Asus GPU Fan Service Ex.exe not working

Hey everyone, I just completed my first build and everything is going great, except I'm getting an error with my Asus 1080 TI. Every time I open the GPU tweak software and try to change the fans to silent mode or gaming mode, I get an error that states "ASUSGPUFanServiceEx.exe has stopped working." The fans are randomly speeding up and slowing down every few seconds. I've updated to the latest version of Windows 10, and all my drivers are good. Google has offered no help so far. Could someone point me in the right direction please? If this has already been answered, I apologize. 

Also, I believe this is the reason that none of my fans are spinning. 

I have the same problem. It happened after my last update for Windows 10. Also, My Ai suit III has stopped working for my Asus z370-E.

I am also having the similar issue but with my Asus GTX 1070 Strix. My fans are not spinning at all. Every time i boot up or relaunch Asus GPU Tweak2 i get the error message AsusGpuFanServiceEx.exe has stopped working and my fans are not spinning at all. Does anyone have a solution that does not involve rolling back to and older version of windows?

I noticed that they started spinning at 53C for a few seconds and than stopped. 

So I’ve had to do a complete reinstall of everything. First build, so I didn’t lose much. I think the error happened after I updated to the very latest version of Windows. I rolled back, but then every blue screen of death under the sun occurred. Finally, I hit the reset button on the motherboard and everything seemed fine again. 

Havent pushed it it too hard today, but I’m slowly upgrading my windows along, so I’ll let y’all know what build I’m on and if it happens again. 

I have had the same problem as well, but I kinda ignored whatever the message was (I know, I'm a shitty PC user) until I finally read the error last night, and glanced in over to my fans. I really don't want to go down in a Windows Update, that's just a hassle. 

It's the security update KB4056892 that breaks Asus Ai Suite and Fancontrol service.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Yesterday night after updating the windows started the error. Now I'm manually adjusting the fan speed. even giving the error it increases the speed of the fan. Wait to see, I will not outdate the windows.

Like Tam3n wrote - The security update creates the problem. After uninstalling that, everything works fine again. I'll take a security risk any day, over the health of my hardware.

Thanks for figuring it out Tam3n. As a first time builder, I just went through hell trying to figure out what the problem was. 

Now if if only I can get my EVGA CLC to stop whining when I click on anything. 

For me I changed it to manual for now it seems to fix it for me not sure for you guys but its still a pain in the ass and it was after the latest build of windows 10 I guess we will have to wait for one of the companies to fix it before updating back to the latest version of Windows.

3 hours ago, Phattrick87 said:

Like Tam3n wrote - The security update creates the problem. After uninstalling that, everything works fine again. I'll take a security risk any day, over the health of my hardware.

Would someone mind explaining how to roll back that update please?

21 hours ago, Tam3n said:

It's the security update KB4056892 that breaks Asus Ai Suite and Fancontrol service.

Thanks man, really appreciated that. As soon as I saw that notification I started to lose my cool a bit.

13 hours ago, JuicyMullet said:

Would someone mind explaining how to roll back that update please?

Hopefully this link is okay here, but this is how you would go about that bud.

https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to-roll-back-builds-and-uninstall-updates-on-windows-10/

Got the same problem (fans turn and off every few seconds)  but I don't want to roll back. I set my fans up with afterburner now. Will they fix that some time or will it just stay like this forever? 

Btw my ai suite is still working. And the fan problem occurred even before the security update. 

I find asus’s gpu software buggy as hell. 

What does their fan service software even do?  I deleted all my asus shit and just use evga precision X for everything. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

just to chime in, also had the gpufanservice error on windows startup or when starting gpu tweak ii after the windows update. uninstalled gputweak ii for now and using msi afterburner for the overclock on my asus gtx 1070. basically what happens when the fan service stops is the gpu reverts back to the base settings which is to run in quite mode. the fans will not come on until the temp reaches about 55*c. i'm sure asus will release an updated gputweak ii to address the issue. anyone having the problem i would recommend just uninstalling gputweak for the time being. msi afterburner is a little better software anyway as you get to use rivatuner and set up an osd. 

hope this helps anyone from wasting to much time uninstalling or reinstalling windows. 

Current System: MoonLightRyzen

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.9ghz  Board: Asus ROG C6H  Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 3000mhz  Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC in SLI M.2: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512gb x2 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB and 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM850x White  Cooler: XSPC/Phanteks Custom Loop 

Backup System: RedDragonV3.0

FX-8350 @ 4.7ghz, Asus TUF Sabertooth 990fx r3.0, MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X, Crucial Balistix Tracer 32gb, M.2 Samsung 960 Evo 250,

Seagate Firecudda 2tb, Seagate Barracuda 2tb, NZXT S340 Elite White, Kraken X62, Corsair RM750x, Hue+

On 1/7/2018 at 8:15 AM, Phattrick87 said:

I tried to uninstall and it gave me the error that this program is not installed on this product. Hopefully a patch comes out soon. more of an inconvenience than anything honestly, i have a 2nd screen to constantly monitor Heat and Fan Speeds

On 1/5/2018 at 11:33 PM, JuicyMullet said:

Hey everyone, I just completed my first build and everything is going great, except I'm getting an error with my Asus 1080 TI. Every time I open the GPU tweak software and try to change the fans to silent mode or gaming mode, I get an error that states "ASUSGPUFanServiceEx.exe has stopped working." The fans are randomly speeding up and slowing down every few seconds. I've updated to the latest version of Windows 10, and all my drivers are good. Google has offered no help so far. Could someone point me in the right direction please? If this has already been answered, I apologize. 

Cause, the protection updates for "Spectre (security vulnerability)", if i recall the WAN show, Luke said that code might need to be recompiled in order for it work, all we can do is indeed wait for update from Asus

3 minutes ago, Honderdors said:

Cause, the protection updates for "Spectre (security vulnerability)", if i recall the WAN show, Luke said that code might need to be recompiled in order for it work, all we can do is indeed wait for update from Asus

If ONLY I would have waited. I paid the price for not being patient with like 30 blue screens of death .

I just found a Beta on the Asus Website

After a few people tested and provided positive feedback, AI Suite 3 version 3.00.10 is now available for download. Let us know what you think!
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navig...30D8CE559DBBFY
or https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98800 or
alternative download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EBU...ew?usp=sharing

Please note that this is a beta.

I also read that it could be buggy ....

Just roll back before you installed the latest windows updates. I don't know of an actual fix right now. (im on win 8.1)

Hit the widows key and search for systempropertiesprotection.exe

then click System Restore...

then select choose a different restore point

You should then be able to select a good restore point based on date/time

Just read the prompts and you should be good to go.