pcpartpicker.com/ might be easier to use as it will tell you if there is an incompatibility for anything, not just CPU and MOBO.  It is geared towards newer hardware though.

I really appreciate all this guidance guys. I think i'll wait for the seasonal sales to make my purchases. I believe that's my verdict unless anyone has any abrupt objections to make! Thanks everyone!

15 minutes ago, PaPaNurgle said:

i play early access titles more or less recently, i do the occasional shooter but obsess over MMORPGS... as well as your occasional one offer like witcher 3 or w/e

i've grown accustom to 20-40fps but i know that's atrocious to some...

i also use OBS/Adobe premiere

My suggestion would be a Ryzen 5 1600 or better system with probably a GTX 1060 6GB if you can find one for a reasonable price. I'd also suggest 16GB of ram for the Adobe work if you can swing it in the budget.

I'd personally upgrade the base system now and worry about upgrading the GPU later as the GTX770 4Gb isn't a bad card to hold you over. If you want to cut some more of the cost you might be able to use your current system SSD, case, PSU, and HDD if they aren't proprietary.

39 minutes ago, PaPaNurgle said:

refurb that has a DDR4 mobo that is compatible with DDR3

no. such. thing. if the MB uses DDR4, that is the only memory you can use. A DDR4 slot will not physically accept a DDR3 module.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Looking locally or a websites like this where you can also buy and sell parts are good, places like reddit apps like letgo and offer. You’d bound to find some cheap stuff eventually 

I kinda like the fact that prices are over inflated at the moment. Not like I am in the market to buy a personal gpu or ram.

Its good because other aspects of the pc market drives prices down.

6 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Intel after Z170 (i think).

Some Skylake boards support DDR3, it's only once you hit Z270 that DDR3 is completely phased out.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

22 hours ago, PaPaNurgle said:

if anyone can confirm that, i'd appreciate it.

You can not use DDR3 Ram with any new Mainboard. It even said so explicitly on their official page for mine

i5 7600K / Gigabyte R9 280X Windforce / Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3000/ Asus Prime Z270-P / beQuiet PowerZone 650W / Fractal Design Define S

240GB+480GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / Alpenföhn Brocken Eco / Lioncast LK30 / Razer Deathadder 2013 / t.bone SC 440 / Plantronics RIG500 / Sennheiser CX 3.00

GROUP B - The Golden Era of Rallying :x

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $1843 ($491 with sales)
  • Games owned: 129
  • Games played: 103 (79%)
  • Hours on record: 6,564.3h