Average Data Useage Quadrupled.

Baby it's hot outside, so let's Netflix and chill

Original Article: https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/100062675/baby-its-hot-outside-so-lets-netflix-and-chill

"According to internet provider Chorus, average household demand for broadband has quadrupled from 44 gigabytes a month in December 2014 to 173 gigabytes in November 2017. 

It really started to pick up after Netflix was introduced in March 2015, says Chorus spokesman Nathan Beaumont.

Chorus crunched all of its 2017 broadband usage numbers.

The highest data usage times were crammed into the end of the year, despite the record high temperatures outside.

New Zealand's peak broadband moment for 2017 was at 9.10pm on Sunday, November 19, when 1.328 terabit (Tbps) a second was going through the cables – the equivalent of 260,000 high-definition movies."

"Chorus' Beaumont says the daily data use cycles validates the rise of Netflix and chill."

- Audrey Malone, Sunday Star Times.

This really goes to show how much society has shifted in a few years. Back in 2014 I hardly used Netflix, now the use of it or other services are almost daily.

More prominent use of YouTube would show in this data. It really gets you thinking on how the internet use has evolved. What is your monthly use? Why? Keen to know!

5 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

This really goes to show how much society has shifted in a few years. Back in 2014 I hardly used Netflix, now the use of it or other services are almost daily.

More prominent use of YouTube would show in this data. It really gets you thinking on how the internet use has evolved. What is your monthly use? Why? Keen to know!

And all made possible by the UFB upgrade :) Even with all the teething problems this jump in data usage just wouldn't have been possible without the upgrade.

I use ADSL as nothing else (Apart from satellite) is available :/

15 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

What is your monthly use? Why? Keen to know!

I use something around 1TB a month, like e.g. Vnstat says I used 947GB in November. It's used for all sorts of stuff, like e.g. I do watch a lot of Youtube and Netflix and I especially like binge-watching stuff on Netflix, but it also goes into downloading games on Steam, various kinds of OSes and big applications, I run a couple of servers, like e.g. Nextcloud for synchronizing mine and my boyfriend's files, calendars and contacts between all of our computers, phones, tablets and stuff. Oh, and I'm running a Mumble-server 24/7.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

I use ADSL as nothing else (Apart from satellite) is available :/

Well that sucks, I initially had problems getting fibre due to shared driveway issues and Chorus didn't bother putting VDSL in to the cabinet for my area even though every block one over from us did get it. I initially solved that by getting long range 100Mbps wireless so that might be an option for you if anyone in your area offers it.

Full solution ended up buying a house where I could get it.

P.S. Chorus is so bloody useless, won't even use a new unused duct to put the fibre through because they don't know if it's clear all the way to the end and they only have short scoping cables. Bunch of idiots also won't connect a single house and must be all houses on the access way or none.

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

This only one ISP in new zealand, but okay.

You likely need some background info on New Zealand. Chorus operates the entire back-end fibre infrastructure of the country so their figures are all inclusive. Some areas of the country have local fibre installers for the UFB network but they all connect to Chorus and every ISP share the infrastructure, each ISP does handle routing and peering agreements etc but this all happens on the same actual fibre cabling and fibre switching.

Just now, leadeater said:

Well that sucks, I initially had problems getting fibre due to shared driveway issues and Chorus didn't bother putting VDSL in to the cabinet for my area even though every block one over from us did get it. I initially solved that by getting long range 100Mbps wireless so that might be an option for you if anyone in your area offers it.

Full solution ended up buying a house where I could get it.

P.S. Chorus is so bloody useless, won't even use a new unused duct to put the fibre through because they don't know if it's clear all the way to the end and they only have short scoping cables. Bunch of idiots also won't connect a single house and must be all houses on the access way or none.

I live in rural NZ. Lucky to even get ADSL ;). Chorus are rediculous! As are a lot of companies in NZ however.

3 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I live in rural NZ. Lucky to even get ADSL ;). Chorus are rediculous! As are a lot of companies in NZ however.

The wireless service I was using was for rural areas, I was just using it in town because it was the best option.

Here is their coverage map just to give you an idea of how far long range wireless works.

AkIqsN.jpg

No idea if there is anyone with a similar service in your area though.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You likely need some background info on New Zealand. Chorus operates the entire back-end fibre infrastructure of the country so their figures are all inclusive. Some areas of the country have local fibre installers for the UFB network but they all connect to Chorus and every ISP share the infrastructure, each ISP does handle routing and peering agreements etc but this all happens on the same actual fibre cabling and fibre switching.

the thread title doesn't specify a country so its misleading.

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

It's only a title and if you don't bother to read the thread or the source you can only blame yourself for getting mislead ;). Sure it would be better if it said "in New Zealand" in the title but the titles can't always tell you everything else they would be too long. Plus it's about NZ so I don't mind if people get baited in to reading about us lol.

I wonder if this would lead to IPv6 to finally take off? Have we actually reached the point that the world has ran out of IP addresses? Some VPN vendors [here ] do not like IPv6 because of security and privacy concerns or VPN vendors just need to support it.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

@RorzNZ Btw there is a quote feature in the text editor you can use to put text in to rather than using quotation marks, also makes it quicker for people used to looking for quote boxes to see what is your writing and what is from the source.

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I wonder if this would lead to IPv6 to finally take off? Have we actually reached the point that the world has ran out of IP addresses? Some VPN vendors [here ] do not like IPv6 because of security and privacy concerns or VPN vendors just need to support it.

Aren't the security problems with IPV6 and VPNs simply that the VPN prodiders don't support IPv6 and that means any IPv6 traffic doesn't go through it, called IPv6 leak?

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The wireless service I was using was for rural areas, I was just using it in town because it was the best option.

Here is their coverage map just to give you an idea of how far long range wireless works.

AkIqsN.jpg

No idea if there is anyone with a similar service in your area though.

Otago is a bit more expensive for Satellite!

14 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

This probably is mirrored in other first world countries, like Canada and the UK.

"Average Data Useage Quadrupled." 
No shit Sherlocks. 
Higher video quality = higher bandwidth usage. 1+1=2

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 631 3.3GHz OC 1,450V core, stock cooler
GPU: Palit GTS 450 Core Voltage: 1037mV, Core Clock 860MHz, Memory Clock 1870MHz
RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 4GB x1 
Motherboard: AsRock a75m-hvs 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: Asus ROG Strix 1070
RAM: G SKill Trident Z RGB 3200 CL14
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x370-F Gaming
Monitor: Aorus AD27QD

1 minute ago, m0nss7erKill said:

"Average Data Useage Quadrupled." 
No shit Sherlocks. 
Higher video quality = higher bandwidth usage. 1+1=2

From 2014 - 2017 still 4k as standard for most media. I guess it varies though.

39 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

For my bill cycle of late October to late November my household used around 400GB of data. But from late November to this late December the use doubled to nearly 800GB. I have no idea what happened there. O.o

I use the internet to watch Youtube, Netflix, browsing on here, and gaming. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Just now, RorzNZ said:

Otago is a bit more expensive for Satellite!

It's not satellite, it's long range wireless (Wifi) using Ubiquiti wireless equipment. I'd post a link to the ISP but it's advertising so I can't but they aren't an option for you anyway, I will say 100Mbps with 100GB cap is $99 and 200GB cap is $149 but they have 300GB plan and unlimited above those as well as plans below the ones I mentioned. Not bad pricing when your only other choice is bad ADSL that costs similar.

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/powerbeam-ac-gen2/

It's about $150 NZD for the dish

@leadeater For a second there I thought this thread be interesting and actually meaningful.

Too bad OP only cares about New Zealand and not the rest of the world. This thread title is misleading and frankly should have been "Average Data Usage Quadrupled in New Zealand" from the beginning.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Aren't the security problems with IPV6 and VPNs simply that the VPN prodiders don't support IPv6 and that means any IPv6 traffic doesn't go through it, called IPv6 leak?

Yeah. Many of them don't feel like supporting IPv6 just yet because the world hasn't ran out of IP addresses just yet, at least according to them. But it would be good if they did support IPv6.

42 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

For my phone, I have an unlimited talk, text + 14 GB (10GB for media streaming + 4GB data for browsing) of data for 20 USD per month. I just hope they finally deploy 700 MHz LTE to my address and repurpose their existing 1800 MHz LTE to 20 x 20 MHz LTE-A which is the true "4G" as their currently pathetic 5x5 MHz LTE is congested af.

According to Windows 10's Data Usage, I've used 150 GB of data for a month which doesn't include the other devices from my family members and the Chromecast and my iPad and iPhone so it's probably more.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

@leadeater For a second there I thought this thread be interesting and actually meaningful.

Too bad OP only cares about New Zealand and not the rest of the world. This thread title is misleading and frankly should have been "Average Data Usage Quadrupled in New Zealand" from the beginning.

So everyone needs to add the country to the titles now? For all US news stories?

As I said I do agree it should have said it but there is no requirement for it and the point of a title is to get people to read it so I'd say it's doing it's job well :). You'll also find this is similar to most other countries so it could be meaningful to everyone.

Edit:

Also the source is about NZ, so reporting on the rest of the world isn't possible if the source doesn't include it.

40 minutes ago, FriendlyNonMurderingSort said:

Meanwhile, in convict town...

5196936123.png

6493386975.png

6910799518.png

6910804887.png

Finding a speed test host that can actually do 1Gbps/1Gbps is kinda hard, normally I can find one in NZ and Aus that can do it but I guess things are busy right now.