i5 8400 or i7 8700

All,

I am putting together a budget build under 1k.

• Play Games
  • Virtual Machines
    • I want to be able to create a couple VMs so I can setup coding environments. Won't run more than one or two at a time.

Looking at the following;

• i5 8400 or i7 8700
  • 16g RAM
  • GTX 1050ti w/4g or GTX 1060 w/6g

Is the CPU a good choice? Will it work for VMs? I thought 1060 over the 1050ti would be an easy choice but I am unsure about the cards. I realize that the price difference between the CPU's and video cards is ~110 but that is a lot when you are trying to stay on budget. 

Thanks for any help you can give (had to change CPU supposed to be 8700 not 8400)

2 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

There's no such thing as an i7 8400.

Miss typed

Hyperthreading usually improves things by up to 20% if the application can even take advantage of it. Most of the time, at the time of release, the i7 doesn't perform much better than the i5 in gaming.

In the use case of virtual machines, unless you're actively doing something on all of them or do have a high performance use case, I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of available cores. The OSes are going to idle just like anything else.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Hyperthreading usually improves things by up to 20% if the application can even take advantage of it. Most of the time, at the time of release, the i7 doesn't perform much better than the i5 in gaming.

In the use case of virtual machines, unless you're actively doing something on all of them or do have a high performance use case, I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of available cores. The OSes are going to idle just like anything else.

Nothing fancy. Most of the time it will be one VM running, just trying to keep things clean and separated from the rest of the os.

2 minutes ago, Maodun_Kross said:

Nothing fancy. Most of the time it will be one VM running, just trying to keep things clean and separated from the rest of the os.

Yeah, then I wouldn't worry about whether or not the system can handle 6 or 12 threads.

I'm pretty sure I ran VMs on a Core 2 Duo back in the day. :P

If you go with the i7, then your build might peak over $1k, since it's $200 more than the i5. 

Im experimenting with an 8100 build, and that's only $70 less than the 8400. With a 1050 ti and some redundancy, it came out to around $850.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Having in mind the i5 8400 is an i7 7700k I'd actually just get it, it pairs alright with a 1070 Ti makes for a great gaming station.

The i7 8700 would require the GTX 1080 Ti to take all your extra money worth of investment, if you're looking for raw gaming performance increase without much multi-tasking.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)