Hi, 

I'm putting together a PC with the following parts:
- i7 2600

- 8 gb ddr3

- Nvidia geforce gtx 970

- some OEM mobo from Medion

- 64 gb ssd

- 1.5 TB hdd

I just need to determine which PSU I'll use. I'm currently thinking about buying a Be Quiet! System Power 8 - 500W. My budget max is 55 euros. Do you guys agree on this choice or not, and if you don' t, please suggest a different psu.

Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, Lennart van de Merwe said:

Can 450 watts even handle this system?

On 5/2/2015 at 2:05 AM, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

No, 400 watts is enough, I would personally probably do 450, but depending on what else is in the system, and overclock settings, it would work. The 970 will not pull more than ~180 ish watts under load. The CPU +mobo + RAM and all of that is under 200 watts. But like I said, more depends on which PSU you choose, the wattage may be enough, but the amps and rail configuration may not be enough...

The geek himself.

5 minutes ago, Lennart van de Merwe said:

Can 450 watts even handle this system?

My overclocked 1700X and overclocked GTX 970 draw about 330W under load. 450W is plenty.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, Lennart van de Merwe said:

Getting the non-modular one doesn't matter right? I know, it's a stupid question.

No

The geek himself.

9 hours ago, Being Delirious said:

Quote from 3 years ago?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

3 minutes ago, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

Quote from 3 years ago?

Mhmmmmm ?

The geek himself.

29 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

Mhmmmmm ?

How did you even find that. Thats just downright amazing.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

10 hours ago, Lennart van de Merwe said:

According to this list http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

An EGHA 450B should be better and in my case also cheaper... Is that true?

No, that list is completely outdated, this is a new model CX

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

38 minutes ago, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

How did you even find that. Thats just downright amazing.

Google search ?

The geek himself.

17 hours ago, Lennart van de Merwe said:

Hi, 

I'm putting together a PC with the following parts:
- i7 2600

- 8 gb ddr3

- Nvidia geforce gtx 970

- some OEM mobo from Medion

- 64 gb ssd

- 1.5 TB hdd

I just need to determine which PSU I'll use. I'm currently thinking about buying a Be Quiet! System Power 8 - 500W. My budget max is 55 euros. Do you guys agree on this choice or not, and if you don' t, please suggest a different psu.

Thanks in advance.

400-500W Pure Power 10 should be in Budget.

FOr a bit more you could get a 450W Bitfenix Formula.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎-‎2‎-‎2018 at 4:34 PM, OrionFOTL said:

Congrats on your purchase. I'm just wondering why you created this thread at all, since you weren't going to listen to advice anyway.

I sure wanted to listen to the advice, but if I wanted to save up for the PSU that you guys suggested to buy new, I'd have had to wait for another two weeks and in that time I really needed to use the PC (School, etc.)

On 2/18/2018 at 7:21 AM, Lennart van de Merwe said:

I got a cooler master 500B (v1) secondhand for 25.-. 

That's too bad.  You paid too much for it.  Not even worth $10.  And if I bought it for $10, I wouldn't use it in a PC.  I'd use it to teach my kid PSU basics and how to solder/desolder parts on a PCB.

http://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=3c1767b253f48bc665e82465083cfaf6&t=413235

2 hours ago, Lennart van de Merwe said:

I sure wanted to listen to the advice, but if I wanted to save up for the PSU that you guys suggested to buy new, I'd have had to wait for another two weeks and in that time I really needed to use the PC (School, etc.)

So you went out and bought one of the worst PSUs you can buy in used condition?  Ok... sure.  

3 hours ago, Lennart van de Merwe said:

well, getting a good PSU means long lifetime for your components. Its like Oil in your car. Using shitty Oil reduces the life of the engine.

And its the same with the components.

Also used PSU are just way too overpriced, that's why you don't buy them used, you get them new because price isn't worth the risk...

But that's not the worst one. That is that you wasted our time. Time wich we could have done so much better things like salvaging a garbage PSU for parts so that those things are useful for something at least.

THAT is the worst one...

So I'd suggest to save money for a new PC; might need it in the future...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

16 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's too bad.  You paid too much for it.  Not even worth $10.  And if I bought it for $10, I wouldn't use it in a PC.  I'd use it to teach my kid PSU basics and how to solder/desolder parts on a PCB.

http://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=3c1767b253f48bc665e82465083cfaf6&t=413235

So you went out and bought one of the worst PSUs you can buy in used condition?  Ok... sure.  

Maybe it was a bad buy, but in comparison to other secondhand and new PSU's I thought it was a good deal. It powers my system just fine and btw this system will probably only be used for about 1 hour a day and I am planning on selling this system so I can buy a new PC with new components only. And also, I'm not the type of person who knows everything about PSU's, I only knew this would do the job for me at a price I could afford it.

16 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

well, getting a good PSU means long lifetime for your components. Its like Oil in your car. Using shitty Oil reduces the life of the engine.

And its the same with the components.

Also used PSU are just way too overpriced, that's why you don't buy them used, you get them new because price isn't worth the risk...

But that's not the worst one. That is that you wasted our time. Time wich we could have done so much better things like salvaging a garbage PSU for parts so that those things are useful for something at least.

THAT is the worst one...

So I'd suggest to save money for a new PC; might need it in the future...

I think you might be exaggerating.