New laptop or SSD?

krkevin
Go to solution Solved by aisle9,

I'd go for the SSD. Absolutely no reason to replace a laptop that young unless it's just not performing well enough for you.

Hi, I currently own a Dell Inspiron 5447. The only major problem is that the hard drive is somewhat broken, and it crashes randomly sometimes. Since this laptop is a couple years old, I'm thinking of getting a new laptop, but don't want to spend too much. I'm also thinking of just getting a SSD instead, and hope it will fix the problem and even make my laptop better.

Should I get a SSD or a entirely new laptop instead? If new laptop, any suggestions?

-Kevin-

I'd go for the SSD. Absolutely no reason to replace a laptop that young unless it's just not performing well enough for you.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

8 minutes ago, krkevin said:

Hi, I currently own a Dell Inspiron 5447. The only major problem is that the hard drive is somewhat broken, and it crashes randomly sometimes. Since this laptop is a couple years old, I'm thinking of getting a new laptop, but don't want to spend too much. I'm also thinking of just getting a SSD instead, and hope it will fix the problem and even make my laptop better.

Should I get a SSD or a entirely new laptop instead? If new laptop, any suggestions?

Go grab a SSHD, SSD Performance and cheaper. I also would redo the thermal paste and clean the heatsink

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

Maybe you're still under warranty id check that out 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1?app=warranty

Just enter the service code at the above link to see if you still have a warranty and they should be able to replace the HDD if you send it in, if you cant give your laptop due to time-sensitive work or whatever they might also be able to give you advanced replacement

Remember to backup your HDD before you send it in

If you cant do the above id say grab an SSD, the 850 Evos are on sale right now as well

Newegg

Samsung Store

Thanks for the fast responses, I guess I'll get a SSD and make this laptop last longer. :)

1 minute ago, FirstArmada said:

Maybe you're still under warranty id check that out 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1?app=warranty

Just enter the service code at the above link to see if you still have a warranty and they should be able to replace the HDD if you send it in, if you cant give your laptop due to time-sensitive work or whatever they might also be able to give you advanced replacement

Remember to backup your HDD before you send it in

If you cant do the above id say grab an SSD, the 850 Evos are on sale right now as well

Newegg

Samsung Store

The thing is, I already got the original hard drive replaced by a third party repair shop, and even so, I'm pretty sure my warranty has ended by now.

-Kevin-

13 minutes ago, krkevin said:

if youre on a tight budget you can score a really good laptop from dellrefurbished.com or .ca 

i have bought serveral system from them and have had absolutely no issues with any of them

i scored a Latitude E6430 - i7 3740QM 8GB ram 256gb SSD and NVS 5200m for adobe and autocad acceleration

all for $380 CAD

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, mok said:

if youre on a tight budget you can score a really good laptop from dellrefurbished.com or .ca 

i have bought serveral system from them and have had absolutely no issues with any of them

i scored a Latitude E6430 - i7 3740QM 8GB ram 256gb SSD and NVS 5200m for adobe and autocad acceleration

all for $380 CAD

Thanks, but I've already decided to get a SSD instead. :P

-Kevin-

7 minutes ago, Killstreak said:

SSD Performance and cheaper

Cheaper yes, same performance absolutely not.  There's a reason I just invested in a 960gb nvme drive and it's not for the lulz.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

11 minutes ago, krkevin said:

Thanks for the fast responses, I guess I'll get a SSD and make this laptop last longer. :)

The thing is, I already got the original hard drive replaced by a third party repair shop, and even so, I'm pretty sure my warranty has ended by now.

Ahh then you could always go back to the repair shop and tell them the drive they installed was defective, also the service code is on the bottom of the laptop so it wouldn't hurt to get that checked as even if you did get a new HDD they may or may not notice and replace it. up to you though.

23 minutes ago, krkevin said:

SSD if cost to performance is the key then I think you'll be just fine. You can dump some cash into a new laptop but that is dependent on your use case.

3 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Ahh then you could always go back to the repair shop and tell them the drive they installed was defective, also the service code is on the bottom of the laptop so it wouldn't hurt to get that checked as even if you did get a new HDD they may or may not notice and replace it. up to you though.

Eh..I don't really think it's worth it, since the repair happened months ago. Not worth the hassle. Besides, I thought of buying a SSD a while back, since I wanted a performance boost. Warranty expired in 2015. :/

4 minutes ago, snodemon540 said:

SSD if cost to performance is the key then I think you'll be just fine. You can dump some cash into a new laptop but that is dependent on your use case.

Yep, I'm probably gonna get a SSD once my the crashes are too frequent.

-Kevin-