2 Single stick RAM's as Dual Channel!?

Hi,

I know that Dual Channel RAM sticks are much better then a Single Channel stick. (FPS)

But what I would like to know is, if 2  RAM sticks were purchased separately and then add to a Motherboard will they work as a dual channel sticks.!? 

Because if i'm  purchasing  two individual  memory stick from the same manufacturer it's costing me much lesser. so i wanted to know if 2 single Ram sticks are recognized as a dual channel or i do i have to spend more and get a Dual channel kit?

HOPE MY QUESTIONS CLEAR..!!   

maxresdefault.jpg

21 minutes ago, Chuck03 said:

Hi,

I know that Dual Channel RAM sticks are much better then a Single Channel stick. (FPS)

But what I would like to know is, if 2  RAM sticks were purchased separately and then add to a Motherboard will they work as a dual channel sticks.!? 

Because if i'm  purchasing  two individual  memory stick from the same manufacturer it's costing me much lesser. so i wanted to know if 2 single Ram sticks are recognized as a dual channel or i do i have to spend more and get a Dual channel kit?

HOPE MY QUESTIONS CLEAR..!!   

maxresdefault.jpg

your mobo is dual channel, not your ram sticks but yea as long as they both have the same speed that will work but if not it will still work but then with both sticks on the speed of the slowest stick 

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

o yea and whatever you type in grey i can't read it 

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

19 minutes ago, Chuck03 said:

why just gray? 

I Think he has the black theme 

And yes your RAM works also in a dual channel configuration.
Just buy ram with the same speed and capacity your good. The speed it often marked like this PC3-12800 (1600MHz)

PC3 = DDR3

PC4 = DDR4

Number / 8 = MHz 

There is NO difference between memory sticks sold as a set of two (for dual channel) and memory sticks sold as one.

The motherboard decides if it's gonna use two memory sticks in dual channel mode or not.

You can even use memory sticks with different default frequencies, the motherboard will determine what frequency both memory sticks will support and use both in dual channel at that frequency. 

The memory sticks can even be from different manufacturers or different series, and it will work most of the time. 

Some motherboards may not like having one memory stick that's the SS (single side) type and the other of the DS (double side) type.  DS type sticks usually have a lot of chips on them (more than 8) and usually on both sides of the stick (but this is NOT a rule)

Some motherboards even allow using memory sticks of different sizes. For example you could have a 4 GB stick and a 2 GB stick and the board may use 2+2 in dual channel mode and the other 2 GB from the 4 GB stick in single channel mode.  If the motherboard doesn't do this, it will either work in single channel mode, or you'd have to move one of the sticks in another slot so that the sticks won't be configured as dual channel.

31 minutes ago, djboy6480 said:

I Think he has the black theme 

And yes your RAM works also in a dual channel configuration.
Just buy ram with the same speed and capacity your good. The speed it often marked like this PC3-12800 (1600MHz)

PC3 = DDR3

PC4 = DDR4

Number / 8 = MHz 

okay, so i could do that by adding the same stick twice to my cart right... that ways its same speed same capacity and same manufacturer 

18 minutes ago, mariushm said:

There is NO difference between memory sticks sold as a set of two (for dual channel) and memory sticks sold as one.

The motherboard decides if it's gonna use two memory sticks in dual channel mode or not.

You can even use memory sticks with different default frequencies, the motherboard will determine what frequency both memory sticks will support and use both in dual channel at that frequency. 

The memory sticks can even be from different manufacturers or different series, and it will work most of the time. 

Some motherboards may not like having one memory stick that's the SS (single side) type and the other of the DS (double side) type.  DS type sticks usually have a lot of chips on them (more than 8) and usually on both sides of the stick (but this is NOT a rule)

Some motherboards even allow using memory sticks of different sizes. For example you could have a 4 GB stick and a 2 GB stick and the board may use 2+2 in dual channel mode and the other 2 GB from the 4 GB stick in single channel mode.  If the motherboard doesn't do this, it will either work in single channel mode, or you'd have to move one of the sticks in another slot so that the sticks won't be configured as dual channel.

okay, This are the parts i'll be using for my AXT Build (MID TOWER)

Motherboard: Asus Strix B350-F (Four Ram slots)

Ram: BALLISTIX SPORT - 8GB (8GBx1)

And for a Mini-ITX (MINI ITX TOWER)

Motherboard: Asus Strix B350-I (Two Ram slots)

Ram: BALLISTIX SPORT - 8GB (8GBx1)

Please let me know if these motherboard's are capable of running 2 single sticks as dual channel 

Yes, of course they're capable. They're modern motherboards with a processor that supports a lot of memory sticks from various manufacturers.

If you want to be absolutely sure the memory sticks will run in dual channel, go to that motherboard's page and look up the memory sticks supported

Asus STRIX B350-F : http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/STRIX_B350-F_GAMING/ROG_STRIX_B350-F_GAMING_Memory_QVL_20170519.pdf

Asus STRIX B350-I : http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_B350-I_GAMING/DDR4-DRAM_Summit_CPU_memory_QVL_report_201712.pdf

Your Ballistix Sport memory sticks use memory chips with the code BLS8G4D240FSB , if you search for BLS8G4D240 in the PDF you will see that it's there.

You won't find FSB in the pdf, but you'll find this code with FSA and FSC at the end... which should be just codes for different revisions or production batches or maybe different packaging for the memory chips, no actual difference in the internal construction of the memory chips.

If your memory is not there, it doesn't mean it's not compatible, it just means Asus didn't have those memory sticks in their lab to be absolutely sure they work.

15 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yes, of course they're capable. They're modern motherboards with a processor that supports a lot of memory sticks from various manufacturers.

If you want to be absolutely sure the memory sticks will run in dual channel, go to that motherboard's page and look up the memory sticks supported

Asus STRIX B350-F : http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/STRIX_B350-F_GAMING/ROG_STRIX_B350-F_GAMING_Memory_QVL_20170519.pdf

Asus STRIX B350-I : http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_B350-I_GAMING/DDR4-DRAM_Summit_CPU_memory_QVL_report_201712.pdf

Your Ballistix Sport memory sticks use memory chips with the code BLS8G4D240FSB , if you search for BLS8G4D240 in the PDF you will see that it's there.

You won't find FSB in the pdf, but you'll find this code with FSA and FSC at the end... which should be just codes for different revisions or production batches or maybe different packaging for the memory chips, no actual difference in the internal construction of the memory chips.

If your memory is not there, it doesn't mean it's not compatible, it just means Asus didn't have those memory sticks in their lab to be absolutely sure they work.

So this means i can use two individual CRUCIAL BALLISTIX sticks as a dual channel. Rather then buying the Dual Kit from the manufacturer itself.  (8GBx2)

Thanks a lot was informational and thanks for the QVL PDF's. :)