1950x vs 7900x vs 7700k - Which should I buy for my use case?

Aakburns
Go to solution Solved by Aakburns,

After some research.. the 7900x and 1950x are pointless.  In fact, adobe products will perform worse on these cpu's.  The 7700k and 8700k are the best route to go and much cheaper.

Makes me a little sad, I wanted to build some crazy thing.  Turns out it's absolutely pointless.

So.. 8700k it is.

Anyone still interested in this topic, here are some reading materials.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2411358

I'm about to build a new machine for editing.  I heavily use after effects.  I'm at a crossroads here. 

Is it better to go with threadripper 1950x or something like the i7-7900x or even the i7-7700k?

It seems I'd be better off staying with intel from the information I've found.  

This article seems to sum it up to staying with intel.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/After-Effects-CC-2017-2-CPU-Comparison-Skylake-X-vs-Threadripper-1015/

I really need solid real time playback as much as possible.

Does anyone have any input about this?

Unless you're working with huge files (and I mean HUGE), the 8700K would probably be enough. If you wanted to go with team red, the Threadripper 1900x would also be a good idea.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

7900x, or maybe an 8700k.  @done12many2 did a bunch of testing, check the post history.

Edited by Damascus
8700k seems best

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, bellabichon said:

Unless you're working with huge files (and I mean HUGE), the 8700K would probably be enough. If you wanted to go with team red, the Threadripper 1900x would also be a good idea.

The 1900X is only 8 cores, like the ryzen 7s. If you're gonna go TR, at least grab the 12-core 1920X.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Almostbauws said:

The newer article from the same website you used gives the win to threadripper:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/After-Effects-CC-2017-2-CPU-Performance-Core-i9-7940X-7960X-7980XE-1037/

Good catch.  I rescind 7900x and recommend an 8700k.

There is no reason to try to sugar coat things here, for normal After Effects projects these new CPUs from Intel are not very good. To be fair, After Effects is about the worst case scenario for these CPUs as the software is very poor at utilizing high core counts, but it is interesting to see just how much slower these expensive CPUs actually are:

After Effects Skylake-X Core i9 7940X 7960X 7980XE Overall Benchmark Results

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Energycore said:

The 1900X is only 8 cores, like the ryzen 7s. If you're gonna go TR, at least grab the 12-core 1920X.

Fair enough. I just don't think he needs a $1200 CAD CPU for his workload.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

35 minutes ago, Aakburns said:

Threadripper because it's fun to have 16 cores, which also means if you have only one workstation you can set 8 cores to render something while you work on a another project on the same PC. Or game on the same PC without dropping any frames giving 12 cores to the rendering

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Threadripper because it's fun to have 16 cores, which also means if you have only one workstation you can set 8 cores to render something while you work on a another project on the same PC.

Yes that is a very good reason to get a threadripper!

43 minutes ago, Aakburns said:

I'm about to build a new machine for editing.  I heavily use after effects.  I'm at a crossroads here. 

Is it better to go with threadripper 1950x or something like the i7-7900x or even the i7-7700k?

It seems I'd be better off staying with intel from the information I've found.  

This article seems to sum it up to staying with intel.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/After-Effects-CC-2017-2-CPU-Comparison-Skylake-X-vs-Threadripper-1015/

I really need solid real time playback as much as possible.

Does anyone have any input about this?

I know you say that you heavily use AE, but what else do you use your rigs for?  If that's it, pick up a 1950x.  Great CPU, but I will say that between my 1950x and my 7900x, the 7900x is much better at more things overall.   If you are task specific to AE, you don't have to concern yourself with that.  

Added bonus, 1950x mines like a beast so when you aren't editing in AE, mine Monero and recoup the cost of your 1950x in a year or so.  

24 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I know you say that you heavily use AE, but what else do you use your rigs for?  If that's it, pick up a 1950x.  Great CPU, but I will say that between my 1950x and my 7900x, the 7900x is much better at more things overall.   If you are task specific to AE, you don't have to concern yourself with that.  

Added bonus, 1950x mines like a beast so when you aren't editing in AE, mine Monero and recoup the cost of your 1950x in a year or so.  

I use a lot of adobe products and some cad when needed.  However, heavily tracking in mocha.  Things such as removing objects from video... example, if you had footage and a director wanted a logo removed from the shot or a person all together.

It's a lot of screwing around to achieve the results.

I do game on my machine as well, but I'm not worried about that, I have a second machine for that.

I have a bias to Intel, simply because it's been around and been optimized more for this type of work over AMD's stuff.  Though.. threadripper is tempting.

I am more than happy to pay 1000 - 1500 for a cpu.. so if you take price out of the build, it's a hard choice.

42 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Threadripper because it's fun to have 16 cores, which also means if you have only one workstation you can set 8 cores to render something while you work on a another project on the same PC. Or game on the same PC without dropping any frames giving 12 cores to the rendering

Core count isn't everything.

Can an argument be made for using any of these CPUs in After Effects? Really the only time it would make sense is if you use the integrated "Cinema 4D" 3D renderer or some other CPU-based rendering engine.

In premiere pro i'm having much better result from gpu playback then cpu / software.

18 minutes ago, Aakburns said:

Core count isn't everything.

AE may not optimized for multicore for now, but it will be better in the future i hope.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

The real question is this.  Is the 7700k actually a better cpu for these work loads over the i9 line and thread ripper?  Data seems to support that thought.

Further, this system will get a titan xp as well.

If AE prefered clock speed then 7700k would be better. But why not 8700k? It got better ipc.

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

core count isn't everything, but this is a fun way to use the extra cores.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

8 minutes ago, Aakburns said:

The real question is this.  Is the 7700k actually a better cpu for these work loads over the i9 line and thread ripper?  Data seems to support that thought.

Further, this system will get a titan xp as well.

After Effects is terribly optimized so yes the 8700K is better than Threadripper or X299 CPUs

However if you do anything else like Handbrake encoding, anything multi-threaded, or you want to be able to work while you're rendering something using the extra cores, or game while you're rendering, having the extra cores is going to be nice

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

And handbrake loves core count.

Handbrake not an editor, just a converter.

I Use it to compress h264 for videos.

I can get 1/4 of the size from h264 rendered by premiere.

After some research.. the 7900x and 1950x are pointless.  In fact, adobe products will perform worse on these cpu's.  The 7700k and 8700k are the best route to go and much cheaper.

Makes me a little sad, I wanted to build some crazy thing.  Turns out it's absolutely pointless.

So.. 8700k it is.

Anyone still interested in this topic, here are some reading materials.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2411358

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the build results. 

8700k, 64gb ddr 4 corsair ram, gtx 970 that was lying around for now, and the asus hero x motherboard.