AMD FX 8350 Fused to heatsink

Hi everyone.  Story is, my buddy wanted me to clean out his computer.  RIP everything out and hit it with compressed air.  Well, I go to take the heatsink off the CPU and the whole thing pops out.  Not uncommon for AM3+ CPUs, at least in my experience.  But, the CPU is now fused to the heatsink.  

Tried twisting while pulling.  Tried soaking some dental floss in rubbing alcohol and working through it....but after like 40-ish mins of doing this, I've gotten MAYBE a couple of millimeters under one of the corners.

I've read on a couple of different forums that literally soaking the CPU in 91% isopropyl alcohol to get it to pop loose....but I am leary of doing this for obvious reasons lol.  He doesn't have a heat gun and neither do I.  

So, has anyone tried the 91% isopropyl alcohol method?  Will it kill the CPU?  Are there any other methods that work?  Thanks guys and gals.

Have you tried (I assume you have) gently prying it off? I've had to do that before. No damage. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Rallenhayestime said:

how the fuck

He hasn't changed the thermal compound since he and another friend built it like 6-7 years ago LOL

4 minutes ago, CyDone said:

He doesn't have a heat gun and neither do I.  

hair dryer?

might also be able to pry it off with a precision flat head screw driver 

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Have you tried (I assume you have) gently prying it off? I've had to do that before. No damage. 

Yeah.  Gently pulling with twisting.  Thing won't budge.  The CPU and heatsink have become one lol

maybe a long flat knife under it? with a bit of heat from something like a hairdryer or something.

Also soaking in alcohol should be fine

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

Being an fx8350, it fusing to the heatsink sounds reasonable

CPU: Core i3 8100 @ 3,6GHz 

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 750ti 2GB 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B360M-DS3H

RAM: 8GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 2400mHz

Storage: 2TB WD 7200RPM HDD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD

Case: Deepcool Dukase V3

PSU: Corsair CX450

Keyboard: Cougar Core

Mouse: Logitech G502

Headset: HyperX Cloud Stinger

Just now, emosun said:

hair dryer?

might also be able to pry it off with a precision flat head screw driver 

I've read that you don't want to apply any direct heat to the CPU because it might fry some transistors?  And I have tried a flathead screwdriver, but there is literally no room to fit it underneath the cpu

2 minutes ago, CyDone said:

Hi everyone.  Story is, my buddy wanted me to clean out his computer.  RIP everything out and hit it with compressed air.  Well, I go to take the heatsink off the CPU and the whole thing pops out.  Not uncommon for AM3+ CPUs, at least in my experience.  But, the CPU is now fused to the heatsink.  

Tried twisting while pulling.  Tried soaking some dental floss in rubbing alcohol and working through it....but after like 40-ish mins of doing this, I've gotten MAYBE a couple of millimeters under one of the corners.

I've read on a couple of different forums that literally soaking the CPU in 91% isopropyl alcohol to get it to pop loose....but I am leary of doing this for obvious reasons lol.  He doesn't have a heat gun and neither do I.  

So, has anyone tried the 91% isopropyl alcohol method?  Will it kill the CPU?  Are there any other methods that work?  Thanks guys and gals.

Its only uncommon if you use a trash heatsink and a trash thermal compound. As for methods to remove, I have a method but its not 100% safe if you use your hand to grip the cpu like I did since I had no vice at the time. Anyways here's how I'd do it (note that this was done with a socket AM2+ sempron taken from an ancient dell dimension):

Get the cpu in a vice grip (make sure the vice is gripping the pcb and the lid is sticking over the top of the vice)

Get a stanley knife or something that's sharp and thin.

Hack away at a corner where the heat sink and CPU lid fuse (that way you've opened yourself a little gap in the fuse)

If impossible to then seperate the heat sink from the CPU lid and the CPU itself, continue hacking away with the blade until the majority of the fusing has been hacked away.

If still impossible, hack away until  you've completely seperated the CPU and heatsink.

Yes this sounds crazy but I've done it before. Had to bend a few pins back into shape in my case but that's my own fault for using my hand to grip the cpu instead of a vice.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

3 minutes ago, Rallenhayestime said:

put the cpu back in the motherboard and fire up prime95 for 10 mins, then shut down and remove again.

Can't do that as the socket retention arm is in the way of me being able to put the CPU back in

Just now, Majestic said:

@xriqn I'd say dental floss is safer... 

I did say its not 100% safe, but it worked for me. The CPU wasn't killed by a few bent pins either, just had to straighten them out.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

Try the isopropyl

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Remove the fan and hit the heatsink with a hair dryer. Get it hot to the touch.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

I'd remove it for you if I was near. I found the easiest way was to isolate the pins of the CPU, and applying isopropyl alcohol to the edges every 5 minutes, and then using a plastic pry tool to force the isopropyl alcohol into the small crevices. It takes a while, but I got mine off eventually.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

51 minutes ago, emosun said:

pry it off with a razor blade and hair dryer.

My buddy doesn't own a hair dryer and neither do I lol

1 minute ago, CyDone said:

My buddy doesn't own a hair dryer and neither do I lol

goodwill , 3$

or you can throw the cpu and heatsink away and try none of the fixes people suggested. up to you

Just now, emosun said:

goodwill , 3$

or you can throw the cpu and heatsink away and try none of the fixes people suggested. up to you

I am waiting on my friend to get off of work before trying any of these.  No need to get snarky.

5 minutes ago, CyDone said:

I am waiting on my friend to get off of work before trying any of these.  No need to get snarky.

Please do tell when you're ready. BTW, I can actually attest to the safe effectiveness of 90% Isopropyl (use dit on a smartphone - cam out just fine).