Budget DSLR for Videos

Go to solution Solved by xQubeZx,

A used Panasonic G7 is the only mirrorless/dslr you will find that does anything higher than 1080p in that price range. And most cameras doesn’t shoot 1440p. Either you go for 1080p or 4k in most consumer dslr/mirroless. 

A used Panasonic G7 is the only mirrorless/dslr you will find that does anything higher than 1080p in that price range. And most cameras doesn’t shoot 1440p. Either you go for 1080p or 4k in most consumer dslr/mirroless. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

On 2/17/2018 at 1:27 PM, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

What are the best DSLR for videos that can shoot at least 1440p video ?? Budget $300-$500

23 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

I don't recommend getting the Panasonic G7.  since I have seen this person asking about color grading and making cinematic looking videos I think a better camera would be the Blackmagic pocket cinema camera which also uses a micro 4/3 lens mount and it can record video in cinema dng raw.  it may be more expensive than the G7 but it is better suited for video than many basic dslr photo cameras that can record video.  or get the Panasonic GH5 which records in high bit rate and has the v-log gamma curve with an upgrade and can shoot 4K. but personally in my opinion the Ursa Mini 4K is the cheapest camera on the market for proper cinematography.

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

4 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

I don't recommend getting the Panasonic G7.  since I have seen this person asking about color grading and making cinematic looking videos I think a better camera would be the Blackmagic pocket cinema camera which also uses a micro 4/3 lens mount and it can record video in cinema dng raw.  it may be more expensive than the G7 but it is better suited for video than many basic dslr photo cameras that can record video.  or get the Panasonic GH5 which records in high bit rate and has the v-log gamma curve with an upgrade and can shoot 4K. but personally in my opinion the Ursa Mini 4K is the cheapest camera on the market for proper cinematography.

The issue is that this dude has stated a budget in the 500US range and for that you wont get much. Otherwise I would also have reccomended something like the GH5 or a Cinema camera of some sort 

21 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

The issue is that this dude has stated a budget in the 500US range and for that you wont get much. Otherwise I would also have reccomended something like the GH5 or a Cinema camera of some sort 

I saw his budget too but if he really wants to do the stuff he is asking he needs to make a better investment

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

23 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

I saw his budget too but if he really wants to do the stuff he is asking he needs to make a better investment

Yes, but he is likley a 15 year old and will probably not be able to expand it. So I recommended the best he would get in that budget imo

7 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Yes, but he is likley a 15 year old and will probably not be able to expand it. So I recommended the best he would get in that budget imo

Yes, you are 100% right 

7 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

Should I have to wait?? Or buy a canon 800D or 1300D for 1080p video?? Or go for an good iPhone that can shoot 4K?? (Actually I have an iPhone SE that can shoot 4K) or wait till summer or after two-three months pre-order the RED        Hydrogen One phone. Or buy a different canon DSLR ?? 

Just now, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

What you guys think about RED hydrogen one phone??

Or an iPhone X ?? Well I think both are great, isn't??

18 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

What are the good cameras with log profile ?? ($1000 or less)

What is cinestyle profile?? 

How to shoot in log profile?? 

How to fake a log profile???

Cameras that shoot log ??

19 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

That may be the case and if so I think he should just get a good camera that falls in his budget and practice cinematography

1 hour ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

What are the good cameras with log profile ?? ($1000 or less)

for about £1000 or less you can buy the black magic pocket cinema camera which can record in cinema dng and prores.  if you record in cinema dng you don't have to worry about using log gamma but i think the image recorded by the camera will have linear gamma instead of curved gamma profiles that are typical with using log gammas but you can compensate for this in post production

11 hours ago, LIQUIDFOX00200 said:

What you guys think about RED hydrogen one phone??

it hasn't even shipped yet and very few people know what it can do

Or an iPhone X ?? Well I think both are great, isn't??

Should I have to wait?? Or buy a canon 800D or 1300D for 1080p video?? Or go for an good iPhone that can shoot 4K?? (Actually I have an iPhone SE that can shoot 4K) or wait till summer or after two-three months pre-order the RED        Hydrogen One phone. Or buy a different canon DSLR ?? 

using your phone for cinematography is like using a point and shoot camera for photography, you should try to get everything right in the camera and not wait until post processing to get a cinematic look and feel