DVI or DP for best low-latency csgo experience?

2Slow4mebro

Hi, 

I am wondering as to which kind of connection I should use for my PC setup. 

Do most csgo pros use DVI or DP? Which is the best for csgo?

Edit: I mean DVI-D Dual Link @ 144hz, 1080p vs DP @ 144hz, 1080p. Monitor is the aoc g2460pf.

Thanks.

Which DVI are you speaking about?

DVI-A, DVI-I, DVI-D?  Each of those varies.  Also, dual link or single link DVI?

Also, what resolutions are you pushing and Hz?

If you trying to go for like some crazy 240 refresh rate than DP can do that.  DVI-D (dual link) can manage up to 120Hz on 1080P and 1200P.  So, boils down to what refresh and resolution you are aiming to run the game at.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

DVI-A, DVI-I, DVI-D?  Each of those varies.  Also, dual link or single link DVI?

DVI-D Dual Link @ 144hz vs DP @ 144hz

Which one has a lower latency?

3 minutes ago, 2Slow4mebro said:

DVI-D Dual Link @ 144hz vs DP @ 144hz

Which one has a lower latency?

?

That going to boil down to your monitor and how its controller is configured.   More or less, the hardware in the screen.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

10 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

If you trying to go for like some crazy 240 refresh rate than DP can do that.  DVI-D (dual link) can manage up to 120Hz on 1080P and 1200P.  So, boils down to what refresh and resolution you are aiming to run the game at.

Dual-link DVI can handle 144Hz at 1080p.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I was misinformed when writing this it is not true

you have to use dp because dvi can not do 144hz at 1080

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Dual-link DVI can handle 144Hz at 1080p.

I seen other forums state this but have yet to see official standards state it.  The most I found stated officially is 120Hz for the standard at those resolutions.

Now, there is no doubt DVI-D cables out there that can do it (I have a 24AWG DVI-DL hooked to a Overlord monitor).  But, don't expect that out of some little DVI cable.

29 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

I seen other forums state this but have yet to see official standards state it.  The most I found stated officially is 120Hz for the standard at those resolutions.

Now, there is no doubt DVI-D cables out there that can do it (I have a 24AWG DVI-DL hooked to a Overlord monitor).  But, don't expect that out of some little DVI cable.

You won't find anything like that, standards don't have exhaustive lists of supported resolutions because most standards will allow any format, it's just a matter of bandwidth. DVI supports 165 megapixels per second per link (330 Mpx/s for Dual-Link) assuming 24-bit pixels, and anything that fits inside that bandwidth is supported. It doesn't have a particular set of formats that have special "support" that is required to use the format.

1080p 144 Hz with these timings, which is used on real 144 Hz monitors, falls within DL-DVI's maximum official pixel clock (330 MHz), and is therefore supported without any overclocking or "unofficial" configurations.

There are numerous 1080p monitors (XL2411Z and GN246HL come to mind) which only support 144 Hz over DVI, so it's a bit ridiculous to say DVI can't do 1080p 144 Hz.

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

I can tell you that it does 144Hz because I have a VG248QE display that I was using at 144Hz with a DVI cable. As long as it's dual-link and follows the spec, all DVI cables can do 144Hz at 1080p.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 hour ago, Cryptica135 said:

It absolutely can do 144Hz at 1080p as long as it's dual-link.

41 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

There are numerous 1080p monitors (XL2411Z and GN246HL come to mind) which only support 144 Hz over DVI, so it's a bit ridiculous to say DVI can't do 1080p 144 Hz.

I no where stated it can't do 144Hz.  I said it can manage up to 120Hz off the information I can verify.  Along with stating that there is no doubt cables and monitors capable since not all monitor controllers and cables equal to each other.

Right now I am still looking through CVT-RB and calculations to verify for myself.

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

I no where stated it can't do 144Hz.  I said it can manage up to 120Hz off the information I can verify.  Along with stating that there is no doubt cables and monitors capable since not all monitor controllers and cables equal to each other.

Right now I am still looking through CVT-RB and calculations to verify for myself.

It needs custom timings, CVT-RB and other standardized formulas are slightly too much.

5 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It needs custom timings, CVT-RB and other standardized formulas are slightly too much.

Then, that means the end user must set those timings or companies are setting those outside standard timings.

Still means those are not official capabilities of DVI-DL.

Considering the OP did not state what monitor is being used, I give off standards.  Now, if it was BenQ, Overlord, and other monitors with custom controllers.  Then I would of known the monitor in question is not a standard monitor.

2 hours ago, Cryptica135 said:

DVI-I can't, DVI-D can.

I got a 144hz monitor for Christmas and I can't even tell a difference unless I'm looking at a comparison on testufo or something.  I used the site because I was sure I wasn't actually getting 144hz.  But I am. :(

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

35 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

DVI-I can't, DVI-D can.

I got a 144hz monitor for Christmas and I can't even tell a difference unless I'm looking at a comparison on testufo or something.  I used the site because I was sure I wasn't actually getting 144hz.  But I am. :(

This is wrong too.

On 1/26/2017 at 10:38 PM, Glenwing said:

What's the difference between DVI-D and DVI-I?

DVI-I is a DVI + VGA combo port. Passive DVI-to-VGA adapters will only work in these special combo ports, they will not work in standard DVI-D ports. DVI-I ports can be identified by four extra pins surrounding the long pin on the side of the connector (refer to the images above), which are used for the VGA signals. These pins are not present on DVI ports that don't have VGA capability (DVI-D ports), to prevent VGA adapters from fitting into these ports.

All other DVI cables and adapters will function identically in DVI-D ports and DVI-I ports. A DVI-I port can do everything that a DVI-D port can do, plus VGA adapter compatibility. If you are not using a VGA adapter, there is no difference between a DVI-D and a DVI-I port.

26 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

This is wrong too.

It's late.  I was thinking Dual vs Single link. :$

Btw, Happy New Year!

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440