Asus Strix 1080 Ti vs 1080

AustinLee5472

Ok guys. Just bought a Strix 1080 off of eBay. It had been lightly used for a month in an sli rig and the user decided sell one card (mine). I received it and installed it and when the fans spin up you can hear some coil whine. My build overall has been nearly silent until this point and it is driving me insane hearing this. I have been looking around and found a fan and heatsink for sale for $70 on eBay but it is for a Strix 1080 Ti. I have been combing through the Internet and YouTube and have not been able to find if the fan and heatsink are different between the two or not. If they are not, I can pick up this setup and replace mine and hopefully fix the problem. Any input is greatly appreciated! 

coil whine is not related to the fans or the temps so changing it wont help. only thing you can do is limit your frames

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

Coil whine doesnt come from the cooelr, it comes from the GPU

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, Alesek said:

coil whine is not related to the fans or the temps so changing it wont help. only thing you can do is limit your frames

It doesn’t whine until the fans spin up though. Under load before the fans spin up there is no noise. Unless it’s a fan whine (?) if that’s a thing

8 minutes ago, AustinLee5472 said:

Ok guys. Just bought a Strix 1080 off of eBay. It had been lightly used for a month in an sli rig and the user decided sell one card (mine). I received it and installed it and when the fans spin up you can hear some coil whine. My build overall has been nearly silent until this point and it is driving me insane hearing this. I have been looking around and found a fan and heatsink for sale for $70 on eBay but it is for a Strix 1080 Ti. I have been combing through the Internet and YouTube and have not been able to find if the fan and heatsink are different between the two or not. If they are not, I can pick up this setup and replace mine and hopefully fix the problem. Any input is greatly appreciated! 

I wouldn't assume that's coil whine without comparing it to some recordings of different GPU problems. Like everyone else said, coil whine doesn't come from the fans.

There are different bad sounds that can come from a graphics card.

If I were you, I'd try reseating it and paying close attention to anything that may be allowing vibrations to happen. Like, is the screw that's holding down the graphics card tight enough for example?

Coil whine is a very specific sound so check some videos on it and get back to us.

thats the difference between causation and correlation...

if the gpu is not doing anything, there will be no coil whine and at the same time the fans dont need to spin up. If the gpu is working its butt off to push 300fps, there will be coil whine. Fans spin up to cool down the gpu. However fans spinning up doesnt influence the coil whine. You can use afterburner or something like that to ramp up the fan speed when the gpu is idle and you will see if there is coil whine

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

4 minutes ago, Alesek said:

thats the difference between causation and correlation...

if the gpu is not doing anything, there will be no coil whine and at the same time the fans dont need to spin up. If the gpu is working its butt off to push 300fps, there will be coil whine. Fans spin up to cool down the gpu. However fans spinning up doesnt influence the coil whine. You can use afterburner or something like that to ramp up the fan speed when the gpu is idle and you will see if there is coil whine

I used Afterburner to ramp the speeds up to different levels and left it for 30 seconds or so to see if it changed anything. At 85% fan speed, the whine stopped and it was just regular fan noise. And I am not maxing the graphics card by any means. I’ve limited to 100 FPS on 1080p settings and it still whines. I will open the case up to make sure everything is tight and seated properly when I get back home as it could very well be an issue

yes at 100 fps it whines but less than at 200 fps. Do this... ramp up the fans in desktop, not in game. Is there any coil whine? if no, the fans are ok. If yes, it is classic coin whine and you wont get rid of it

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

8 minutes ago, Alesek said:

yes at 100 fps it whines but less than at 200 fps. Do this... ramp up the fans in desktop, not in game. Is there any coil whine? if no, the fans are ok. If yes, it is classic coin whine and you wont get rid of it

I did it at desktop with only afterburner open. It would stop whining at about 85% and was just fan noise

if it stops after increasing the fan speed (everything else being the same), then id suggest to try what stateofpsychosis said

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

So this is the noise I’m experiencing. It doesn’t only last through startup but through the whole time the fans are on

5 hours ago, Alesek said:

5 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I wouldn't assume that's coil whine without comparing it to some recordings of different GPU problems. Like everyone else said, coil whine doesn't come from the fans.

If I were you, I'd try reseating it and paying close attention to anything that may be allowing vibrations to happen. Like, is the screw that's holding down the graphics card tight enough for example?

Coil whine is a very specific sound so check some videos on it and get back to us.

I have taken my graphics card out, placed it on a table and spun each individual fan with my finger. The problem fan is the furthest one from the mounting bracket (the far right one). This brings me back to the original question of my post; does anybody know if the 1080 Ti and the 1080 have the same cooling system?

image.jpg

5 hours ago, Alesek said:

5 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

4462CF6C-A579-4310-B888-2B062AA76BA1.MOV

coil whine is more buzzing, this is clicking...

anyways, you can buy a replacement fan or first try to RMA it

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

1 hour ago, Alesek said:

coil whine is more buzzing, this is clicking...

anyways, you can buy a replacement fan or first try to RMA it

Yeah i was mistaken in what I was hearing. I’m not going to RMA as it would take probably close to a month to get a new card with the way the market is. The fan replacement is easy enough so I’m just gonna stick with the fans

When I had an issue with Asus monitor, they sent me a new one before I had to send mine back so maybe they can do the same with your GPU

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

16 hours ago, AustinLee5472 said:

It doesn’t whine until the fans spin up though. Under load before the fans spin up there is no noise. Unless it’s a fan whine (?) if that’s a thing

Cuz fan start spinning at same time as gpu starts working so just a coincidence

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

6 hours ago, AustinLee5472 said:

Yeah i was mistaken in what I was hearing. I’m not going to RMA as it would take probably close to a month to get a new card with the way the market is. The fan replacement is easy enough so I’m just gonna stick with the fans

I think that's a really bad idea. You should RMA it and just be patient. Don't waste a perfectly good warranty and soon as you start taking things apart, you're going to void your warranty and then you can't get a replacement if you need one so DON'T DO THAT!