H100i V2 Disappointing Performance

Hi all,

Purchased an H100i v2 from a user in the Aussie BSS facebook pc community and I've not seen the performance I've been looking for when I installed it.

I've been using the cooler in a NZXT H440 in the top mount position and had the block seated on my 4790k. I previously used the Coolermaster Hyper212 evo (which was great) but wanted to push some overclocks so I found this one. Unfortunately when I installed it, the idle temps have been around 10 degrees warmer and the load temperatures were about 10 degrees warmer again. I've tried 3d printing some washers for the backplate so that it would be more snug on my motherboard (asus mobos have varied pcb thickness causing oddities with mounting apparently), I've reinstalled the old cooler because it still works better. Though when running an AVX workload (y cruncher) they both get equally hot (around 90-100c) so I'm thinking I may have spilled some methylated spirits into the gap in the black silicon on the processor and washed away a little bit of thermal paste.

Any help now is appreciated, I want to delid my processor but I want to get this sorted out first.

Thanks

are you sure about your fresh thermal paste application? first thing i'd check i'm pretty sure getting anything under the IHS is pretty much impossible and delidding on 4790k won't do much either

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

So THERE is only 2 options

1. CPU TDP IS EXTEMELY HIGH
  2. WRONG MOUNTING ON CPU
  3. COOLER PUMP NOT WORKING

Solutions

1. Re Apply Cooler and read manual
  2. Re Apply Thermal Compound
  3. RMA the product on the Manufacturers website

15 minutes ago, Redicat said:

2. WRONG MOUNTING ON CPU

Solutions

3=2? :o

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

33 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

are you sure about your fresh thermal paste application? first thing i'd check i'm pretty sure getting anything under the IHS is pretty much impossible and delidding on 4790k won't do much either

I've remounted the cooler twice or three times over the last few weeks of working on it. Both with some average thermal paste that came with my hyper212 and some arctic silver 5 that I bought.

25 minutes ago, Redicat said:

2. WRONG MOUNTING ON CPU

Solutions

My 4790k is running stock which at around 88w shouldn't really be causing an issue.

I would like to OC but as soon as I set 1.2V and start the Aida stresstest, i'm in thermal throttling pretty hard 100C and 15% clock reduction.

My confusion is the relative better performance that my fairly average tower cooler is giving over what is supposed to be one of the better out-of-box solutions before custom loop and other exotics.

30 minutes ago, Prqnk3d said:

were the pump + fans working normally?

They seem fine, the pump and fans all show in corsair link and show that they're spinning at around 1600-2000 rpm. The fans are a little noisy but that shouldn't stop them from cooling.

Just now, TechGuy10 said:

I've remounted the cooler twice or three times over the last few weeks of working on it. Both with some average thermal paste that came with my hyper212 and some arctic silver 5 that I bought.

My 4790k is running stock which at around 88w shouldn't really be causing an issue.

I would like to OC but as soon as I set 1.2V and start the Aida stresstest, i'm in thermal throttling pretty hard 100C and 15% clock reduction.

My confusion is the relative better performance that my fairly average tower cooler is giving over what is supposed to be one of the better out-of-box solutions before custom loop and other exotics.

They seem fine, the pump and fans all show in corsair link and show that they're spinning at around 1600-2000 rpm. The fans are a little noisy but that shouldn't stop them from cooling.

Have you tried setting the PUMP in the Corsair Link to PERFORMANCE?

1 minute ago, TechGuy10 said:

-snip- 

check how warm the tubes are to see if the pump is actually moving water

The H440 has very restrictive panels. See how comparison compares between the coolers with the front and top panels removed. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.