Does AMD FreeSync Work with nvidia gpu's?

abccool2020

So I am interested in buying this monitor (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P06WD7808&cm_re=1440p_freesync-_-24-009-769-_-Product or )  because both of them have great value (It's 144hz, and it has free sync). I have a gtx 1060 right now and will upgrade to 1080 in the future. My question is, will free-sync stop screen tearing even if I have a nvida graphics card? (Because AMD and nvida

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Nope, you have to pay the Nvidia premium for that G-Sync.

I wish Nvidia would not charge such a big royalty fee

1 minute ago, abccool2020 said:

I wish Nvidia would not charge such a big royalty fee

I wish they would just suck it up and adopt FreeSync or AdaptiveSync like AMD and Intel have, rather than insisting on using a proprietary technology. Adaptive refresh rates is such a good technology, but Nvidia is kind of holding it back by refusing to adopt open standards. 

But yeah, FreeSync will not work with Nvidia GPUs, but the monitor will still function fine, just without adaptive refresh rates. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

suck it up and adopt FreeSync or AdaptiveSync like AMD and Intel have

but.. freesync's AMD's technology made to compete with Gsync.. its not because AMD calls it an open technology that its suddenly some free for all peace corporation technology.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

I wish they would just suck it up and adopt FreeSync or AdaptiveSync like AMD and Intel have, rather than insisting on using a proprietary technology. Adaptive refresh rates is such a good technology, but Nvidia is kind of holding it back by refusing to adopt open standards. 

But yeah, FreeSync will not work with Nvidia GPUs, but the monitor will still function fine, just without adaptive refresh rates. 

Has Intel officially adopted it yet? I know they promised to, but haven't heard about it actually getting implemented.

Just now, manikyath said:

but.. freesync's AMD's technology made to compete with Gsync.. its not because AMD calls it an open technology that its suddenly some free for all peace corporation technology.

Technically it's (mostly) Adaptive-Sync, which is part of the DisplayPort standard. Intel would just need to make their version of Freesync in their GPUs and drivers, then it would work with any display that supports Adaptive-Sync (=the ones that advertise Freesync support).

You might be missing certain proprietary features like LFC and Freesync over HDMI. But the core functionality is available.

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

AMD didn't really create FreeSync, at least, not from the ground up. It's based off Adaptive sync, which VESA added in the 1.2a DisplayPort standard. AMD just built on it, but it's based off open technology that anyone can implement if they so choose to. I believe AMD has also said that they would allow Nvidia to use FreeSync. 

AMD basically adapted Adaptive Sync slightly, called it FreeSync and did some marketing, but it's not really AMD's technology, it's VESA's.

8 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Has Intel officially adopted it yet? I know they promised to, but haven't heard about it actually getting implemented.

I believe some Intel SKUs support AdaptiveSync (or FreeSync, I can't remember which) though it's definitely not all of them. 

3 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Technically it's (mostly) Adaptive-Sync, which is part of the DisplayPort standard. Intel would just need to make their version of Freesync in their GPUs and drivers, then it would work with any display that supports Adaptive-Sync (=the ones that advertise Freesync support).

You might be missing certain proprietary features like LFC and Freesync over HDMI. But the core functionality is available.

i fear its gonna take a VESA standardised middle finger up some corporate noses on all 3 sides (and a new version of the displayport standard?) to make everything talk to everything about their maximum refresh rate, minimum refresh rate, and make them adapt as needed.

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

AMD didn't really create FreeSync, at least, not from the ground up. It's based off Adaptive sync, which VESA added in the 1.2a DisplayPort standard. AMD just built on it, but it's based off entirely open technology that anyone can implement if they so choose to. I believe AMD has also said that they would allow Nvidia to use FreeSync. 

we all want muffins, there is a standard for what a muffin is.

you create a muffin thats better than the standard and with satisfaction call it your own, and it sells well.

i create a muffin thats more based on the standard, but flavour-wise on par with yours. I decide to openly share my recipe for everyone to use, so everyone can sell the same muffin, also selling those muffins very well.

would you ditch your own muffin recipe for that of your competition, in turn also having to abandon the legacy your muffins have made?

I have FreeSync but i wonder why Gsync is that much more expensive although it´s basically the same.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

we all want muffins, there is a standard for what a muffin is.

you create a muffin thats better than the standard and with satisfaction call it your own, and it sells well.

i create a muffin thats more based on the standard, but flavour-wise on par with yours. I decide to openly share my recipe for everyone to use, so everyone can sell the same muffin, also selling those muffins very well.

would you ditch your own muffin recipe for that of your competition, in turn also having to abandon the legacy your muffins have made?

Interesting analogy. I agree with you there, I completely understand why Nvidia doesn't adopt it, never said they should, just that I wish they would as it would end up being better for consumers. There's plenty of things I wish companies would do that would be good for consumers, but wouldn't be good business decisions. I wish they would, but that doesn't mean I think they should do it, or don't understand why they don't.

AMD is probably fully aware that Nvidia won't adopt FreeSync, but saying they'd be fine with it benefits them as it makes them be seen as the consumer friendly company that's all about open tech and improving technology. I'd bet them saying that was a calculated business move, not just them being nice. 

5 minutes ago, Paddi01 said:

I have FreeSync but i wonder why Gsync is that much more expensive although it´s basically the same.

GSync uses a dedicated module in order to function, while FreeSync just uses the technology in the DisplayPort interface. You're not just paying for the module though, you're also just paying more because Nvidia marks up the price more on it anyway. 

29 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

GSync uses a dedicated module in order to function, while FreeSync just uses the technology in the DisplayPort interface. You're not just paying for the module though, you're also just paying more because Nvidia marks up the price more on it anyway. 

But there´s no difference in terms of quality or how it works?

Just now, Paddi01 said:

But there´s no difference in terms of quality or how it works?

From what I've seen, there's no significant difference between them in terms of experience with them and they work in fundamentally the same way. I can't say for sure though, as I've only used GSync, I haven't had the chance to use FreeSync, but GSync makes a massive difference, enough that I won't go back to not using adaptive refresh rates. 

In person, I find it hard to tell the difference.

Kind of depends on what GPU you have or if you already have it.

9 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

this module is more of a hardware DRM than it is actually required to do its work.

They probably also vastly overbuild the module just to justify the huge markup they are charging on standard technology.