How heavy is too heavy to carry around all day?

killaDZA

For those that take their laptop to work, school etc everyday.... how much does your laptop weigh? Is it a pain to carry with you? Will you buy a lighter laptop next time? Any other thoughts advice on getting a laptop that you didnt think about? Thanks

3 minutes ago, killaDZA said:

For those that take their laptop to work, school etc everyday.... how much does your laptop weigh? Is it a pain to carry with you? Will you buy a lighter laptop next time? Any other thoughts advice on getting a laptop that you didnt think about? Thanks

Depends on your own body weight and body stature, but i had a hard time carrying my laptop (2,5kg) for like 6 hours in school non stop. Im 168 cm and 55kg.

3 minutes ago, killaDZA said:

The problem I think you will find with taking it to school etc. Isn't the weight but how bulky it is. I carry around a 2009 macbook and I don't find it heavy, just thick. I can't take all my books if I have that in my bag. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I care about weight zero.

If a laptop is 3 times the weight and 3 times as thick as another laptop but is proportionally as powerful , then I'm all for it. I'd rather have a heavy laptop that was faster for a longer period of time then a lighter laptop that was too slow after a year or two of usage.

Just now, emosun said:

I care about weight zero.

If a laptop is 3 times the weight and 3 times as thick as another laptop but is proportionally as powerful , then I'm all for it. I'd rather have a heavy laptop that was faster for a longer period of time then a lighter laptop that was too slow after a year or two of usage.

well, i want to see you carrying the predator 21X all day in school xD

Just now, Dumbee said:

well, i want to see you carrying the predator 21X all day in school xD

it's only 20lbs , that's about 40lbs less than the feed bags I have to throw over my shoulder when i feed the animals lol

Just now, emosun said:

it's only 20lbs , that's about 40lbs less than the feed bags I have to throw over my shoulder when i feed the animals lol

Do you walk arround with those bags for 6 hours straight? I myself can also lift a lot, but te more I lift, less time I can do it for. For a laptop for school, i'd recommend 1,5-2kg max even if you're strong af, its good enough for what you need it to do and it's light enough to not be unconfortable

Just now, huilun02 said:

If school/work requires intensive rendering then they better have a computer suited for the task on site, else I wouldn't want to be there in the first place. That aside, I'd go for an ultrabook for low weight and compactness. No point having a discrete GPU that adds cost, weight, bulk, and drains the battery. And you dont go to school/work to play games. Focus on what needs to be done and get the right equipment to do the job.

^

1 minute ago, Dumbee said:

Do you walk arround with those bags for 6 hours straight? 

I'm sorry do you walk around a school for 6 hours straight?

here I was under the impression school involved sitting in a room at some point , though it's been many years since I was last in school maybe they changed it.

4lbs maximum for me. I can lift a lot more than that, but I dont like walking around with a heavy bag. I dont mind if it's a bit slow because the heavy work is left for the heavy desktop at home. For a laptop, all I want is a fast and high capacity SSD, 16GB RAM and good battery life.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, emosun said:

I'm sorry do you walk around a school for 6 hours straight?

here I was under the impression school involved sitting in a room at some point , though it's been many years since I was last in school maybe they changed it.

That doesnt change the fact that you don't need a heavy laptop,even if you need it for a specific type of work and your school isnt well equiped. Even then there are a lot of good laptops that can be powerful, slim and light such as the MSI GS63VR (it's 1.9kg) has a 1060(i think there are some models with a 1070) and a Quad Core processor

1 minute ago, Dumbee said:

That doesnt change the fact that you don't need a heavy laptop,even if you need it for a specific type of work and your school isnt well equiped. Even then there are a lot of good laptops that can be powerful, slim and light such as the MSI GS63VR (it's 1.9kg) has a 1060(i think there are some models with a 1070) and a Quad Core processor

why are you even arguing?

The op asked our opinions. In my opinion , size matter zero because I'm not a whimpy girl and can handle heavy objects. buzz off

Weight is less of an issue than size for me, 15.6" is too big to pull out of and put back into my bag all day

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

36 minutes ago, killaDZA said:

snip

I prefer <2kg. But mine weights 2.4kg

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

mine is an average 2.27kg from 8 years ago at this point.... wow it's been a while (mostly use desktop) and if i have to carry it all day i do feel it and i'd prefer not to have it. but i haven't had anything lighter so idk. I either bring it if i need it or leave it. but for classes where you're mostly sitting all day i don't think it makes a difference. and if you have lots of books get a bigger bag....... this seem obvious.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

My laptop weighs 2.5kg, along with its 1kg power brick. I've been carrying it to school for 3 years and have been complaining for 3 years about its size and weight LOL. My next laptop would definitely be a smaller and lighter one.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

When I was between laptops, I had borrowed an old HP ZD8000 for a month. Besides the Alienware M18x and that one laptop with the mech keyboard, I hadn't seen anything wlse that compares in size. My HP DV7 is a featherweight by comparison.

The weight wasn't an issue so much as the lackluster battery life, by which I mean this thing will die in about a half hour of browsing. For all intents and purposes, that Pentium 4-M was essentially a desktop cpu, at least as far as power consumption goes. It's performance paled in comparison to my deceased laptop's Core 2 Duo though.

Don't think my back appreciated it much, especially walking up the stairs with this thing.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Buy a laptop that meets your requirements, if all you do is word and use a browser, then I would personally just get a 13" Ultrabook, but if you are doing engineering and need to build stuff in 3D, then get the most powerful laptop you can get your hands on. I have gotten a i7 7700hq with a 1050ti to lag a ton in inventor. My own bagpack weighs on average 10-11kg, I wouldn't classify that as super heavy or anything like that, I can feel that I have it on, but that is about it. I personally don't give a damn if my laptop weight is 1.5kg or 2.8kg, I am also going to stuff my backpack with like 1kg of PC accessories. I don't care if it is 1cm thick or 3.5cm thick, I actually prefer the thicker laptops, since the cooling system in those is often better. The only thing I really care about when we talk form factor is the screen size, 17" is too big, I would rather have a thicker and heavier 15".

Right now I have a 14" laptop that weighs about 2kg, super easy to lift and move around. I will most likely get a laptop that weighs 2.6kg next time.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

A balance is better I think a laptop near 5lbs 15 inch is the best at this case gives power and portability both . Battery  life is not taken here u can’t get much out of laptop with discrete gpu but the lower ones like mx 150 is nice but performance not that great . 

Hope it helps