Integrated GPU redundant with discrete card?

Wanted to know if the iGPU in the Core series provide any performance benefit when a discrete graphics card is installed, or if they are just redundant.

Depends what you're doing. It generally is disabled by default, but it can be enabled again and used for running additional monitors. 

If you're not running out of ports on your graphics card, I would just leave the iGPU off, it won't really do anything even if it's enabled. 

They become redundant after a dGPU is installed. 

They are good to have though incase your dGPU dies so you can still use your system.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, ilikecomputersalot said:

So they can be assigned to run a separate monitor?

yep, but normally just use the extra ports on your dgpu.

also im guessing commnand line, BIOS, terminal, still run from motherboards hdmi if dGPU dies, or if i have Xeon processor

1 minute ago, ilikecomputersalot said:

also im guessing commnand line, BIOS, terminal, still run from motherboards hdmi if dGPU dies,

no , much like most computers from the past 20 years the gpu will output all video signals unless it's removed.

Unless you specifically want to move the hdmi cable back and forth to the integrated gpu then i suppose you could use it for that

If the dGPU dies, you will need to remove it first, then the PC will function as normal with the exception of plugging your monitor into the motherboard.  Games will generally play, but FPS is horrible with any settings above low or resolution above 720p.  Some old games will play well on the iGPU, but anything triple A from the past 3-5 years will  not.

They are good as a backup or when you run out of display outputs on your dGPU and you still need to plug in some extra monitors.

You don't plug your monitor into your motherboard when you have dedicated card, what do you think?

I use mine because that way my boot screen appears on my primary monitor, and because why not? It lessens the load on the card when it's being maxed out, and as far as I could find out from a few quick searches the igpu doesn't really tax your cpu.  The screens integrate perfectly (ie dragging an image, video, or anything, between them).

It would be a different story if you were gaming on both screens or something similar, but I'm not. My secondary is just for additional stuff when my primary is full.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Unless you pair an AMD APU with an AMD Graphics card then it should automaticially switch off.

12 hours ago, keskparane said:

I use mine because that way my boot screen appears on my primary monitor, and because why not? It lessens the load on the card when it's being maxed out, and as far as I could find out from a few quick searches the igpu doesn't really tax your cpu.  The screens integrate perfectly (ie dragging an image, video, or anything, between them).

It would be a different story if you were gaming on both screens or something similar, but I'm not. My secondary is just for additional stuff when my primary is full.

Not quite true.  In Windows Vista and later all extra monitors are rendered on the primary GPU and copied to the secondary GPU's to display on their outputs.

The only way it works like you say is when using Optimus on a laptop.

1 hour ago, KarathKasun said:

Not quite true.  In Windows Vista and later all extra monitors are rendered on the primary GPU and copied to the secondary GPU's to display on their outputs.

The only way it works like you say is when using Optimus on a laptop.

OMG I had no idea.

You lead me to run some basic tests.

• Running valley on the igpu when set as primary monitor didn't draw on the card.
  • Playing youtube on the secondary from igpu had 15% usage on the primary card.
  • Playing youtube on the secondary from card and only 10% on card.

I am shocked to see the card had to work harder when igpu used.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

On 2/11/2018 at 9:15 PM, ilikecomputersalot said:

Wanted to know if the iGPU in the Core series provide any performance benefit when a discrete graphics card is installed, or if they are just redundant.

Best use for it is emergency backup if your GPU dies.

Aside from that, you can use Quicksync thru the igpu to help render video or as an encoder for streaming to twitch/YT. (I do)

As stated in two posts above me, using the igpu to power a 2nd panel actually increased the total system load.