Hard Drive Help - Please Hurry!

Vertikull
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

You bought a SAS drive. There are definitely SAS to SATA adapters out there, just search around.

sas.jpg

Please help. I bought a Hard drive but right in between the sata data and sata power input plug there is a plastic tab the basically makes the data and power input one plug. Is there any adapter out there? I need this pretty quick.

Case: FN POP XL

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K

CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S36 360mm AIO

Mobo: 

GPU: Geforce RTX 3090 Founders

RAM: Corsair Vengence 128gb

PSU: Focus 1000w

SSD: Sansdiskssd240gb

HDD: Hitachi 2TB

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon 

------------------------------------------

Main PC Games

- Destiny 2
- Warzone
- Outriders

Just now, Vertikull said:

Please help. I bought a Hard drive but right in between the sata data and sata power input plug there is a plastic tab the basically makes the data and power input one plug. Is there any adapter out there? I need this pretty quick.

Picture? Can't you just plug stuff in as normal?

I edit my posts a lot.

Can't you take out/off that tab? I don't fully get what you're saying, a picture, as asked before, will help out a ton.

Or a model number of the HDD.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

9 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You bought a SAS drive. There are definitely SAS to SATA adapters out there, just search around.

sas.jpg

OMG. Thanks you so much. 

Mobo: 

Main PC Games

- Destiny 2
- Warzone
- Outriders

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

my first question is how you could have accidentially bought a SAS drive.

Hard to call myself a computer nerd after this but I actually have never heard of a SAS drive before. xD

Mobo: 

Main PC Games

- Destiny 2
- Warzone
- Outriders

7 minutes ago, Vertikull said:

Hard to call myself a computer nerd after this but I actually have never heard of a SAS drive before. xD

You can still call yourself a computer nerd, until now I was only ever vaguely aware of the fact that SAS existed.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

28 minutes ago, Lurick said:

sas.jpg

SAS controllers work with SATA drives, but not the other way around, SAS drives do not work with SATA controllers.

What OP needs to use his drive is a SAS controller (SAS is server grade, hence drives and controllers are expensive).

I would say that OPs best option is to return his SAS drive and get a SATA drive instead.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

23 minutes ago, manikyath said:

my first question is how you could have accidentially bought a SAS drive.

Very carefully...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, oskarha said:

SAS controllers work with SATA drives, but not the other way around, SAS drives do not work with SATA controllers.

What OP needs to use his drive is a SAS controller (SAS is server grade, hence drives and controllers are expensive).

I would say that OPs best option is to return his SAS drive and get a SATA drive instead.

Good catch, I forgot about the controller part.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Good catch, I forgot about the controller part.

Yup, adapters exist, but they don't work (with inappropriate controllers and drives that is, some boards (eg. P6T Deluxe) actually have SAS controllers with SATA plugs).

I actually own two "SAS" to SATA adapters, I use them with my testbench so that I can quickly hot swap drives (one plug for both power and data is pretty handy).

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64