Will a cable splitter between a TV and a router make a difference in quality/speed?

I'm going to be hooking up a splitter between my router and TV. 

WIll the router become slower, or will the TV have any quality changes???

Thank you!

Are you talking about ethernet?

Because you cannot "split" an ethernet cable.

You need to use a switch or a hub.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

As long as you use a quality coaxial splitter you shouldn't see any performance degradation. Ideally, you would use a splitter designed for digital cable or satellite signals, stay away from the cheap ones and make sure to install terminators on any unused ports to prevent signal bleed.

19 minutes ago, robrousejr said:

'm going to be hooking up a splitter between my router and TV. 

Thank you!

you may run into trouble if there are any signal filters inline.  also just winging it you may have signal issues with the modem as every time you split the signal there is extra loss with the rf feeding the devices.  modems and tv boxes have a good range of signal they will operate at the problem is not knowing where you are at now, you could push the modem out of operational levels by the extra loss you are adding if you are close to the limit now.  make sure you "snug" up all your fittings. do not use twist on coax fitting or crimp coax fitting you need to have compression fitting that are properly installed if you are making your own or you will run in to connectivity problems with your modem.

27 minutes ago, robrousejr said:

I'm going to be hooking up a splitter between my router and TV. 

Thank you!

If your spliting the coax, yes it can cause issues. The cable modem or Modem/Router combo which is what you probably have, needs to have the best signal. Too many spliters in line can kill your internet service. Ideally you need the modem connected to the first spliter coming in from the main line. I can tell you Comcast for instance will install a Two way spliter on the main line coming in that does TV and Internet. The TV run can be split again as cable boxes dont need as good of signal. 

Also, dont over size the spliter. Meaning if you only need a two way then only get a two way. And do as @NetTechGuy said, buy high quality and make sure any un used ports are terminated. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

...He's clearly talking about coax cable from the cable company... o.O

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

...He's clearly talking about coax cable from the cable company... o.O

Routers output ethernet tho.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You aren't seriously trying the 'Well, technically...' thing, are you?

25 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Most people get routers and modems confused. Ive gotten sick of trying to teach them the difference. LOL

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It can go well using a good splitter but much is depending on your existing signal quality, if its already weak or having lot of noise your connection can get in trouble using a splitter.

Try to make the cable to your modem short as posible and use pretty good coax, not the very tinny coax what people get sometimes from the isp! they just suck its cheap chinese.

Try to use exact same cable type as the incomming one from your street, thats the most effective way.

Also you maybe want to ground the splitter to avoid some troubles, in my experiance it really helped to stable clean signal, but you need to find out what works the best.

In my case the coax from isp comming in my house was pretty old from the `70s, that is tricky to keep things stable.

On 12/27/2017 at 9:23 PM, Enderman said:

"Technically", yes you can. But you end up with 2x ethernet ports that are maxed at 100 Mbps because each port is only using 2 pairs (4 wires) instead of the full 4 pairs that Gigabit requires.

But it's very obvious the OP is talking about Coax - the line coming in that feeds the TV signal and the Cable Modem.

Most people confuse Modem and Router - not to mention a lot of ISP's are using "imprecise" terminology now anyway due to the fact that most "Modems" are actually combination gateway devices that are also full blown routers.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)