Mineral Oil Cooled PC - Question

JekTek

Hello all, 

I have a few questions on mineral oil cooling and what will work/what will not will not. Most of these I figure will be alright to do, however, before I drop a couple of grand on a mineral oil Pc I want to make sure it will start. It has been awhile since Linus made his mineral oil build so I want to make sure that newer computer parts/features work with mineral oil.  

1.) I presume that the new motherboards with RGB lighting on them will still work under mineral oil as mineral nonconductive, however, will the mineral oil do anything to the lighting controller on the motherboard. More specifically I am going to be using the Asus - TUF X299 Mark 2 Mobo will that work under mineral oil.                                                                          2.) Can I use an m.2 drive? I know that a mechanical hard drive cannot work as the spinning disk will be stalled by the mineral oil and eventually break. Does any of the properties of an m.2 drive not work under mineral oil? Or does an m.2 drive work similar to an SSD where it can operate under mineral oil?

1) it works fine

2) yes

3) don't do mineral oil cooling

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, JekTek said:

Hello all, 

I have a few questions on mineral oil cooling and what will work/what will not will not. Most of these I figure will be alright to do, however, before I drop a couple of grand on a mineral oil Pc I want to make sure it will start. It has been awhile since Linus made his mineral oil build so I want to make sure that newer computer parts/features work with mineral oil.  

1.) I presume that the new motherboards with RGB lighting on them will still work under mineral oil as mineral nonconductive, however, will the mineral oil do anything to the lighting controller on the motherboard. More specifically I am going to be using the Asus - TUF X299 Mark 2 Mobo will that work under mineral oil.                                                                          2.) Can I use an m.2 drive? I know that a mechanical hard drive cannot work as the spinning disk will be stalled by the mineral oil and eventually break. Does any of the properties of an m.2 drive not work under mineral oil? Or does an m.2 drive work similar to an SSD where it can operate under mineral oil?

The boards still obey the laws of nature, so do LEDs, and their controllers, and yes.... An M.2 SSD is still an SSD so that'll work fine. Lot of reading in that for not much content. 

Yours faithfully

0) Don't build a mineral oil PC.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

The answer to both questions is "it'll work, but why would you do it?"

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

The answer to both questions is "it'll work, but why would you do it?"

Because during intense sessions you can cook french fries. :P

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

1. All the oil does is slow down moving parts, which an RGB switch is just wiring and electrical currents, therefore will work fine.

2. An m.2 drive is an SSD. m.2 is the connection protocol. Unlike SATA, it is faster, and the drives used are just smaller SSD's.

PS. I wouldn't recommend doing a mineral oil PC, as it's a huge mess, you have to know what you're doing, the cooling benefits aren't as great as you'd hope (unless you're running some serious radiators to cool the oil) and your upgradeability is small and it's near impossible to sell old parts.

10 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Because during intense sessions you can cook french fries. :P

The perfect crime 

Mineral oil is used to treat constipation. It is known as a lubricant laxative. It works by keeping water in the stool and intestines.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-153865/mineral-oil-laxative-oral/details

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

This went left quickly...

Also, some mechanical drives come helium filled and sealed from the environment (such as this one). I'd bet that one of those would work while submerged in mineral oil while providing large amounts of storage.

a lot of people are gonna tell you not to cool your computer with horse laxatives, and they're right. 

its a lot more effort than its worth.  the cooling performance isn't as good as you'd think. Mineral oil isn't cheap. your computer is going to weigh a fuck ton. if you break the case, you'll get oil everywhere and its a bitch to clean up. swapping parts is the biggest pain in the ass and the old parts have to hang dry for over a week before you can do anything with them.

its not worth it. but if you insist, yes the board will work, yes an m.2 will work.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

It was a cool shock value in the 90s but after water cooling upgraded from a car heater core and fish tank pumps to what we have now,The whole mineral oil idea slowly died out over the years for many reasons that are already listed.