Driver for Windows XP w/ GTX 1050

Hi,

Trying to find a driver that will work with XP for a GTX 1050. I like to retro game and want the least possible frame dips in games. Also might install Windows 7 on a second HDD which I can find drivers for. Does anyone know if 368.81 will work with card with XP. Thats the GTX 950/950 Ti driver and back.

Only reasonable option I could find for build right now at 128 with promo code from New Egg in US right now. Even though I have a 32 bit OS I have 8 GB memory to go to 64 bit OS like Win 10 or 7. Memory is DDR3 that is rarer on config. Hope to get GPU to work.

I don't even know if the 1050 is capable of working on Windows XP. I would hazard a guess it's not capable of working the best in XP, you'd probably be better off with an older ATI or Nvidia card(an early Radeon HD series or GeForce 8-9000 series card for example).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I know that 750 Ti does. That's what 368.81 supports. I'll see if it will boot in that wonderful 800x600 when I get it. Don't care if it would perform at full performance as long as I could get it to work. Just want a supported driver. Also better OS can be install on separate HDD. Old schooling with it.

the GTX 1050 only supports lowest is Window 7

not even Vista

so yea you need to get the 900 series for Windows XP support

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

• 2 weeks later...

I remembered that My MAME Machine had a 750 TI in it. So I put the 1050 in the MAME machine and installed the correct driver for it. It's running windows 10 64 bit. At first there was no video. It restarted, there was video on the MAME machine, I installed the driver.

The 750 TI card worked perfectly with the XP computer. Now at least I can play Far Cry without stupid issues like the reflections missing on the water. I did not get any reflection from trees or mountains on the water. That's why XP.

Check out link for Phil's Computer Lab.

It will describe issues that I confirmed with Far Cry. Didn't even try the 1050 with XP.

What "retro" games are you trying to play that don't work in compatibility mode? You could VM them instead of repartitioning. If it's retro enough, you probably won't even notice the difference in performance.

Also Far Cry Classic works perfectly fine in Win10 fwiw. I didn't have an issue with the reflections or shadows or anything like that. Ive got AMD though

It's not possible. I actually compose music in XP still and my 1060 is useless in XP. It won't even accelerate 2D...it blows. It works in XP but not for any sort of acceleration at all.

I even thought that maybe if I use the old school Intel HD it might be possible but I got black screen when I enabled the iGPU.

Good to know. I went with a 750 TI instead, and ran the 1050 with a Windows 10 MAME build. Just involve a driver reinstall to upgrade for Windows 10 on MAME machine. I will Up load comparisons of Far Cry on my rigs. I have Windows 10 on my AMD Main rig XP on The one with 750 TI in it.

Top Image is Windows 10 on Samsug 40" screen and bottom is Windows XP on 19" Dell. Note what I mean about reflections. I did try to be as similar as possible. On Windows 10 the water just looks blue with only surface reflections. In Windows XP I can see trees and mountains reflected on the water. This is done with my 750TI card in Windows XP rig, and my R290x in my AMD rig. 

I know you can hack AMD drivers to work on things that they're not supposed to work on, but I'm not sure about Nvidia. Haven't tried it.

Windows XP is EOL. Windows does not work with anyone for support anymore, and Nvidia isn't going to waste their time either.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Have a few windows 7 PCs. Just messing around in windows XP. Yes I know XP is Dead. I am running a 750 ti in it. I already said that I installed the 1050 in my MAME machine running Windows 10. Yes I should have got a 950 or 950 TI. The reason for the pictures was to compare looks of era.

4 hours ago, Eric Kazer said:

Have a few windows 7 PCs. Just messing around in windows XP. Yes I know XP is Dead. I am running a 750 ti in it. I already said that I installed the 1050 in my MAME machine running Windows 10. Yes I should have got a 950 or 950 TI. The reason for the pictures was to compare looks of era.

Um, your title is "Driver for Windows XP w/ GTX 1050". I am trying to answer your implied question by saying that Microsoft is no longer working with Nvidia on drivers for Win XP. Not sure what else you want to hear, or why you posted this threado.O 

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

• 7 months later...
On 1/24/2018 at 9:42 PM, dragonhart6505 said:

What "retro" games are you trying to play that don't work in compatibility mode? You could VM them instead of repartitioning. If it's retro enough, you probably won't even notice the difference in performance.

Also Far Cry Classic works perfectly fine in Win10 fwiw. I didn't have an issue with the reflections or shadows or anything like that. Ive got AMD though

Compatibility mode actually doesn't work very often for running retro games. The reason is because that mode was designed for office software primarily, and for simulating the software's expected running environment, to keep errors about missing files to show up.

This rarely helps with games because most of the issues with old games come to down to them not being able to access DLL files that the games think should be there, and that the games need to run properly, but aren't there. This is what causes error codes, and what causes a game to start up, freeze, and then crash.

It is very hit or miss, because it all comes down to what files the game utilizes, and whether they are present in the modern OS.

For example, "Feeding Frenzy" works fine in Windows 10, without problems or glitches whatsoever. "Grand Theft Auto 1" works, but the radios in the game won't play any audio. On the other hand, when ran on a 32-bit version of Windows XP, they work fine. "Titanic: Adventure Out of Time" doesn't work at all, but will work with a patch. "Glace" will not work period. It will launch, freeze, and crash.

A lot of these issues actually come from the games being made for 32-bit versions of the OS, being run on a 64-bit. That's another reason why compatibility mode rarely works.

As for setting up a virtual machine, that also rarely works out very well. The reason for this is because this is not what VMs are designed for either, same as compatibility mode. Secondly, accessing the hardware capable of running the games is tricky in such a setup. The VM has to use special drivers to utilize the hardware properly, instead of using their native drivers. This can cause other types of errors. Further, accessing a dedicated GPU is not possible without setting up a GPU passthrough. To do this, your VM of choice must support the technology, and so must your processor, video card, and motherboard. Integrated graphics technology does not require a passthrough, but also cannot run the games properly.

For these reasons, maintaining a separate partition or entire system for running old games is usually far easier and more practical. It is rarely so simple as to just run them in compatibility mode or in a virtual machine.

Until a proper emulator for these games is designed, or they are all updated with the proper patches, measures like this will be necessary for maintaining the playability of some older titles.

It's really a shame that Nvidia has not continued Windows XP support for their newer lines, because there really is a good need for it.

• 4 years later...