8GB of RAM but only 6.95GB is usable?

Go to solution Solved by Catsrules,

Look under Peripherals\GFX Configuration in the bios try setting Integrated Graphics to disabled.

if that doesn't work set it to Forced and manually change the UMA Frame Buffer Size to the lowers it will go.

Hello, I recently noticed that in control panel, it says that I have 8GB of RAM but only 6.95GB is usable. I looked on the internet for solutions and nothing worked. I just want to get the most out of my RAM. It would be appreciated if someone could give me a solution.

Thanks, Landon

Specs:

CPU: AMD A6-7400k

RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2

GPU: GTX 750 Ti

Is your on-board video from the A6 7400k active? It usually isn't since you have a dedicated GPU however there usually is a setting on the BIOS to explicitly tell the mobo to keep the APU portion active (it can do things like supporting additional monitors or use the GPU cores for compute tasks, etc)

I'd check for that option first.

-------

Current Rig

-------

its system dedicated, you're never going to have all 8GB available

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I would check if both memory modules are "OK" (take one of modules out and see what changes).
Weird RAM value detected in BIOS may be a sign of unstable/damaged RAM/IMC/Socket.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

16 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Is your on-board video from the A6 7400k active? It usually isn't since you have a dedicated GPU however there usually is a setting on the BIOS to explicitly tell the mobo to keep the APU portion active (it can do things like supporting additional monitors or use the GPU cores for compute tasks, etc)

I'd check for that option first.

I just went into the BIOS and I saw nothing related to the on-board graphics from my APU. I would also assume that it isn't enabled since I have deleted all drivers and programs relating to the video portion of the APU.

Go into Task Manager, click on the second tab. There should be more info there.

Look under Peripherals\GFX Configuration in the bios try setting Integrated Graphics to disabled.

if that doesn't work set it to Forced and manually change the UMA Frame Buffer Size to the lowers it will go.

9 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Thanks so much! It worked!

• 2 years later...
On 1/3/2018 at 8:32 AM, Catsrules said:

Guys I need help. I tried disabling my inegrated graphics in the bios attempting to use the whole 8gb of my ram. And now, my monitor can't read my cpu. How can I restore it?

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 8:29 AM, ROOKS24 said:

Guys I need help. I tried disabling my inegrated graphics in the bios attempting to use the whole 8gb of my ram. And now, my monitor can't read my cpu. How can I restore it?

There is usually a jumper that will reset the BIOS to defaults settings check the motherboard manual. You can also disconnect the power from the computer and pull the BIOS battery. Wait a good 5-10 minutes just to be safe. That should be enough time for the bios memory to clear. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2020 at 3:29 PM, ROOKS24 said:

Yes you can only disable your integrated graphics if you have a dedicated graphics card - the monitor cable needs to go to the dedicated card too of course.

Intel i9-13900K - Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite DDR4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB DDR4 3200 C16 - Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 4090 24GB - Corsair 4000D Airflow - 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  - Corsair AX1600i 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W - Aorus FI27Q - Noctua NH-D15 running 3 fans (CPU) - 6 x NF-A12x25 (3 intake, 3 exhaust) - Aorus K1 - Aorus M5 - Aorus AMP500 - Aorus H5 - Corsair TC70 - Win 11 Pro

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2018 at 9:32 PM, Catsrules said:

Thanks dude

• 1 year later...

Same problem. I think it's from iGPU. My Dedicated GPU is broken and i am using HD 2000 (i5 2500 Sandy Bridge) and i set on BIOS 1024mb (VRAM). I think that's why. Tomorrow will arrive my R9 270x for 60 euros.