What went wrong with Destiny 2?

Xander Cousins

So this is a constant debate me and my friend have when we screw around in the Tower. So firstly what was Destiny's downfall prior to D2? 

Destiny had a Identity crisis, it couldn't decide what genre it was going to be in. It couldn't decide weather it was a FPS, RPG or an MMO. It thought it was an FPS game when it came to the crucible which clashed with the PVE aspect which was Strikes, Raids and PVE aspects. How? Weapons where being balanced around PVP which caused the PVE players (RPG/MMO) ones to suffer damage output on Enemies and being under handed when it came to weapons that where hard to get. As when you grind for a weapon which is Hard to get you expect it to be really good but because of Crucible it caused them to be balanced nullifying the ones using it for PVE. 

Destiny only survived it's first year purely on the Vault of glass and the grinding people done for the weapons from it. The expansions helped keep it afloat then came the DLC that brought it out of Life support. The Taken King. This brought Better Gameplay, actual Character development and proper storylines. Among this it added many features to entertain all aspects of the community. 

At the end of Destiny one it was better than when it started. The crucible was enjoyable and actually showed skill differences between players. Strikes, Nightfalls and Raids where getting played weekly for enjoyment sake and just for banters and people where given the chance to just explore and chat (Which I done a lot).

Now to talk about Destiny 2. 

Among the EA trailer and gameplay the game storyline looked great! It added the aspects missing from Destiny one or so we thought. The opening Story acknowledged players of Destiny1 and showed them all their achievements but other than that they where forgotten. not only the players achievements where forgotten after the opening but the whole of Destiny 1 in general. 

Shaxx acknowledged the accomplishments that you made during Destiny 1 but Salidin forgets that your even a iron lord now and doesn't even acknowledge it. The Grimoire from Destiny 1 is Gone unless you go to third party websites and the lore in Destiny 2 contradicts ones from Destiny 1. The storyline of Destiny2 falls flat and is predictable. The cruicible doesn't allow players with Skill to flourish when going against multiple players as your health melts faster than you can react. The Grinding is nullified due to the fact all weapons have FIXED roles. Now this isn't bad but it means your pretty much only grinding for certain weapons etc.

In short the game is too Casual now. This can be visible by the fact you have clans. If your clan does the raid, crucible or nightfall together with or without you. you still get a reward that could be better than the ones who put effort to try and get them. Their isn't anything to grind for endgame as their is very little gameplay unless you do crucible.

Now some aspects that I think would have improved Destiny 2 is what's listed below;

1. Story missions where the Ai fight along side you. 

Not this first mission thing where Zavala hides behind a rock then throws up a bubble every now and then but actual Ai along side you Like Amanda holiday helps you out during the mission she require to pick you up. Maybe she providing covering fire while you unlocked a sealed gate etc. but something that gives you the sense of 'Oh shit, I can't do everything on my own' 

2. Dungeon type thing in the tower. You walk up to the door near ikora in the tower and that will transfer you to the Last City where you can help clear out the remaining cabal forces that are hiding or something and get rewarded for it by your vanguard (Similar to the Taken King court public event and the Iron Lords one)

3.Bring back the old PVP system. Where players choose what gametype they wanna play and actually have it that skill matters. Yes their are some people who can do 2v1's and win but they are either lucky to get a jump or have used grenades etc to aid in it. 

4.Bring back the RNG roles, as much as grinding for them was a pain they made the game more interesting as it means you are not just seeing the same weapons being used in the crucible every match. Like it's no longer funny on the amount of Uriels Gifts and Antydope-D is among the crucible  among other weapons. Yes I know they are good weapons but it removes the challenge of making a weapon your own and having you perform better with it than others if you all use the same weapons. 

Now I know this looks like someone ranting about a Dead game or nearly dead game but it is someone that doesn't want to see the efforts of Destiny 1 go down the drain.

Please feel free to post your opinion or suggestions to what you think could improve Destiny 2. And if your one of those people feel free to tear into me in the sense of 'oh just another bad player complaining, what's new their. 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

13 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

efforts of Destiny 1

Yeah, those were kinda crap already.  I enjoyed the game greatly until a dlc locked every piece of high tier gear behind a paywall....

Thanks bungie, I really hated using thuderlord :D not like exotics existing were the biggest reason I bought the game :D  Its been 3 years and im still salty :D

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Yeah, those were kinda crap already.  I enjoyed the game greatly until a dlc locked every piece of high tier gear behind a paywall....

The efforts of Destiny 1 wasn't all crappy if you where here from Day 1 you would have seen how much it improved (sadly having to pay for a fixed version of the game). Secondly the stuff locked behind dlc walls where still matched by ones that where available to vanilla players. so the weapon balancing was decent enough in Destiny 1. Along with the characters being balanced. you never felt that you had to be a specific character to be the best. As you could be a titan and dominate a warlock or hunter. and vica versa. Yet with Destiny 1 Warlocks are the only ones that get a boost in health regeneration which is Bs. as one of my engagments during the reload process of an SMG the warlock was able to start getting shields back in only 2-3 sec like that is BS

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

To Add to the Original Post the Character balancing isn't fair based on static boost to specific class'

Warlocks get a boost in Regeneration 

Hunters get a boost to movement speed 

Titans get a boost to defence. 

yet the defence for titans doesn't make you survive a little more shots, and the movement boost of the hunters only improves their aiming down sight moving speed and base walking speed. their sprint is still the same as every other character.

The main problem was the fact that you could spend hours on strikes and pvp, yet you'd still get less exotics than doing a heroic public event....That made no sense. And that's just for starters. Once you have finished the basic game, what do you do? What you do is...go onto another game because there's nothing left to do. Bungie decided that for destiny 2, they would remove the complex stuff, make the game simpler. And although that seemed like a good idea to pretty much everyone, it was a complete disaster in reality.

In Destiny 1, although it wasn't a great game either, at least you had to work hard for rewards. In Destiny 2, you just go into a mission and you're like 'Ooh an exotic, and I've only been playing for like 1 hour! Yay'

They removed the grind element from Destiny, to try and convince those that can't put the effort in to play the game 24/7. But destiny is about grinding and hard work, it isn't supposed to be easy to get a cool-looking gun. And that's what Bungie got wrong. They went down the route of 'We need to make this game more fun, let's remove the grindy nature of the game!' and it has severely backfired on them.

Another issue has been the clear and obvious fact that Bungie has focused more on the graphics of the game rather than the content. Yes, the game looks absolutely stunning. But that doesn't mean a thing if you're only going to play the game for a week or two and then die of boredom and leave. They focused on making the game look good, but neglected the game itself. They also removed some planets which a lot of people are extremely angry about. This makes Destiny 2 like a DLC without the base game included. It makes zero sense.

24 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

The main problem was the fact that you could spend hours on strikes and pvp, yet you'd still get less exotics than doing a heroic public event....That made no sense

The thing about that where you can get exotics more readily in a public event than a strike comes back down to the fact that Destiny 2 is a Casual Game it isn’t what Destiny 1 is where it was a hardcore game where you got rewards for your hard work. So that’s why Public events get more exotics as it is something casuals would play on more than strikes.

24 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

They also removed some planets which a lot of people are extremely angry about. This makes Destiny 2 like a DLC without the base game included. It makes zero sense.

As I stated in my main post  Bungie is trying to forget Destiny 1 which is why the Grimoire system was removed completely. Not just from Destiny 2 but their own website there is nothing there to acknowledge that you’re a D1 player unless you play the game or go to a third party website. Bungies biggest problem is that they chose to forget the mistakes of the past which is the worst thing to do. They ignored the errors they did in Destiny 1 and recreated some of them in Destiny2. This being the high caliber rounds becoming OP in Destiny 2 when nerfed in D1 to make it balanced. Along with the complete ignore of their working PVP system that they improved upon from Day 1. EVERYTHING They fixed in D1 they threw out the window and ignored. They wanted D2 to be a new slate and the ability to be better than D1. Well guess what? They have made a title for D2 and that’s that it is somehow worse than Destiny 1 content wise.

I sort of just stayed clear of it, because i rememvered i would allways require the new dlc. Not that the new dlc was a bad thing. The dlc they put out was great, but throwing another full pricetag at the game just because i was at a hiatus for a month kinda put me off getting it.

Destiny 1 was great. I mostly played pvp due to that being what i saw as the main appeal. The grinds to get the calcified fragments (or the following of a youtube guide) were nice. A joined late though, joining during the launch of the taken king. 

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

I sort of just stayed clear of it, because i rememvered i would allways require the new dlc. Not that the new dlc was a bad thing. The dlc they put out was great, but throwing another full pricetag at the game just because i was at a hiatus for a month kinda put me off getting it.

Destiny 1 was great. I mostly played pvp due to that being what i saw as the main appeal. The grinds to get the calcified fragments (or the following of a youtube guide) were nice. A joined late though, joining during the launch of the taken king. 

Well you joined at a goodtime, May have missed out on then Vanilla experience being that you could boost yourself to lvl30 n all but still wouldn't say you missed out on much. I followed a guide for the fragments well for the remaining as I was always just jumping into stupid places and stumbling onto them xD 

4 hours ago, Alex Colson said:

The efforts of Destiny 1 wasn't all crappy if you where here from Day 1 you would have seen how much it improved (sadly having to pay for a fixed version of the game). Secondly the stuff locked behind dlc walls where still matched by ones that where available to vanilla players

I was there from day one, saying it improved over time isn't a great compliment.  What they did was lock away the entire top tier of weapons and armor to anyone unwilling to pay up.  

Saying destiny 2 is in any way fundamentally different is being foolish.  Both were developed with the same pathetic money grab basegame + dlc + dlc strategy.

@Damascus I don't know what Destiny 1 you where playing but having the top tier of weapons locked off is way off. I would know as majority of my armour and weaponry was all base game Weapons and it never affect my gameplay in Crucible even when going against the Meta. So saying top tier weapons where locked off is kinda false unless you found the Base game weapons insufficient for your capabilities 

@Alex Colson im talkimg about exotics, after the doc came out and the level cap was increased for those who owned it all the most unique and powerful weapons and armor were locked.  I had a full kit of my favourite exotic gear that all of a sudden I wasn't allowed to use.

After that the game was just boring to me, why grind to get better loop when I've hit the ceiling and why play PvP when I masticate everyone I play against?  

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

why play PvP when I masticate everyone I play against? 

Trials of Osiris was there for that exact reason. To give people Like you who think they dominate all a challenge. Secondly Not all Exotics where locked behind when the reached a level cap and you where able to use the ones with a lower light level. Meaning you could use it with no problem using them in PVP as level cap is disabled. If Raid wise the weapons you had would still suffice for the raids you already had access to. 

1 hour ago, Alex Colson said:

Well you joined at a goodtime, May have missed out on then Vanilla experience being that you could boost yourself to lvl30 n all but still wouldn't say you missed out on much. I followed a guide for the fragments well for the remaining as I was always just jumping into stupid places and stumbling onto them xD 

Missions pinging me to pick up parts for the warpdrive while im going to the dreadnough after completing the raid :)

I enjoyed ~100 hours or so of the game. Got my moneys worth but haven't looked back since. It's tons of fun though when you have a group.

29 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

Trials of Osiris was there for that exact reason. To give people Like you who think they dominate all a challenge. Secondly Not all Exotics where locked behind when the reached a level cap and you where able to use the ones with a lower light level. Meaning you could use it with no problem using them in PVP as level cap is disabled. If Raid wise the weapons you had would still suffice for the raids you already had access to. 

Again, I don't like that what should have been base game content is constantly being sold to me.  Not interested, bungie is clearly trying to drain every last drop of cash it can out of people who remember the decade old legacy

@Damascus look whos acting as their publisher. Activision a company that is as bad as EA if not worse for squeezing money out of people. 

For most of my friends who played D1 and then went to warframe... To them it was more fun to play warframe than D1 or D2 and D2 was basically a DLC to D1.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Too much dick up the ass. That's what went wrong.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

a friend has the playstation and I played it a bit and it was weird, pve sucks and I hate pvp so 2/10 wouldn't buy

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I played, got to max level, lost all desire to play, went back to World of Warcraft. 

One of the problems I always find with this FPS/MMO hybrid thing... is that the content to keep me coming back just isn't there. I am sure there is some fun to be had with friends, but I never found a dedicated group to play with and most of my (WoW) Guild was interested in pushing mains and alts. This is opinionated, But I'v always enjoyed MMO games more for the massive worlds, large communities, and many reasons to come back and play. For example, I am only going to use World of Warcraft because it is what I play a lot of. I understand that there are many other MMO out there, I just don't have anything to compare it too. In WoW, When you reach late game there are many things a player can choose to do within the game. Want to push PvE content? Do some raids. Want to fight other players? PvP until your heart stops. Aside from the two main things, there is professions, pet battles, world exploration, and yes... RP still exists. With the release of Vanilla Servers coming soon (ish) It is very exciting to be a WoW player right now. 

On the flip side, Destiny 2 (for me) seemed to lack much direction in its late game. I was often (and I say again, this is opinionated) confused at the lack of "things" to do after my main stuff for the week was complete. Also, I wish the game would have played out more like Borderlands 2 where the loot was (more) frequent and the game was more entertaining. Destiny 2 felt a bit... serious to me.  

Anyways: OPINIONATED TL;DR

• The game lacked good end game content (when I played)
  • Levels felt liner with little in the ways of exploration
  • Story was bad
  • Ultimate Abilities were generic and forgettable  
  • Not enough to keep players interested
  • At it's core, the game was a Hybrid MMO/FPS that was bad at both

Come to the light. Come play Warframe

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

51 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Lies its come join the darkside xD we have cookies and you don't have to spend anything to play if you dont want too

10 hours ago, Defusion said:

Lies its come join the darkside xD we have cookies and you don't have to spend anything to play if you dont want too

Yes, that is all.

11 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Secondly already there. sadly I'm mainly a trader on warframe when I do play. have accumulated over 200 plat from nothing so happy with that and still got some decent prime stock to move. 

Check my bio for my Xbox gamertag as I don't play it on Pc (invested too much into the xbox version) If I am on Warframe you would usually see my Tag bouncing from Europe or North American Region chats

The all and glorious "eververse", or as I like to call it, bend your customers over and give them a spanking.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000