Why in hell are EarPods so expensive??!!

DanielMDA

My sister loves Apple. I love Windows/Android. Alongside her iPhone 7 Plus she used the EarPods that came with it. She broke them.

Sooo, we had to buy her a new pair, because she likes the form factor, for the ear. And we go to the Apple Store in Mexico, and I wanted to throw up when they told me the proce of those crappy earphones. $699 MXN or around $34.99 US. WTF??!! Those are crappy earphones, they have low sound quality, endurance, the cable looks like it will break at any time, and they are 35 bucks!!! With $35 you an grab yourself an entry level Bose headset, a Sennheisser 202/205 II pair of cans or for earbuds, some AKG Y-Series Earbuds, such as the Y20/Y23. The price is sooo stupid. They should be 15-20 bucks at most. Also, we bought the 3.5mm variant for the sake of versatility, meaning we had to but the DAC dongle thing, which is 16-bit, looks like it will break and it was 10 bucks! WTF! Its an F ing dongle, it should be half the price.

Apple prices dongles and essential accessories on a stupid level. I had to let out my anger.

NOTE: EarPods, the crappy ones that come in the box NOT AirPods, the stupid, easy to break, dumb looking true wireless ones (those are like 150-200 bucks)

Just now, Max_Settings said:

1. They are true wireless

2. Apple

3. Apple

4. Apple

5. Hype

EarPods NOT Air Pods, the EarPods are the standard ones that come in the box.

That is Apple for you. 5 dollar earphones sound better than the apple earbuds.

Should have gotten her a decent headset for that price. I was a lot like that a couple of years ago, but I started getting into Audiophlle stuff. Never have looked back since.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

5 minutes ago, DrDerp said:

Should have gotten her a decent headset for that price. I was a lot like that a couple of years ago, but I started getting into Audiophlle stuff. Never have looked back since.

She wanted those, I told her that those were stupid, but she said she likes them because of the form factor, and told me she doesnt want anything else. Little brat even told me that if I gave her another pair instead of the EarPods she would gift them, break them or resell them.

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thats how Apple makes their money. They build up brand and you have to pay to keep up with the brand.

I really would like some Third Party dongles... something that actually justifies 10 dollars for a literal connector.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

Just now, DanielMDA said:

She wanted those, I told her that those were stupid, but she said she likes them because of the form factor, and told me she doesnt want anything else. Little brat even told me that if I gave her another pair instead of the EarPods she would gift them or break them.

Would have told her that she’s SOL or just gotten her a cheap pair instead.

2 minutes ago, DrDerp said:

I wanted to get her the Y20/Y23 from AKG or one of those pair of earbuds that phisically adjust to the internal form of your ear.

3 minutes ago, DrDerp said:

Whats SOL?

Just now, DanielMDA said:

Whats SOL?

S*** outta luck.

you only use earpods because you have nothing else and because it came with your phone. :P

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, DanielMDA said:

I agree...

personally they sound alright

like $10 alright

but not $49.99 alright.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

like $10 alright

but not $49.99 alright.

This.

I finally am getting into audio and spent 200 dollars on a DAC and Headphones.

Never looking back.

(except for that I shoulda bought PC parts with that’s money...)

Just now, themctipers said:

like $10 alright

but not $49.99 alright.

$34.99 in Mexico. She could have got a Sennheisser 202 II , 205 II. An AKG Y20 or Y23 or an entry level BOSE. I was willing to buy her a mid or high end headset, and she went for that sh*t

Nah, Id wait for Nvidia 11/20 Series or AMDs RX 600 Series. New graphics Gen is needed

19 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

EarPods NOT Air Pods, the EarPods are the standard ones that come in the box.

Air Pods retail for 169 pounds, which is something along the lines of 200USD don't worry!

6 minutes ago, themctipers said:

like $10 alright

but not $49.99 alright.

But... But Apple said that they provide PREMIUM sound quality! They are worth whatever price they ask!

EDIT: For the sake of clarity: please do detect sarcasm. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Just now, Max_Settings said:

4. Apple

This point is the most obvious but I'd also like to say point 2 and 3 are also very valid

PC Editing / Gaming Rig Specs : i7-3930k @ 4ghz w/ Hyper 212 Evo | 840 Evo 250gb and Seagate 1TB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Zotac GTX 780 | Corsair Vengeance C70 Green | OS: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Win10 #KilledMyWife #MakeBombs

because they're the best non-plugs you can find in a store on this side of the globe, and they are actually pretty welll made.

besides, that way overkill carrying box they come in.. thats part of the price as well xD

not saying they're a good value, i'm saying that if you dont want plugs, and if you dont want to buy from china/ebay/amazon, you'll have a hard time finding something that matches.

earpods = $5

apple logo = $30

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

That's about two times the price they are here.. Have you considered that people that are importing tech to your country are scamming you??? :P 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

because they're the best non-plugs you can find in a store on this side of the globe, and they are actually pretty welll made.

besides, that way overkill carrying box they come in.. thats part of the price as well xD

not saying they're a good value, i'm saying that if you dont want plugs, and if you dont want to buy from china/ebay/amazon, you'll have a hard time finding something that matches.

Yo, Im talking about the EarPods, NOT the AirPods, please read first before sending a comment, it makes one look dumb, specially if you have 20K+ posts.