Meltdown wreaking havoc on Epic Games servers

ItsMitch

Epic Games relies heavily on the Cloud to keep all their services up and running and the company has revealed they're having some pretty heavy CPU problems. They posted this on their forums

Attention Fortnite community,

We wanted to provide a bit more context for the most recent login issues and service instability. All of our cloud services are affected by updates required to mitigate the Meltdown vulnerability. We heavily rely on cloud services to run our back-end and we may experience further service issues due to ongoing updates.

Unexpected issues may occur with our services over the next week as the cloud services we use are updated. We are working with our cloud service providers to prevent further issues and will do everything we can to mitigate and resolve any issues that arise as quickly as possible. Thank you all for understanding. Follow our twitter @FortniteGame for any future updates regarding this issue.

We will continue to update this thread with similar information as it comes to us.

They also posted a graph of the scale of their problems and it's pretty big one.

MwzsHRXQLVbmJ3pusNuGwn0ZQVjo9h8nRJHJhIo4d3XFqbvUYCj8EPq5jV7zeVEEcHAkraNBesbbNDW_UAlIjvw-hZBd80rKt7ZYl35nBIcfCCVyRvW5V7M7KVejv9tvVBHfgSKr

Looks like the patches *are* going to hurt mega companies like Epic, I dread to think how Amazon's servers are coping right now, especially Googles currently. I'll take a guess and say they're using Intel Xeons, dunno.

Source https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/forums/news/announcements/132642-epic-services-stability-update

Just now, potoooooooo said:

So turns out gaming is affected by the bug. How interesting

I wonder how bad PUBG will be now :thinking:

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

PUBG is doing just fine, havent had any issues with it at all

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

Only on the server end, it should affect gaming much on YOUR local machine though unless youre running a really old CPU

1 minute ago, zDeathMagneticz said:

It's not lol. The server lag is noticeable - unless I got unlucky since yesterday.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Just now, Eibe said:

It's not lol. The server lag is noticeable - unless I got unlucky since yesterday.

Its had server lag since the last patch, its not due to meltdown

3 minutes ago, zDeathMagneticz said:

How do you even know that? Or has PUBG said it's not due to Meltdown or pure speculation

6 minutes ago, zDeathMagneticz said:

Have the PUBG servers even been patched yet? (Not the PUBG server software but the OS its running on)

17 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Amazon's servers are coping right now, especially Googles currently

Google found the bug, you don't think they've been fixing the issue for them since said discovery, as for amazon they've had the info for quite some time as well.

12 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

It affects servers especially cloud servers and VM, not the game's execution so no not directly.

As for Pubg that game has always had issues, so trying to figure out what caused what is pointless.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

How do you even know that? Or has PUBG said it's not due to Meltdown or pure speculation

Shroud, TSM_Smak and several other people, myself included have had MUCH more server lag since the last patch, so while I dont know for a fact that its not meltdown related, you cant really say theyre having meltdown related server stability issues just based on the server lag

2 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

There has been a lot more server lag recently so...

10 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

There has been a lot more server lag recently so...

FeelsBanjoManjo

i wish they posted what cpu's they use, not sure if they can get sued for disclosing that

3 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

due to ongoing updates.

The topic seems bit derailed... any cloud would go havoc if all of the servers got panic patched at once.

To clarify again, its not due to meltdown patch, its due to the patch-ing.

Give it a week like EG stated and then we'll see the actual patch consequences.

Epic Games relies heavily on the Cloud to keep all their services up and running and the company has revealed they're having some pretty heavy CPU problems. They posted this on their forums

They also posted a graph of the scale of their problems and it's pretty big one.

MwzsHRXQLVbmJ3pusNuGwn0ZQVjo9h8nRJHJhIo4d3XFqbvUYCj8EPq5jV7zeVEEcHAkraNBesbbNDW_UAlIjvw-hZBd80rKt7ZYl35nBIcfCCVyRvW5V7M7KVejv9tvVBHfgSKr

Looks like the patches *are* going to hurt mega companies like Epic, I dread to think how Amazon's servers are coping right now, especially Googles currently. I'll take a guess and say they're using Intel Xeons, dunno.

Source https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/forums/news/announcements/132642-epic-services-stability-update

Maybe that'll push them to optimise UE4 for AMD processors as well. That would be sweet.

PS: I'm aware this isnt the same thing

3 hours ago, zDeathMagneticz said:

How do you know their servers havent had a patch for meltdown since the last patch? The industry knew about this for a while, we didnt.

3 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Google found the bug, you don't think they've been fixing the issue for them since said discovery, as for amazon they've had the info for quite some time as well.

It affects servers especially cloud servers and VM, not the game's execution so no not directly.

As for Pubg that game has always had issues, so trying to figure out what caused what is pointless.

It doesnt matter. It's like saying someone who drowned only drowned because a shark bit off their legs, it doesnt fucking matter does it, their lungs are filled with water and they're dead eiher way.

8 minutes ago, Tiuqu said:

The topic seems bit derailed... any cloud would go havoc if all of the servers got panic patched at once.

To clarify again, its not due to meltdown patch, its due to the patch-ing.

Give it a week like EG stated and then we'll see the actual patch consequences.

There's a CPU chart... There's a reason for it. The patch is fucking their couch.

Wonder if this might force Epic to rollback to maintain performance? It's no wonder the developers working on these bugs didn't want anything leaked. It will probably take some considerable effort to minimize the performance hits, and developers probably wanted to do so before making the vulnerabilities known.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

42 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

Maybe that'll push them to optimise UE4 for AMD processors as well. That would be sweet.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they tried for AMD.

5 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

The problem is also who ends up paying for this? 

Let's say I run my company, Bob services.

Bob services internet presence relies on AWS

AWS servers are in all likelihood at least partially intel based.

If Bob services experiences performance issues should Bob himself pay AWS more money? Because Bob Services probably has a contract with Amazon that states "I should get X reliability considering Y amount of traffic" and everything else is AWS problem.

Does Amazon increases their prices to take into account the additional computation requirements overnight? Will Amazon sue intel saying "Hey I built a business with clients like Bob services based on the expectations that your hardware would provide X performance and now it just doesn't for reasons unrelated to normal entropy"

Last but not least, would Amazon then turn to AMD for Epyc based solutions going forward after they've been burned so to speak with operating costs they had no way to foresee or take into account?

-------

Current Rig

-------

So does this mean that big companies will start taking lawsuits out against Intel?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

So does this mean that big companies will start taking lawsuits out against Intel?

It's unlikely they can because it would become a difficult case but intel's reputation might suffer, meaning when it's time to expand their data centers they might choose Epyc instead of Xeon.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, zDeathMagneticz said:

Only on the server end, it should affect gaming much on YOUR local machine though unless you're running a really old CPU

A 4970k is not remotely considered old and gets a drop on AC:O.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/windows-10-intel-security-update-is-now-available-six-triple-a-games-tested-in-cpu-bound-scenarios/

I imagine that it has more to do with whether the game is CPU bound and the number of memory flushes it triggers. It should be interesting to see the tests on the 2500k and G4560

3 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

A 4970k is not remotely considered old and gets a drop on AC:O.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/windows-10-intel-security-update-is-now-available-six-triple-a-games-tested-in-cpu-bound-scenarios/

I imagine that it has more to do with whether the game is CPU bound and the number of memory flushes it triggers. It should be interesting to see the tests on the 2500k and G4560

I said it shouldnt affect it MUCH, and it doesnt, and AC:O performance is shit anyways due to the DRM crap going on with it, notice its the only one that sees any more than a 5% drop

Just now, zDeathMagneticz said:

I said it shouldnt affect it MUCH, and it doesnt, and AC:O performance is shit anyways due to the DRM crap going on with it, notice its the only one that sees any more than a 5% drop

Yes, but the game also isn't THAT CPU bound. It's only lightly so. I imagine the effect may be significantly worse on the 2500k and G4560. Be interesting to see if it's continuous in it's growth or caps before the processor is just unable to run the game in question. In any case, there's also things like WoW and Destiny 2 to consider with the intrusiveness of their DRM as well.

1 minute ago, ravenshrike said:

Yes, but the game also isn't THAT CPU bound. It's only lightly so. I imagine the effect may be significantly worse on the 2500k and G4560. Be interesting to see if it's continuous in it's growth or caps before the processor is just unable to run the game in question. In any case, there's also things like WoW and Destiny 2 to consider with the intrusiveness of their DRM as well.

Did you play AC:O on PC? I have a 6700k and its almost constantly pegging my CPU, its the main limiting factor in that game. But yes I agree, I think much older CPUs will be severely hampered unfortunately, but only time will tell