Delete

Max_Settings

Very detailed review!

I have a pair of hd 650s that I got several years ago, which is supposed to sound similar to the 6xx.

If true, then I agree with most of what you said.

5 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Very detailed review!

I have a pair of hd 650s that I got several years ago, which is supposed to sound similar to the 6xx.

If true, then I agree with most of what you said.

Yes the HD650s are supposed to be identical to the HD6XXs. Thanks for the feedback!

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

Holy crap. I just tried Luminol on my K7xx and nothing has ever made its bass sound better

Yes that’s an amazing track. It’s long but I recommend listening to the whole thing.

K7xx are godly for gaming for anyone that doesn't know. They are more detailed and have more low bass than 6xx making them great gaming pairs. I really like them for music too, especially rap and hiphop. The bass is nice and the beat is always good with the amazing intricacy. They kinda sound like HyperX Clouds with less midbass and a type of "cloud" removed (like my pun?), which makes you notice more in your music.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Yes that’s an amazing track. It’s long but I recommend listening to the whole thing.

I am not really a fan of it, but I can tell why it's used for testing.

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

K7xx are godly for gaming for anyone that doesn't know. They are more detailed and have more low bass than 6xx making them great gaming pairs. I really like them for music too, especially rap and hiphop. The bass is nice and the beat is always good with the amazing intricacy. They kinda sound like HyperX Clouds with less midbass and a type of "cloud" removed (like my pun?), which makes you notice more in your music.

I am not really a fan of it, but I can tell why it's used for testing.

Yes absolutely an amazing gaming headphone. Like I mentioned in the review the K7XX is my reccomended $200 gaming headphone just because the T50RPs are too hard to drive for most people. 

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Yes absolutely an amazing gaming headphone. Like I mentioned in the review the K7XX is my reccomended $200 gaming headphone just because the T50RPs are too hard to drive for most people. 

agreed.

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I used to only listen to trashy EDM but I like pop rock, rap, and hip hop way more. Only EDM I still enjoy is calvin harris type nu disco and house. Anyways, i toook a listen to some EDM and it sounds great on my k7xx

Wow, pretty lengthy, well thought out and well written review there, bud!:o  Wish I could get off my lazy butt to write reviews like this one, but danggit, I can't seem to shake this lazy rut I'm in.:S Yes, agree that different cans have different usage scenarios, but you forgot that it also depends on moods, like being in an analytical frame of mind, or wanting something that sounds more dynamic, etc......that explains my various cans.:D 

The thing about the Fostex T50RP's is that a change of earpads is a must, no way around it as the stock earpads are just simply crap.....uncomfortable, hot and they make the sound from the drivers, which are pressed right against your ears, sound like dog poo. When I'd swapped out the stock pads with the Alpha Pads, man, what a revelation it was! The harsh treble gave way to a more laid back one, treble wasn't at all hot and the quality of the treble improved (much to my surprise). Bass had a more controlled present and didn't sound boomy at all. From that day on, I became a firm believer in the difference earpads made to sound. In fact, the Alpha Pads on my T50RP + Mayflower mod kit made it sound pretty close to the Alpha Dog I had then, I decided to sell the Alpha Dog and keep the modded T50RP.

Been A/B'ing my HD6XX and the HE4XX, I can say the HE4XX has more (not necessarily 'better') mid bass slam (at least I think it's mid bass) and a somewhat hotter treble. Now, I don't mind sparkly treble, but there's a certain harshness to the treble of the HE4XX that irritates me ever so slightly though I can't explain why....heck, the treble on my DT990 Premium doesn't faze me one bit, but the HE4XX does. Strange, perhaps it's the quality of the treble (if there is such a thing). The HD6XX is, overall, the better (or, should I say 'more balanced') between the two. Just letting you know my thoughts between the two.

Again, very good review of the the cans!B|

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

11 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Wow, pretty lengthy, well thought out and well written review there, bud!:o  Wish I could get off my lazy butt to write reviews like this one, but danggit, I can't seem to shake this lazy rut I'm in.:S Yes, agree that different cans have different usage scenarios, but you forgot that it also depends on moods, like being in an analytical frame of mind, or wanting something that sounds more dynamic, etc......that explains my various cans.:D 

The thing about the Fostex T50RP's is that a change of earpads is a must, no way around it as the stock earpads are just simply crap.....uncomfortable, hot and they make the sound from the drivers, which are pressed right against your ears, sound like dog poo. When I'd swapped out the stock pads with the Alpha Pads, man, what a revelation it was! The harsh treble gave way to a more laid back one, treble wasn't at all hot and the quality of the treble improved (much to my surprise). Bass had a more controlled present and didn't sound boomy at all. From that day on, I became a firm believer in the difference earpads made to sound. In fact, the Alpha Pads on my T50RP + Mayflower mod kit made it sound pretty close to the Alpha Dog, hence my decision to sell the Alpha Dog and keep the modded T50RP.

Been A/B'ing my HD6XX and the HE4XX, I can say the HE4XX has more (not necessarily 'better') mid bass slam (at least I think it's mid bass) and a somewhat hotter treble. Now, I don't mind sparkly treble, but there's a certain harshness to the treble of the HE4XX that irritates me ever so slightly though I can't explain why....heck, the treble on my DT990 Premium doesn't faze me one bit, but the HE4XX does. Strange, perhaps it's the quality of the treble (if there is such a thing). The HD6XX is, overall, the better (or, should I say 'more balanced') between the two. Just letting you know my thoughts between the two.

Again, very good review of the the cans!B|

Thanks for the feedback man, really appreciate it, especially from someone with as much audio experience as you. I’ve been wanting to try a pair of 4XXs, but I’ve got to save up for some hifi stuff. Really want to get some Aeon Flow Cs, Ether Flow Cs, or Edition Xs, haven’t decided. Really would die for a pair of STAX L700, but I have to buy an electrofier...and at that point I also need a better DAC xD

I’ve order the Mayflower mod and can’t wait to see what it does. Do you have the MK2 or MK3 T50s?

9 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

I used to only listen to trashy EDM but I like pop rock, rap, and hip hop way more. Only EDM I still enjoy is calvin harris type nu disco and house. Anyways, i toook a listen to some EDM and it sounds great on my k7xx

Yep those headphones can put out good amounts of low end. I don’t hate EDM and rap in the 6XXs, but since I have the options I use the T50s for the low end.

11 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Thanks for the feedback man, really appreciate it, especially from someone with as much audio experience as you. I’ve been wanting to try a pair of 4XXs, but I’ve got to save up for some hifi stuff. Really want to get some Aeon Flow Ca, Ether Flow Cs, or Edition Xs, haven’t decided. Really would die for a pair of STAX L700, but I have to buy an electrofier...and at that point I also need a better DAC xD

I’ve order the Mayflower mod and can’t wait to see what it does. Do you have the MK2 or MK3 T50s?

Yeah, I'm pretty much dying to try a higher end electrostatic can and was, at first, pretty excited about the MrSpeakers VOCE at 3000USD (more like 3300USD in my neck of the woods), but it doesn't come with an amp/energizer, so I'd have to drop an additional 1k-1.5k USD for one.....needless to say, my interest waned.

I believe mine is the Mk 2......not sure at all. Bought it used for about 75USD, plus the MayFlower kit + Alpha Pads, cost me about 150-155USD in all.

7H2mKE3.jpg

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

5 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Yeah, I'm pretty much dying to try a higher end electrostatic can and was, at first, pretty excited about the MrSpeakers VOCE at 3000USD (more like 3300USD in my neck of the woods), but it doesn't come with an amp/energizer, so I'd have to drop an additional 1k-1.5k USD for one.....needless to say, my interest waned.

I believe mine is the Mk 2......not sure at all. Bought it used for about 75USD, plus the MAyFlower kit + Alpha Pads, cost me about 150-155USD in all.

7H2mKE3.jpg

Yep you have the MK2, that’s why they probably sounded like the Alpha dogs. The MK3s have different drivers. And Mr. Speakers stopped making the Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs when the MK3s came out.

If you look at my pictures you can see the differences in the design.

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Yep you have the MK2, that’s why they probably sounded like the Alpha dogs. The MK3s have different drivers. And Mr. Speakers stopped making the Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs when the MK3s game out.

If you look at my pictures you can see the differences in the design.

Oh, I know that, what I wasn't sure about is whether mine's the Mk 2 or Mk 1 (IF there's a Mk 1 at all). I hate the stock cable though, been toying with the idea of getting some custom ones.....I've heard the V-Moda cable can be used, but I want something better. Any idea/recommendation?

1 minute ago, GamerDude said:

Oh, I know that, what I wasn't sure about is whether mine's the Mk 2 or Mk 1 (IF there's a Mk 1 at all). I hate the stock cable though, been toying with the idea of getting some custom ones.....

I haven’t been able to find out what the MK1 looks like. It apparently came out in the late 80s and I think it was never sold outside of Japan. If you hate the stock try the Vmoda cable. It’s 6ft, braided, Kevlar reinforced, with a 45 degree connector, and it’s pretty light. If you want to spend a bit more, check out Periapt cables I linked above. You can get a nice 90 degree one there in a variety of colors.

18 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Oh, I know that, what I wasn't sure about is whether mine's the Mk 2 or Mk 1 (IF there's a Mk 1 at all). I hate the stock cable though, been toying with the idea of getting some custom ones.....I've heard the V-Moda cable can be used, but I want something better. Any idea/recommendation?

Here's an example of one with the balanced cable I have with my 6XXs. I actually really like the quality. And the split is a custom 3D printed piece that is cool. And the other thing I like is the piece of paper they send you that's hand written that tells you the cable type, the initals of who made it, the date made, the headphones tested with, the song tested with, and the amp tested on. I think that's so cool.

IMG_0497.thumb.JPG.dc7d31fd32be31700227faa8f7e3355e.JPG

IMG_0498.thumb.JPG.1a0bc391015430350744fbee10dd9fae.JPG

IMG_0499.thumb.JPG.121dec355536d1c93cf4a5061a55538f.JPG

IMG_0500.thumb.JPG.dd157e3213d7333d37f513476333d3a0.JPG

IMG_0501.thumb.JPG.b430658a74b96c7fd8ccc537f6aa3a50.JPG

Also totally replacing the stock Mr. Speakers cable with a Periapt one if I end up getting a set xD

Nice balanced cable! I'd gotten mine from a local seller, cable used is Morgami I believe, braided and plugs are supposed to be better quality as well, amp end plug is a 4pin Neutrik connector. It didn't cost me that much, just 45USD!:x The cable is a tad stiff due to the braid, but isn't as bad as the really stiff HE1000 cable. I was using a male 6.3mm to 4 pin XLR (female) adapter as I was using my iFi Micro iDSD BL DAC combo (background on the left) at the time this pic was taken.

tNoCwRu.jpg

3 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Nice balanced cable! I'd gotten mine from a local seller, cable used is Morgami I believe, braided and plugs are supposed to be better quality as well, amp end plug is a 4pin Neutrik connector. It didn't cost me that much, just 45USD!:x The cable is a tad stiff due to the braid, but isn't as bad as the really stiff HE1000 cable. I was using a male 6.3mm to 4 pin XLR (female) adapter as I was using my iFi Micro iDSD BL DAC combo (background on the left) at the time this pic was taken.

Ah I see, that one looks neat also I like how the connectors look, it also looks a fair bit thinner than mine. Mine isn't stiff though so that's good probably higher grade sleeving. And the XLR connector doesn't really bother me, Neutrik and Amphenol both make fantastic connectors. Still though that's a really good deal for $45. I payed about $75 for mine, but it's a 7ft. Yours doesn't look quite that long to me. Is that a 4 or 5ft?

Anyway if you ever want to give Periapt a shot you should, they are very nice. Also they'll make just about anything for you if you ask them to. I already asked them if they'd make a Mr. Speakers cable or a 2.5mm balanced cable for these 6XXs in a custom length and they told me that even though it costs them a little more they don't care at all as long as it makes the customer happy. Also they said they were going to put Mr. Speakers cables on their site soon but the only issue they were having was where to get the connectors besides buying them right from Mr. Speakers. They said they were currently working out a deal with the manufacturer of the connectors to buy them direct.

How well do these braided headphone cables resist kinking? My Sony MDR7510 with their coiled 1980s telephone cord becomes a birds' nest. My straight rubberized cables on my two older HD5xx cans are ~6 feet (?!) long and can twist up.

This was a top-tier review. Great content. Thanks, eh.

1 minute ago, PrometheanCat2 said:

How well do these braided headphone cables resist kinking? My Sony MDR7510 with their coiled 1980s telephone cord becomes a birds' nest. My straight rubberized cables on my two older HD5xx cans are ~6 feet (?!) long and can twist up.

This was a top-tier review. Great content. Thanks, eh.

Which one? The Periapt or the Vmoda? Neither of mine kink that bad if at all. The Vmoda is super thing and light so it moves easily and straightens out nicely. The Periapt has a little heft and is straight as a nail, it doesn't kink at all.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Which one? The Periapt or the Vmoda? Neither of mine kink that bad if at all. The Vmoda is super thing and light so it moves easily and straightens out nicely. The Periapt has a little heft and is straight as a nail, it doesn't kink at all.

...more a generalized question about braided insulation versus a solid plastic sleeve. Our first rental apartment back in 1990s Vancouver had braided CLOTH insulation on the 115V wires in the walls. I know. I know. It's 2018 for Gods' sake.  And if I'm pumping that kind of amperage through my can wires, woe's me. Regardless, good to see cable-build quality's improved, eh.

I remember buying an HDMI cable from my local EB Games (supposed premium) and the braided covering de-laminated and shorted out.

Just shooting the shit... Cheers.

Actually I have a length of French Silk cable I'd gotten a while back, totally forgot about it as it has the Audeze connector (sold my LCD2.2 nF a long time back), it does have the Audeze to HFM SMC adapters (but, IIRC, one side was faulty). these do NOT feel like cables at all! It's soft and pliant, like a length of soft and thin rope. It's in my storeroom somewhere, gonna roll up my imaginary sleeves and scour my storeroom for it. I think I'll have the plugs converted to SMC connectors for my Denon and older HFM cans, no need to go balanced as they 1/4" plug is of pretty good quality IIRC.

5 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Actually I have a length of French Silk cable I'd gotten a while back, totally forgot about it as it has the Audeze connector (sold my LCD2.2 nF a long time back), it does have the Audeze to HFM SMC adapters (but, IIRC, one side was faulty). these do NOT feel like cables at all! It's soft and pliant, like a length of soft and thin rope. It's in my storeroom somewhere, gonna roll up my imaginary sleeves and scour my storeroom for it. I think I'll have the plugs converted to SMC connectors for my Denon and older HFM cans, no need to go balanced as they 1/4" plug is of pretty good quality IIRC.

Cool. Not all headphones need to be run balanced. I would if you could because no harm, but not needed. But IMO HD6XXs greatly improve by being ran balanced. I think it's 100% worth the investment, which is why I went with the Amp I did.