Will the fuse pop if I light a pc on fire?

smitdylan2001

I'm going to put some flames (flamethrower and firecrackers) in an old pentium 3 pc for a video and I wonder if the fuse would pop if I did it. I will try to keep the psu from burning down and aim for the cpu and mobo. Is there a shorting protection in the psu or will the fuses just pop when the mobo dies? (Pentium 3 era)

if you don't directly burn anything but just heat the cpu and mobo it will power off pretty quickly. keep heating it and your caps will prolly pop. so nothing too spectacular

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

23 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Just put flames near the case panel so you don’t have to kill a functioning PC? There are orgs that use the old PCs for kids 

It already crashes often and no organizations like that near me (Netherlands) and most won't even pick it up

5 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

if you don't directly burn anything but just heat the cpu and mobo it will power off pretty quickly. keep heating it and your caps will prolly pop. so nothing too spectacular

Thanks, this makes me a lot more comfortable (:

1 minute ago, smitdylan2001 said:

Thanks, this makes me a lot more comfortable (:

I mean I'm still not telling you to do anything dangerous as lighting stuff on fire usually is.......

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Are we talking about a computer that is powered on while you do this?

In either case, PLEASE take all necessary safety precautions.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

:S

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

On 2/24/2018 at 4:28 PM, dalekphalm said:

Yes it would be powered on, when I put little firecrackers in I will run away from it of course haha.

What other precautions would I need to take? (It's outside)

27 minutes ago, smitdylan2001 said:

Yes it would be powered on, when I put little firecrackers in I will run away from it of course haha.

You're going to use incidearies on electronics that are plugged into mains... You've already thrown 'precautions' out the window.  This thread is basically "Hey, what's the least stupid way I can do something fucking stupid that doesn't involve NOT doing something fucking stupid?"

26 minutes ago, smitdylan2001 said:

First, how little are we talking? Second, how long is the fuse? Even a small firecracker can blow your fingers off. 

I would suggest:

1. Wear fire resistant protective gloves, fire resistant clothing, and a face shield (one of those clear lab grade ones is probably best - alternatively, safety glasses would be second best). 

2. Have a protective clear shield between the camera and the computer. 

3. Ensure you are either behind a fortified wall, or also behind the protective shield, when it goes off. 

4. Have fire extinguishers on hand.

5. Depending on local laws, you may need to notify the fire department ahead of time. 

6. Make sure the computer is plugged into a high grade surge suppressor. If possible, run off a self powered generator, in case the surge suppressor fails (you don’t affect a wider area or cause a blackout, etc). 

Furthermore, CHECK TO MAKE SURE THIS IS EVEN LEGAL FIRST!

At least one YouTuber has been charged by the ATF for “setting off an explosion” for an otherwise fairly safe educational video.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It's the cheapest possible, they don't even give a bang or something. When you put them on the street they spin around with a little colored flame (:

Don't think there will be anything flying around at all

I'd buy a cheap pc for this, Pentium IIIs are worth quite a bit now, especially if they are working. 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

I'd buy a cheap pc for this, Pentium IIIs are worth quite a bit now, especially if they are working. 

I got it for free tho....

16 minutes ago, smitdylan2001 said:

You do you then. Just don't come back crying to us if you burn your house down or an angry mob on YouTube comes after you. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

22 minutes ago, smitdylan2001 said:

sell it if it works and its free money

On 2/24/2018 at 9:07 AM, smitdylan2001 said:

I'm going to put some flames (flamethrower and firecrackers) in an old pentium 3 pc for a video and I wonder if the fuse would pop if I did it. I will try to keep the psu from burning down and aim for the cpu and mobo. Is there a shorting protection in the psu or will the fuses just pop when the mobo dies? (Pentium 3 era)

Fuck that. Buy a 9590-based system on a 970 chipset mobo, run the whole thing through one of these and let the fireworks take care of themselves.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

-= Locked =-

Probably not the best conversation to have.

I would never suggest lighting a PC on fire while plugged in to a wall, electrical fires start in a manner if different ways ways and though the chances of this starting secondary fires and possibly your home aflame may not be high but still a chance is to much.

Lets not give others poor ideas to act on, shall we?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER