Buddies power supply bad?

Just curious but my buddy is having computer issues and I was looking at his voltages and comparing them to one of my brand new power supplies. His 12v rail is running 13.6 and his 5v is 5.8. That are also slightly jumpy... very slightly but still. Comparing to my new one with voltages stay flat line perfect. Normal or bad is my question?

YES! EXTREMELY BAD

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, Shadow_Storm56 said:

What do I do?

Change it, as soon as possible. Unless I'm having a brain fart right now, that's outside of ATX spec, which I consider to be a minimum for all PSUs. 

If you are in the US, there's a sale for the CX450 for $21 right now.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

17 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Just curious but my buddy is having computer issues and I was looking at his voltages and comparing them to one of my brand new power supplies. His 12v rail is running 13.6 and his 5v is 5.8. That are also slightly jumpy... very slightly but still. Comparing to my new one with voltages stay flat line perfect. Normal or bad is my question?

What PSU are you talking about??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Where are you getting these readings and also what is the power supply?

7 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Software Readings or Multimeter?

If Multimeter: Pray.

If Software: Get Multimeter

Aids 64

29 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

It's  a 600w evga psu

EVGA's PSU Warranty page Hope this helps. If paranoid, disconnect and get one to tide him over until he can get it replaced.. never hurts to have a spare PSU around for testing or failure replacement. 

Since his PC has AIDS, get a multimeter.

Also, EVGA makes 32^7 different PSU lines.  Which one are we talking about here?

18 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Since his PC has AIDS, get a multimeter.

Also, EVGA makes 32^7 different PSU lines.  Which one are we talking about here?

They make at least 1013 80+ Bronze lines. Get your facts straight xD /s

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

38 minutes ago, JDE said:

They make at least 1013 80+ Bronze lines. Get your facts straight xD /s

I have a psu tester that will tell me the voltages direct off the PSU. My question is if the software is correct and it really is this high of voltages in both computers with the psu that both have issues then is it a bad psu? like the one spikes to 13.8v when the cpu is under load. seems really bad to me 

1 hour ago, Mackay42 said:

EVGA's PSU Warranty page Hope this helps. If paranoid, disconnect and get one to tide him over until he can get it replaced.. never hurts to have a spare PSU around for testing or failure replacement. 

Yea I think it's bad. His graphics card he thought had died and I tried everything to get it to work with no luck. Tested if on my pc which has the correct voltages and it runs perfect. 2 psus that are identical both having the same issue makes me think power surge or brown out maybe. 

46 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

if the software is correct

Probably not.

That's why many people here are telling you to double check with a multimeter.

That +5V and +12V is out of spec is rather improbable, especially on a group regulated unit.

So get a Multimeter and measure for yourself...

Don't RMA before you do because you can't know if the PSU is OK or not.

2 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Yea I think it's bad.

I don't because Software can (and will) read bullshit...

You don't know where on the Board it is measured, you don't know the offsets. It's not calibrated...

And the PSU Tester you are talking about is also bullshit because its not loaded. Some PSU can't regulate until there is at least a couple of watt load on it...

9 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

I don't because Software can (and will) read bullshit...

You don't know where on the Board it is measured, you don't know the offsets. It's not calibrated...

And the PSU Tester you are talking about is also bullshit because its not loaded. Some PSU can't regulate until there is at least a couple of watt load on it...

Hmm..... well whatever it is both computers have major issues.... this is the only thing I can see that sands out.

10 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Yea I think it's bad. His graphics card he thought had died and I tried everything to get it to work with no luck. Tested if on my pc which has the correct voltages and it runs perfect. 2 psus that are identical both having the same issue makes me think power surge or brown out maybe. 

Glad it's not the video card. I would definitely get that PSU out of the system before it decides if its going down' its going to take other components with it.