Using a lcd TV as a monitor. Any drawbacks?

SilverSurfer

Hi im thinking of using my Samsung UE40ES6100 as a main pc screen. Ive tried it a few times, and the input lag is pretty much unnoticable to me.

I was just wondering if there's stuff on the long run that would be drawbacks, or if i'm better of buying a separate monitor.

I usually play FPS if thats any help.

Kind regards and thanks in advance

TV has many drawbacks:

1- The resolution is super low for their size. Making the pixel density awful. TV are designed to be viewed from your sofa, not desk The result is that the image won't be sharp, and text will be hard to read.

2- Colors. TV's are designed for "Movie" viewing, so it doesn't care about color when displaying the image, and have a very blue tone on it, because it makes dark scene looks better on your sofa.

3- Glossy. The Samsung UE40ES6100 TV is glossy.. already glossy monitor is bad.. having this in your room on your desk.. might as well bring a mirror. You can't focus on your work or what you are doing.. you'll have to boost the brightness level to offset the reflection, which will hurt your eyes.

4- Input Lag. TV's has an input lag of over 100ms due to image processing it does to try and sharpen the image so that it doesn't look that bad due to the low resolution for it's size at the distance of you on the sofa from the TV. This video shows the input lag of TV in action:

Sure there are drawbacks but if you are comfortable with it then why not, go for it.

=

I use a 32" TV on my PC at the moment and honestly I prefer the gaming experience, text is quite easily readable (although a higher PPI monitor will be clearer) and my particular TV has a response time of 14ms. I'm considering sticking with it, but it does have a 1.5" glossy bezel :(

"An Excellent Signature"

I mean a decent enough 22 inch 1080p monitor only goes for like what, $170 now-a-days? I have a 24 inch 720p tv in my room and when i get up close to it, the screen looks so 'pixelated' it makes me almost sick lol. I mean using the TV now really shouldn't detriment you in anyway. I would just start saving up for a decent 1080p monitor while you use the TV as your display. In my opinion, the monitor is one of the few things that you are always interacting with. So that's why I think having a nice monitor is a must.

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Thanks for all the replies, i might look into a decent monitor then. I saw a youtube video about a pretty cool asus one the other day.

As for my tv, the input lag is really unnoticable and i do sit about 2 meters away from it so i dont really notice the pixelation.

Have used a 46 inch 1080p sony bravia for 3+ years has a matte screen and input lag seems fine over HDMI. I usually sit around 2 meters away from the display. Have noticed lately that my back light is staring to dim on either edge of the display pretty sure its a fluorescent back light.

From my experience I spend about a third of my time on my 55" LED Samsung and for gaming I usually sit about 2-2.5 metres (6-7.5 feet) away from the screen but if I'm reading I sit another foot or so back which for me makes it a bit easier. This is in the lounge though so obviously not everyone has the space to do this. I get away with it because I do night shift so on my days off everyone else is asleep and I have free reign of the lounge, otherwise I've got a 27" 1440p Crossover in my room.

To actually answer your question I found the input lag to be minimal but that is using the "Game Mode" menu option. But as far as having the TV as my only monitor I probably wouldn't do that, if you can get away with having a 24"-27" and also a TV as your second monitor then that's the best IMO. :)

From my experience I spend about a third of my time on my 55" LED Samsung and for gaming I usually sit about 2-2.5 metres (6-7.5 feet) away from the screen but if I'm reading I sit another foot or so back which for me makes it a bit easier. This is in the lounge though so obviously not everyone has the space to do this. I get away with it because I do night shift so on my days off everyone else is asleep and I have free reign of the lounge, otherwise I've got a 27" 1440p Crossover in my room.

To actually answer your question I found the input lag to be minimal but that is using the "Game Mode" menu option. But as far as having the TV as my only monitor I probably wouldn't do that, if you can get away with having a 24"-27" and also a TV as your second monitor then that's the best IMO. :)

I renamed my input to PC DVI and like you i notice input lag to be really minimal. What 1440p monitor are you using? I might look into it.

I got one the same as this:

[url=http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CROSSOVER-27Q-LED-P-27-DVI-Dual-S-IPS-QHD-2560X1440-16-9-Pivot-Tilt-Monitor-/321019166718?pt=AU_comp_monitor&hash=item4abe3bbffe&_uhb=1#ht_9945wt_1145]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CROSSOVER-27Q-LED-P-27-DVI-Dual-S-IPS-QHD-2560X1440-16-9-Pivot-Tilt-Monitor-/321019166718?pt=AU_comp_monitor&hash=item4abe3bbffe&_uhb=1#ht_9945wt_1145[/url=http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CROSSOVER-27Q-LED-P-27-DVI-Dual-S-IPS-QHD-2560X1440-16-9-Pivot-Tilt-Monitor-/321019166718?pt=AU_comp_monitor&hash=item4abe3bbffe&_uhb=1#ht_9945wt_1145]

I didn't pay for a perfect pixel model but I was lucky and got no bad pixels :D Look like they are getting more expensive though, I paid $40 less for mine.