CAT 6 (34 meters) only giving 400 mbps (50 mb/s) [HELP]

ajgamer1

Hello, I have installed Cat 6 inside my house with the length of 34 meters approx. and it is only giving 400 mbps which is 50 mb/s.

But I guess, It should give 10 GBPS or so based on the information shared on internet about it.

But I am not even getting anything as 1 GBPS.

Brand/Manufacturer of Cable: D-Link.

Brand/Manufacturer of RJ-45: D-Link.

Router: ASUS AC68U  (Gigabit Supporter)

Please advice me over here.

P.S.: CAT 6 is clearly written on the cable.

Thanks.

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.

Are you testing local speeds or download/upload speeds that are dependent on your ISP? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

That's correct.. 400/8= is 50

c29e576ceb538f391f0d7bbabf077a9a.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Are you testing local speeds or download/upload speeds that are dependent on your ISP? 

I have tested this with the setup this way.

34 Meters Ethernet from a 1 GBPS Ethernet Port Dell Laptop to ASUS AC68U and A WD My Cloud to the same Router.

So basically, I tried transferring multiple files from My Cloud (WD NAS) to my Dell Laptop.

It only gave 400 MBPS or so. 

It should give something near to 1 GBPS or so.

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.

3 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

That's correct.. 400/8= is 50.

I'm not sure, What you are referring to. But question is, Why CAT 6 is only giving 400 MBPS when it should give something like 1 GBPS.

I'm not too knowledgeable about this, but surely if there is a hard drive in the NAS or Laptop, that will slow down bandwidth? If both were SSDs maybe it'll go faster?

3 minutes ago, MrFriendism said:

34 Meters Ethernet from a 1 GBPS Ethernet Port Dell Laptop to ASUS AC68U and A WD My Cloud to the same Router.

So basically, I tried transferring multiple files from My Cloud (WD NAS) to my Dell Laptop.

Is the My Cloud also wired via ethernet too? Can you 

1 minute ago, dave3818 said:

I'm not too knowledgeable about this, but surely if there is a hard drive in the NAS or Laptop, that will slow down bandwidth? If both were SSDs maybe it'll go faster?

Even a slow 5400rpm HDD should be able to sustain 80-100MB/s~. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Obviously you don't and will not get 10gbit because of your PC and Router. 

But what are you referring to? From where to where are you measuring? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Is the My Cloud also wired via ethernet?

Of course, It's wired with Gigabit Ethernet only to the same router.

Also, When I check the copying and pasting from my nearby system of like 2 meter length wire. It gives 800 MBPS or more. (Which is very near to 1 GBPS).

Your connection will be only as fast as the slowest connection in the chain.

Cat6 may be rated for gigabit speeds (1000Mbps/125MBps), but if you are connecting to the worldwide interwebs with a connection from your ISP that only supports 20 Mbps, you wont go over that speed.

So like others asked, how are you testing this?

2 minutes ago, MrFriendism said:

I'm not sure, What you are referring to. But question is, Why CAT 6 is only giving 400 MBPS when it should give something like 1 GBPS.

He is referring to MB vs. Mb and how you are using them interchangeably which can cause confusion.

The small or large 'b' in sizes refers to completely different things.

1 MB = 8 Mb, so keep this in mind when referring to the speeds you're getting.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, MrFriendism said:

Also, When I check the copying and pasting from my nearby system of like 2 meter length wire. It gives 800 MBPS or more. (Which is very near to 1 GBPS).

it could be that your cable is of VERY poor quality if it slows down that much from 34 meters

do you have the packaging or the place where you bought it from?

Maybe you bought a shitty wire. I can get over 100MB/s out of my 100 foot Cat 5e run. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Your connection will be only as fast as the slowest connection in the chain.

Cat6 may be rated for gigabit speeds (1000Mbps/125MBps), but if you are connecting to the worldwide interwebs with a connection from your ISP that only supports 20 Mbps, you wont go over that speed.

So like others asked, how are you testing this?

He is referring to MB vs. Mb and how you are using them interchangeably which can cause confusion.

The small or large 'b' in sizes refers to completely different things.

1 MB = 8 Mb, so keep this in mind when referring to the speeds you're getting.

6 minutes ago, MrFriendism said:

Maybe you bought a shitty wire. 

It is D-Link CAT 6. D-Link is bad?

Just now, MrFriendism said:

It is D-Link CAT 6. D-Link is bad?

It shouldn't be, but CAT 6 at 34 meters should get you the same speed as a 2 meter cable. So if you get much better performance between the two devices with a shorter cable, then the problem is the cable.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

It shouldn't be, but CAT 6 at 34 meters should get you the same speed as a 2 meter cable. So if you get much better performance between the two devices with a shorter cable, then the problem is the cable.

How can I check for the problem? Is there any way you can help me with diagnosis?

I checked this with the Dell 3460 Laptop.

If you want, I can try checking the same laptop with the 2 meter wire to rule-out.

Please.

How can I check for the problem? Is there any way you can help me with diagnosis?

I checked this with the Dell 3460 Laptop.

If you want, I can try checking the same laptop with the 2 meter wire to rule-out.

Please.

Run the Dell laptop and the My Cloud both with short cables and then also in whatever configuration you want them to be in (with whatever length cables you'll use long term). And make sure to use the same file(s) for testing. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Run the Dell laptop and the My Cloud both with short cables and then also in whatever configuration you want them to be in (with whatever length cables you'll use long term).

I checked with a 2 meter CAT 5E Cable.. Dell and MyCloud both on short cable connected to same router.

It came as 90-120 mb/s (avg. 108)

What's your diagnosis now?

7 minutes ago, mikat said:

it could be that your cable is of VERY poor quality if it slows down that much from 34 meters

do you have the packaging or the place where you bought it from?

I agree. I have seen poor quality Cat6 only give 60% throughput in GigE and some testing with Cat7 with el-cheapo cables at 40% throughput. Plus GigE hates multiple connections. It's better to have a continuous run of copper than using couplers. 

1 minute ago, MrFriendism said:

I checked with a 2 meter CAT 5E Cable.. Dell and MyCloud both on short cable connected to same router.

Be careful with your letter capitalisation. You're using Mb/s and MB/s interchangeably. It's difficult to know what speeds you're actually getting if you're using different abbreviations for the same units or vice versa. 

3 minutes ago, MrFriendism said:

So you average 108 MB/s (864mbps) with short cables and 50MB/s (400mbps) with long cables while doing the same transfers (in the same direction -- always writing to and reading from the same device)?

If so, then there's a problem with your long cable(s).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Run the Dell laptop and the My Cloud both with short cables and then also in whatever configuration you want them to be in (with whatever length cables you'll use long term). And make sure to use the same file(s) for testing. 

I'm not sure if MyCloud devices can do this, but I know many other NAS system can be directly wired to a PC/laptop, so with a cable you know work you could check what speeds you would get and than try with the longer cable to see if you have any difference.

If the longer cable is (noticeable) worse: than it's the cable. If not: than the router hinders some performance.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Here is the packing box sticker on the D-Link 100 Meter Wiring Box which I have used.

UYVofJM.jpg