Looking for a TV

So I'm a longtime pc hardware guy. I know NOTHING about tvs. LITERALLY NOTHING. I want to have a tv that i can watch youtube videos on at a good res for as cheap as possible(<1000$)

If possible mirroring from iphone but if not youtube compatibility. I know NOTHING about tvs so bare with me. Looking for around 50 inches. Thanks

12 hours ago, MasterDebater said:

So I'm a longtime pc hardware guy. I know NOTHING about tvs. LITERALLY NOTHING. I want to have a tv that i can watch youtube videos on at a good res for as cheap as possible(<1000$)

If possible mirroring from iphone but if not youtube compatibility. I know NOTHING about tvs so bare with me. Looking for around 50 inches. Thanks

Don't focus on things like HDR support, which even cheaper models are 'supporting', but since they don't have enough backlight zones, it ends up being a cheap effect.

IMO, I would focus more on the quality of the screen, color accuracy, 4k support, Chroma 4:4:4 if you plan on hooking it up to a PC, low latency ( super super important ), etc ...

20 hours ago, jmack said:

Don't focus on things like HDR support, which even cheaper models are 'supporting', but since they don't have enough backlight zones, it ends up being a cheap effect.

IMO, I would focus more on the quality of the screen, color accuracy, 4k support, Chroma 4:4:4 if you plan on hooking it up to a PC, low latency ( super super important ), etc ...

Low latency is actually only important if the OP intends on gaming on the TV at all (console or PC), but since he hasn't mentioned that (Just iPhone mirroring and YouTube), it's possible that latency may be entirely unimportant to him.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 1/12/2018 at 12:11 PM, jmack said:

Eh, I think it's better to take cheaper 'HDR' TVs as 'It supports HDR Input'.  As in, you can feed it HDR and it can display it properly.

On paper, any UHD BD player can support SDR output.  In practice, the quality of the results vary by model, with banding and weird colors and other problems.  So a cheaper TV that supports HDR input may better display a UHD BD player's output with HDR than relying on the player itself to make the SDR conversion itself.

That said, yeah it'd be 'HDR Input' rather than 'HDR Display'.  Side by side the HDR may look somewhat better, depending on the display, but it's still not going to be the game changing experience of an expensive OLED.