Please help me expose Thermaltake dishonest behavior on PSU RMA issue

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Sorry, but I don't understand why you are flaming Thermaltake for the bad support, when you didn't pay for good support.

I didn't pay for good support? They have the obligation of supporting every product they sell, otherwise they shouldn't be allow to sell it in the first place. I paid not only for a new PSU but the shiping for RMA because they told me they would take care of the cost for shipping back to me. 

The way I see this, you had some fake address in the USA for whatever reason, packet forwarding I assume. When you told this person that you wanted to change your address I'm guessing the person assumed it was somewhere else in the USA or nearby, I don't see anywhere where you explicitly state that you're located outside of the US.

You really can't complain when you first "lie" about your address, and as a result, the contact person misunderstands and agrees. Until I see some proof that you say "Hey I'm not in the US, I want it sent to country x, is that possible?" you're just someone trying to scam Thermaltake.

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, and?!
What is wrong with that statement?!

We don't know the whole truth, only Thermaltake and he know.

As stated above, I worked at RMA for a time and what people do is just appalling...

So in other Words:
I trust @Juan_P988 as far as I can throw him.

Why should I believe him?!

He didn't give me any reason to believe what he's saying!!

So I've got more reasons to believe Thermaltake than Juan...

Sorry to say, but People trying to RMA are either lying in just too many times...

The worst thing I've seen was a PSU the User has totally messed up with - bad custom sleeving, he used an Edding to paint the Transformer black - and send it in for RMA!!
And then he was threatening with a Lawyer...

Do I need to say more?!

You involving your own personal stories does not strengthen your point.
Thermaltake first said that custom cables broke the PSU and that is why they refused to fix it. They then later said nothing was wrong so they refuse to pay shipping. OP got lied to twice.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600Motherboard - Asus Strix B350-F GAMING, RAM -  Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15, GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070Ti, Case - Phanteks Eclipse P400S, Storage - Crucial BX300 240GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5", PSU - Corsair CS650M, OS- Win10 Pro

1 minute ago, Sack said:

The way I see this, you had some fake address in the USA for whatever reason, packet forwarding I assume. When you told this person that you wanted to change your address I'm guessing the person assumed it was somewhere else in the USA or nearby, I don't see anywhere where you explicitly state that you're located outside of the US.

You really can't complain when you first "lie" about your address, and as a result, the contact person misunderstands and agrees. Until I see some proof that you say "Hey I'm not in the US, I want it sent to country x, is that possible?" you're just someone trying to scam Thermaltake.

Why couldn't they have checked the location of the address sent to them before saying they could ship it there?

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600Motherboard - Asus Strix B350-F GAMING, RAM -  Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15, GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070Ti, Case - Phanteks Eclipse P400S, Storage - Crucial BX300 240GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5", PSU - Corsair CS650M, OS- Win10 Pro

1 minute ago, AdoptedAsian said:

Why couldn't they have checked the location of the address sent to them before saying they could ship it there?

Mistakes are made man, I'm going to assume that their policy is that they don't ship to his country for X reason. In addition, they found no faults according to the email he is showing off on twitter. If Thermaltake finds no issues with the PSU then I'm going to assume that he himself is to blame for whatever reason it's not working, why would they pay for sending him back the PSU that there was nothing wrong with?.

@Sack there wasn't a fake address. I registered the RMA claim with my home address, because I work all day there is no one home so I asked them to change it for another address where a relative of mine could receive the PSU. Like I said before, when you fill a RMA claim you have to enter your real information like I did, so They knew from the beginning that I live in another country, the package they receive was sent from my country. They knew.

3 minutes ago, Juan_P988 said:

I didn't pay for good support? They have the obligation of supporting every product they sell, otherwise they shouldn't be allow to sell it in the first place. I paid not only for a new PSU but the shiping for RMA because they told me they would take care of the cost for shipping back to me. 

No, you didn't.

You got the cheapest 500W PSU they had and they don't want to loose too much money on you that's why they make you pay for shipping.

And if they say there isn't anything wrong with the PSU, why should I doubt their statement?!

3 minutes ago, Sack said:

That's also one thing I'd see/assume...

So Juan wasn't completely honest. And now tries to rile us up to flame Thermaltake when _HE_ was the one who didn't mention his whereabouts...

2 minutes ago, AdoptedAsian said:

You involving your own personal stories does not strengthen your point.
Thermaltake first said that custom cables broke the PSU and that is why they refused to fix it. They then later said nothing was wrong so they refuse to pay shipping. OP got lied to twice.

I involve personal experience I had while working at an RMA Department of a Company that did (also) PSU Stuff. That is more than YOU have to offer.

And the custom Cables are also a thing that Juan didn't mention.

And that is also a reason to reject the warranty: customer destroyed the PSU is not something PSU companys accept!

Most will reject claims if they know about it!

So then again, Juan wasn't completely honest with things he's done.

And now trying to rile up a Mob for a Shitstorm at Thermaltake is the worst...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

A good reputation? Apparently not in the industry, as more and more brands are moving away from them.

And they don't produce their own PCBA, IIRC, they're not big enough. 

There's no reason to believe that a Be Quiet designed FSP produced PSU is worse than a PSU built and designed by Seasonic. 

Inferior products tend to cost less. And that's why the Prime series costs so much. Though I have no idea why someone would buy the Prime Gold, as that thing is loud. 

So you're putting a PSU under a light load, and saying that it doesn't show any issues? Then I must assume that you've measured the performance and the protections? The protections aren't there for perfect situations, they're there for when something goes wrong. 

And since you mention efficiency, I assume you've measured that?

And that it's as quiet as it's competitors?

Do you have a source backing up that more and more brands are moving away from Seasonic?

I don´t have the equipment to verify if the PSU is exactly as specified by the manufacturer.  Do you test every PSU you buy with such equipment and verify the claims over long periods of time?

The load currently doesn´t go over 1/3 of the capacity the PSU is rated for and is usually at about 12%.  So I guess you can consider that "low load".  And?  The PSU is basically oversized because you can´t really find anything smaller, and if I should ever come close to what it´s rated for, I´m sure it´ll still deliver.

I never heared this PSU, so it doesn´t get any more quiet, and competitors I could compare it to could only also be silent, or louder.

I have compared the efficiency by looking at the power consumption with another PSU powering the same hardware, and the Seasonic is a bit better --- "a bit" because the power consumption is pretty low already, so even only 10W is a big deal.  Of course, that doesn´t tell you much about actual efficiency, and I don´t have the equipment to measure that.  Do you?

Besides, in the last 40 years, I have had exactly one PSU fail, which was an expensive Enermax which really shouldn´t have failed.  They´d have fixed it under warranty, but because I had moved to another country after buying it, it wasn´t worthwhile because of the shipping costs, so I got a new one and will never buy an Enermax again.

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

And if they say there isn't anything wrong with the PSU, why should I doubt their statement?!

@Stefan Payne You can see here how the contradict themselfs.

https://twitter.com/Thermaltake/status/958067658871705601

https://twitter.com/Thermaltake/status/957049512056512513

So Juan wasn't completely honest. And now tries to rile us up to flame Thermaltake when _HE_ was the one who didn't mention his whereabouts...

Can you prove Im not being honest? I have show proof that thermaltake is not being honest. You can see the whole process in these attachments. 

RMA1.pdf

RMA2.pdf

RMA3.pdf

RMA4.pdf

And the custom Cables are also a thing that Juan didn't mention.

And that is also a reason to reject the warranty: customer destroyed the PSU is not something PSU companys accept!

@Stefan Payne that's the lie I'm talking about, I didn't use any custom cables, I couldn't even possible do it because the PSU is not modular.

Just now, Juan_P988 said:

@Stefan Payne that's the lie I'm talking about, I didn't use any custom cables, I couldn't even possible do it because the PSU is not modular.

Doesn´t it have connectors on its cables you can attach all kinds of cables to?

5 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Do you have a source backing up that more and more brands are moving away from Seasonic?

I don´t have the equipment to verify if the PSU is exactly as specified by the manufacturer.  Do you test every PSU you buy with such equipment and verify the claims over long periods of time?

The load currently doesn´t go over 1/3 of the capacity the PSU is rated for and is usually at about 12%.  So I guess you can consider that "low load".  And?  The PSU is basically oversized because you can´t really find anything smaller, and if I should ever come close to what it´s rated for, I´m sure it´ll still deliver.

I never heared this PSU, so it doesn´t get any more quiet, and competitors I could compare it to could only also be silent, or louder.

I have compared the efficiency by looking at the power consumption with another PSU powering the same hardware, and the Seasonic is a bit better --- "a bit" because the power consumption is pretty low already, so even only 10W is a big deal.  Of course, that doesn´t tell you much about actual efficiency, and I don´t have the equipment to measure that.  Do you?

Besides, in the last 40 years, I have had exactly one PSU fail, which was an expensive Enermax which really shouldn´t have failed.  They´d have fixed it under warranty, but because I had moved to another country after buying it, it wasn´t worthwhile because of the shipping costs, so I got a new one and will never buy an Enermax again.

You have this thing.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/PSUReviewDatabase.html

You'll see that most newer or current models from the major brands tend to not use Seasonic as the OEM. And they're replacing the Seasonic built units with other OEMs. 

I don't have the equipment to test PSUs, and that's not an issue, because I don't claim that me owning a PSU makes me qualified to talk about how good it is. If I were to say something about why the Prime Titanium 650W is good or bad, I'd point then to reviews, for example from Tomshardware. I don't use the anecdote of my PSU not having blown up to prove anything. 

So you're saying that because you can't hear your PSU under a light load, it has no issues with being loud?

Anecdotes trump data?

:)

21 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

I don't see anywhere where you explicitly state that you're located outside of the US.

@Sack every request made throught the RMA plataform starts with your contact information, you can see  it in the attacthment.

21 hours ago, heimdali said:

Doesn´t it have connectors on its cables you can attach all kinds of cables to?

@heimdali I don't know if you can connect some kind of "custom" cables to PSU, I surely don't have the need for other cables and more important I didn't use any other cables besides the ones the PSU have. But in that case, if they found that the PSU was fine how they got that conclusion? why they told me in the first place that the PSU was fine.

21 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

The worst thing I've seen was a PSU the User has totally messed up with - bad custom sleeving, he used an Edding to paint the Transformer black - and send it in for RMA!!
And then he was threatening with a Lawyer...

Do I need to say more?!

@Stefan Payne What's that have to do with my case? That doesn't mean anything and doesn't prove anything. I can say that many people are criminals but, does that make you a criminal? that makes any sense? of course not. What you are saying dosn't mean anything and doesn't prove anything regarding my case. 

RMA1.pdf

4 hours ago, seon123 said:

You have this thing.

You'll see that most newer or current models from the major brands tend to not use Seasonic as the OEM. And they're replacing the Seasonic built units with other OEMs. 

I don't have the equipment to test PSUs, and that's not an issue, because I don't claim that me owning a PSU makes me qualified to talk about how good it is. If I were to say something about why the Prime Titanium 650W is good or bad, I'd point then to reviews, for example from Tomshardware. I don't use the anecdote of my PSU not having blown up to prove anything. 

So you're saying that because you can't hear your PSU under a light load, it has no issues with being loud?

Anecdotes trump data?

(I need to look at that site closer tomorrow ...  So far, it would seem very difficult to come to the conclusion that vendors are moving anywhere because you´d have to look at every PSU listed there in detail and compare that with relevant data over the last 30 years.  Then you need to show that vendors move towards or away from Seasonic for no other reason that the PSUs they make are particularly good or bad.  Can you actually show that?  Who knows what reasons really are behind such business decisions.  Perhaps Seasonic didn´t want to make PSUs as crappy as the vendors wanted, so the vendors got someone else to make them and Seasonic keeps their good reputation.)

Other than that, I see what you mean:  you expect I would just buy any PSU without research and then recommend it. Of course I looked at many reviews and as much information as I could find, and my conclusion was that Seasonic makes good PSUs.  I don´t remember all the sources, so I don´t point to them.  I bought one and am very pleased with it, hence I recommend Seasonic.  If someone wants to buy a PSU, they should do their own research, and finding them recommended here can be taken into consideration.  Reviews, as nice as they can be, can be very misleading, and they go only so far.  And which of the reviews of PSUs have them actually running for at least half a year under real conditions?

Did you ever look at tire tests and reviews and compared them to your own experience?  They´re a good example because they make one of the problems with tests and reviews so obvious:  You can not really say anything about a tire before you have driven a set at least 40000km in all kinds of weather conditions, and whatever you say about that tire may be true only for the particular combination of the car and set of tires.  The greatest tire can be the worst on a different model.  A tire test performed in the ad-hoc manner they´re usually done says basically nothing.  The tires on your car do not stay new as the tires that were tested, you´re likely to have a different size of tire and a different car than were tested.  I even know from my own experience that some of the results the testers produced for a particular tire were wrong.

So what does a review or a test actually tell you?  You don´t really know unless you try something out for yourself, and I appreciate it when I find ppl saying "this works fine for me, so I recommend it".  It tells me as much as a review.

I said: "I never heared this PSU, so it doesn´t get any more quiet, and competitors I could compare it to could only also be silent, or louder."  Why would you think it might have "noise issues"?  The manufacturer already addressed the problem by implementing fan control, and that obviously works.  Other than that, it´s something to look into when making a review, with equipment to measure how loud the fan gets.

Now please do show me a review that tests the reliability and the loudness of PSUs at different ambient temperatures of up to 45C.  I want to see that for at least half a year uptime under a real-world load for each step, starting at 15C, with a stepping of 5 degrees.  You can´t?  Then how the hell am I supposed to pick a PSU?  Maybe by looking at information I can find and at what ppl recommend?

You can ask me in half a year if my Seasonic survived the summer.  I have no doubt it will.  If it doesn´t but the other PSUs do, I promise I will come back and say that Seasonic sucks (even though I´d have it replaced under warranty because it means either unacceptable downtime or using an unacceptably noisy PSU while the replacement is underway, or borrowing one, or buying another one ...).

4 hours ago, Juan_P988 said:

@heimdali I don't know if you can connect some kind of "custom" cables to PSU, I surely don't have the need for other cables and more important I didn't use any other cables besides the ones the PSU have. But in that case, if they found that the PSU was fine how they got that conclusion? why they told me in the first place that the PSU was fine.

Sure you can, I even made some for mine.  Even when you don´t make cables yourself, there are adapters which could be considered "custom" and are sometimes required --- especially when you get the (apparently Chinese) cheap "quality" that will set your computer on fire due to bad design leading to manufacturing defects inevitably causing shorts.

The support might be confused or something, that´s what support usually is.

37 minutes ago, heimdali said:

The support might be confused or something, that´s what support usually is.

I dont't think they are confused, maybe they saw the opportunity not to make a refund or send a replacement and took it. Anyway I hope this thread is useful to some one so they choose better.

3 hours ago, Juan_P988 said:

@Stefan Payne What's that have to do with my case?

It has to do with your case that people who RMA things are dishonest as hell and lie all the time.

It was just one example of shit RMA departments have to deal with on a daily basis...

That doesn't mean anything and doesn't prove anything.

It proves that there are bad people who try to abuse the RMA system of the manufacturers.

And that people do almost anything for that.

I can say that many people are criminals but, does that make you a criminal? that makes any sense? of course not. What you are saying dosn't mean anything and doesn't prove anything regarding my case. 

It proves many things.

Like you still didn't accept that you didn't pay for premium support. You got the cheapest shit Thermaltake has to offer. It might have caused you problems but that doesn't mean it was defective - as Thermaltake stated.

And there are many people who send in PSU that are perfectly fine because the Graphics cards died. Or something other happened...

Buttom line is:
What you are trying to do right now right here is pretty fucked up.

YOU are trying to rile up people for a shitstorm because they want you to pay for shipping for your cheap PSU that was send to another country...

WHY didn't you buy it from a shop inside your country?
Why didn't you send to the shop??

If you did that, you wouldn't have any problems now.

6 hours ago, heimdali said:

I don´t understand why you didn´t buy a PSU (made by Seasonic) in your own country, preferably one from a seller with a good reputation.

I can name 3 SeaSonic products I wouldn't buy.

5 hours ago, heimdali said:

Corsair, EVGA. Two large PSU brands. They haven't released a SeaSonic unit in a very long time. In the industry AFAIK SeaSonic is viewed worse than FSP, Delta and potentially HEC. They don't make PCB in house.

And every unit has some sort of percentage of failure. SeaSonic PRIME, Enermax Platimax, and EVGA G3. All units out of a factory have some chance of failing.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 hours ago, seon123 said:

A good reputation? Apparently not in the industry, as more and more brands are moving away from them.

And they don't produce their own PCBA, IIRC, they're not big enough. 

There's no reason to believe that a Be Quiet designed FSP produced PSU is worse than a PSU built and designed by Seasonic. 

Inferior products tend to cost less. And that's why the Prime series costs so much. Though I have no idea why someone would buy the Prime Gold, as that thing is loud. 

So you're putting a PSU under a light load, and saying that it doesn't show any issues? Then I must assume that you've measured the performance and the protections? The protections aren't there for perfect situations, they're there for when something goes wrong. 

And since you mention efficiency, I assume you've measured that?

And that it's as quiet as it's competitors?

Have any info to back that up? Seasonic has been in the business for a LONG time and has had many experiences with trial and error. You bring up the RMX unit, which as far as I can tell, is no more efficient than the Focus Plus and is only bigger than the Focus Plus, so what exactly makes it better?

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

56 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

It has to do with your case that people who RMA things are dishonest as hell and lie all the time.

@Stefan Payne All the people who RMA things are dishonest and lie all the time? that's a pretty bad generalization,and you can't possible prove that. On the other hand I can prove everything I have said in this thread. I have share those proofs with all you.

Like you still didn't accept that you didn't pay for premium support. You got the cheapest shit Thermaltake has to offer

Premium support? LOL, there is nos such thing. I paid for a product and it failed, Thermaltake and any other company should be resposible for any product they sell and support them in equal manner despite the price, specially if they offer warranty.  

WHY didn't you buy it from a shop inside your country?
Why didn't you send to the shop??

@Stefan Payne Wherever I buy is my business, I'm free to do it any place I want. that doesn't change the fact that Thermaltake offer warranty for their products and they accepted my RMA request knowing that I was located outside US, they made me send them the PSU claiming they would pay for the shipping back.

RMA1.pdf

4 hours ago, SpencerC said:

Have any info to back that up? Seasonic has been in the business for a LONG time and has had many experiences with trial and error. You bring up the RMX unit, which as far as I can tell, is no more efficient than the Focus Plus and is only bigger than the Focus Plus, so what exactly makes it better?

Better electrical performance, quieter fan curve. 

4 hours ago, Juan_P988 said:

@Stefan Payne All the people who RMA things are dishonest and lie all the time? that's a pretty bad generalization,and you can't possible prove that. On the other hand I can prove everything I have said in this thread. I have share those proofs with all you.

Premium support? LOL, there is nos such thing. I paid for a product and it failed, Thermaltake and any other company should be resposible for any product they sell and support them in equal manner despite the price, specially if they offer warranty.  

@Stefan Payne Wherever I buy is my business, I'm free to do it any place I want. that doesn't change the fact that Thermaltake offer warranty for their products and they accepted my RMA request knowing that I was located outside US, they made me send them the PSU claiming they would pay for the shipping back.

RMA1.pdf

They probably are taking a huge loss already by doing this.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

7 hours ago, heimdali said:

(I need to look at that site closer tomorrow ...  So far, it would seem very difficult to come to the conclusion that vendors are moving anywhere because you´d have to look at every PSU listed there in detail and compare that with relevant data over the last 30 years.  Then you need to show that vendors move towards or away from Seasonic for no other reason that the PSUs they make are particularly good or bad.  Can you actually show that?  Who knows what reasons really are behind such business decisions.  Perhaps Seasonic didn´t want to make PSUs as crappy as the vendors wanted, so the vendors got someone else to make them and Seasonic keeps their good reputation.)

Seasonic is a business, as are the companies that sell PSUs. They don't care about ethics the same way consumers do. And Seasonic seems to have no problem continuing selling the S12, M12, Eco, and other not very good PSUs. And delaying their new budget Core series.

Other than that, I see what you mean:  you expect I would just buy any PSU without research and then recommend it. Of course I looked at many reviews and as much information as I could find, and my conclusion was that Seasonic makes good PSUs.  I don´t remember all the sources, so I don´t point to them.  I bought one and am very pleased with it, hence I recommend Seasonic.  If someone wants to buy a PSU, they should do their own research, and finding them recommended here can be taken into consideration.  Reviews, as nice as they can be, can be very misleading, and they go only so far.  And which of the reviews of PSUs have them actually running for at least half a year under real conditions?

If you get a conclusion on a brand basis, you obviously did something wrong. Every brand is equally capable of selling crap. Proper reviews take a look at the internals of the PSU, what components are used, how it's soldered, etc. That, along with the length of the warranty gives a fairly good insight as to how long the PSU will work well.

Did you ever look at tire tests and reviews and compared them to your own experience?  They´re a good example because they make one of the problems with tests and reviews so obvious:  You can not really say anything about a tire before you have driven a set at least 40000km in all kinds of weather conditions, and whatever you say about that tire may be true only for the particular combination of the car and set of tires.  The greatest tire can be the worst on a different model.  A tire test performed in the ad-hoc manner they´re usually done says basically nothing.  The tires on your car do not stay new as the tires that were tested, you´re likely to have a different size of tire and a different car than were tested.  I even know from my own experience that some of the results the testers produced for a particular tire were wrong.

So what does a review or a test actually tell you?  You don´t really know unless you try something out for yourself, and I appreciate it when I find ppl saying "this works fine for me, so I recommend it".  It tells me as much as a review.

What you're saying is that all professional reviews are useless, and that reviews by clueless consumers are useful, because professional reviewers don't test the product for a long time, while consumers do. PSU reviews, like teh ones on Tomshardware test all kinds of stuff, from the regulation, to the ripple, to the transient response etc.

As I have said, Amazon reviews can't tell you if a PSU actually works fine. For all we know, it could be sending 500mV ripple to the components. Because the system could still power on, and the PSU could be killing the components at the same time. And that's why any review that doesn't use a load tester and an oscilloscope is useless.

I said: "I never heared this PSU, so it doesn´t get any more quiet, and competitors I could compare it to could only also be silent, or louder."  Why would you think it might have "noise issues"?  The manufacturer already addressed the problem by implementing fan control, and that obviously works.  Other than that, it´s something to look into when making a review, with equipment to measure how loud the fan gets.

I didn't say it has "noise issues", I said it uses a crappy fan controller. And reviewers often tell what the fan RPM is, and sometimes the noise level.

Now please do show me a review that tests the reliability and the loudness of PSUs at different ambient temperatures of up to 45C.  I want to see that for at least half a year uptime under a real-world load for each step, starting at 15C, with a stepping of 5 degrees.  You can´t?  Then how the hell am I supposed to pick a PSU?  Maybe by looking at information I can find and at what ppl recommend?

You can ask me in half a year if my Seasonic survived the summer.  I have no doubt it will.  If it doesn´t but the other PSUs do, I promise I will come back and say that Seasonic sucks (even though I´d have it replaced under warranty because it means either unacceptable downtime or using an unacceptably noisy PSU while the replacement is underway, or borrowing one, or buying another one ...).

All decent PSUs from any decent brands will run at their max rated temperature (usually 40 or 50C) under a full load for the entirety of their warranty. All PSUs have some failures, and judging a brand by a single anecdote is stupid.

5 hours ago, SpencerC said:

Once again, there's this thing

Lots of OEMs have been in business for a while, that doesn't say anything about how good their products are.

The RMx performs well enough for the performance not to matter to normal consumers, however it's much quieter than the Focus Plus. Most people would use the PSU in a mid tower, so the size isn't really a problem. If it was, then there's also other options, like the G3 (but that thing is really loud in the higher wattage models).

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database

:)

And don't forget the Silverstone Strider Platinum ones.

Those are pretty good too. And pretty underrated, sadly.

12 hours ago, Juan_P988 said:

I purchased this power supply, Smart series 500W

I read your full post. That sucks. It's a pity that such a big company does that.

12 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

The problem is you bought a crap PSU at the first place without asking for advice and then complain why it didn't work. 

Oh mate. You really got it wrong. It doesn't matter what product he bought, it matters that the company he bought the product from doesn't want to change/refund a faulty product.

11 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

I worked in RMA of a PSU selling company for a couple of weeks and what I've seen there was really amazing - in terms of what people are doing to "get free stuff".

Looks like you worked for nothing and those weeks were for nothing. Well at least they taught you that all the persons that do RMA are liars. Not saying that there aren't many people that are trying to "get free stuff" but OP came with proof, so aren't you considering it?

11 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Sorry, but I don't understand why you are flaming Thermaltake for the bad support, when you didn't pay for good support.

There is no thing as paying for bad or good support. At the end of the day it's support and should feel like one. I would love to see you in similar situation to see how you're flaming then.

Overall that's a very bad case of handling this issue from a big company that could afford to make this process as easy as possible. But they didn't, they cheaped out. Not good thermaltake, not good.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

Did you confirm the PSU was actually defective before you sent it? It doesn't sound like a Power Supply problem - more like a motherboard issue. Best thing you can do to move on is bite the bullet and pay for shipping back.

From Thermaltake's point of view it just seems like you are wasting their time. I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't want to pay shipping. The warranty almost surely doesn't cover it.

2 hours ago, r3loAded said:

I read your full post. That sucks. It's a pity that such a big company does that.

Oh mate. You really got it wrong. It doesn't matter what product he bought, it matters that the company he bought the product from doesn't want to change/refund a faulty product.

Looks like you worked for nothing and those weeks were for nothing. Well at least they taught you that all the persons that do RMA are liars. Not saying that there aren't many people that are trying to "get free stuff" but OP came with proof, so aren't you considering it?

There is no thing as paying for bad or good support. At the end of the day it's support and should feel like one. I would love to see you in similar situation to see how you're flaming then.

Overall that's a very bad case of handling this issue from a big company that could afford to make this process as easy as possible. But they didn't, they cheaped out. Not good thermaltake, not good.

I've looked at the messages. It was pretty good support for an inexpensive product. They didn't really lie.

4 hours ago, r3loAded said:

I agree with what @RorzNZ says. From the looks of things, the motherboard could have been playing a part in this as well.

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5