How The Hell Do i Get This GLUE OFF!!?

Rambo3456
Go to solution Solved by Ryujin2003,

As several others have said.... Goo Gone will work in the matter of seconds. I've used it to take automotive adhesive off my car from removing badges. No issues. I've used it to take tar off paint, sticker residue from refrigerators, sticker residue off people's MacBooks, and other residue types off computers (from fan stickers to store tags). It's the easiest way to do it without damaging anything. Goo Gone.

6 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

Goo-Gone this stuff works really well.

If that still doesn't quite do it try using the goo-gone with a razor blade.

Since the bottom is plastic, I wouldn't use a razor blade. You could get buy with a plastic knife or a credit card. Don't need anything fancy. Just something to scrape it off and a rough cloth to clean out the textured plastic.

To make a long story short when i was a kid i glued some velcro my ps2 so i could play it in the car without it sliding around i have sense ripped off the zelcro but im left with this glue i tryed nail pollish remover last night but i scrubbed for 3 hours you can see where that happend on the right but it still has tons of glue on it. HOW DO I GET THIS OFF PLEASE HELP

IMG_20180120_094500.jpg

Sent From The TechMaster Himself

Thanks For All The Help - Rambo3456

Just now, Klemmbrett said:

What type of glue did you use different glues have different solvents. 

i dont remeber. all i know about it is that i put it on there over 10 years ago and its still sticky

1 minute ago, Rambo3456 said:
1 minute ago, Klemmbrett said:

What type of glue did you use different glues have different solvents. 

i dont remeber. all i know about it is that i put it on there over 10 years ago and its still sticky

is it sticky or more like hard plastic ? if it has become hard try use sandpaper.

Put it in the freezer and peel the glue off when solid.

Sorry, forgot it was attached to your hardware :|

Alcohol might do it, but since it's tacky adhesive you might need something harsher like white spirit.

is it sticky or more like hard plastic ? if it has become hard try use sandpaper.

It's Sticky

alcohol and a scraper is what id go for to start with

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

99% alcohol often works for glue, try removing as much as possible with a scrapper
There are also some commercially available solvent to get rid of sticky residue, like Goof Off and what not. Just be sure to follow the safety instructions, wear gloves and safety glasses just in case it somehow splashes in your eyes.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

13 minutes ago, Clem Fandango said:

Put it in the freezer and peel the glue off when solid.

Ye put electronics in a freezer brilliant idea... why not suggest a heat gun or an oven or a hammer. 

Isopropyl alcohol should work. Acetone may work, but careful because it may suck the color out of plastics.

You could even try regular gasoline if you have a car around that's not diesel based , it's a good solvent. Could try WD-40 on a small area and see if it works OK, should have some solvent properties.

// GooGone is basically 60-95% petroleum distillates (naphta, kerosene, Stoddard solvents, turpentine) and up to 5% limonene (to give it citrus smell) .. you could just as well use gasoline or kerosene and turpentine and you get the same result.

Ye put electronics in a freezer brilliant idea... why not suggest a heat gun or an oven or a hammer. 

all three of those are things you might want to do to your electronics though :P 

Heatguns are great for getting off SMD stuff and re melting solder

The oven can be used to reset solder as well

You might need to mount something thats a tight fit, a light tap from a hammer can sometimes be a good solution

none of those help with the glue tho xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

LOL I need to wear my glasses more often. Reply edited. :)

13 minutes ago, InertiaSelling said:

Now that you mention it, I think a hammer might be a good idea. Have you tried that OP?

Yeah

9 minutes ago, Clem Fandango said:
14 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

LOL I need to wear my glasses more often. Reply edited. :)

ye i mean most wont do it but when you have someone not knowing about electronics it could end bad. So bettet to read first then answer. Nice glasses on your profile pic ;)

24 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

all three of those are things you might want to do to your electronics though :P 

Heatguns are great for getting off SMD stuff and re melting solder

The oven can be used to reset solder as well

You might need to mount something thats a tight fit, a light tap from a hammer can sometimes be a good solution

none of those help with the glue tho xD 

Srsly or is your ironic on other level than mine ? 

;)

2 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

ye i mean most wont do it but when you have someone not knowing about electronics it could end bad. So bettet to read first then answer. Nice glasses on your profile pic ;)

It was a mistake and got corrected :)

Yeah, still need bigger glasses though, or a cinema screen sized monitor :D

wash it off with hot water, and a spare toothbrush at first

then clean the rest off with alcohol 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Everyone suggesting alcohol, that isn't the best solution, it only works okay and takes way too much effort & alcohol to get anywhere with 99% & Acetone is going to make the plastic cloudy, so avoid that.

What you want is a solvent remover that is safe to use on plastics, should be able to find it in the cleaning aisle at the supermarket or any hardware store & use a razor blade or a very thing scraping blade of some sort & finish off with some paper towel.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

11 hours ago, Rambo3456 said:

Im not any help right now but i have 1 question

How the fuck did you play PS2 in the car??!?

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

As several others have said.... Goo Gone will work in the matter of seconds. I've used it to take automotive adhesive off my car from removing badges. No issues. I've used it to take tar off paint, sticker residue from refrigerators, sticker residue off people's MacBooks, and other residue types off computers (from fan stickers to store tags). It's the easiest way to do it without damaging anything. Goo Gone.

6 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

Since the bottom is plastic, I wouldn't use a razor blade. You could get buy with a plastic knife or a credit card. Don't need anything fancy. Just something to scrape it off and a rough cloth to clean out the textured plastic.

22 minutes ago, v0nn_toaster said:

Im not any help right now but i have 1 question

How the fuck did you play PS2 in the car??!?

My dad drove the car while i sat in the back (i only did it on long trips around 10hours)

I Had created a DIy mount for my TV and hooked the ps2 up to it. The Whole reason the Glue is there was because the ps2 would slide around while he was driving. So simple solution Velcro

4 minutes ago, Rambo3456 said:

My dad drove the car while i sat in the back (i only did it on long trips around 10hours)

I Had created a DIy mount for my TV and hooked the ps2 up to it. The Whole reason the Glue is there was because the ps2 would slide around while he was driving. So simple solution Velcro

What about power?

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200